Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michael Ricci...
Quote | Reply
If you read this, I have a great picture you leading 4-5 of us out of the transition onto the run at Nationals....let me know if you want it. Also, it seemed like we were both stuck in a group during the bike segment, unable to break away, eventually costing us time. I would like your thoughts on the bike "group". One of the 5 did catch a 2 min penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Ricci... [tri2fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey - yeah I would love to see the pic! Email me off line at mike@d3multisport.com

Thanks.

Thoughts on the 'group': I rode hard from the beginning and honestly haven't been caught all year on the bike (probably due to my lackluster swimming) and I passed about 7 guys right away and when I heard someone pulling up to me I was surprised. When he peeled in front of me and about 4 more followed I tried to break away. I would get away for maybe 30" and then I would get caught again. This went on and on for about 10 miles. At 15 I finally when as hard as I could and broke from the pack and passed another pack. But then the two packs formed and re-passed me. At that point an official pulled up and I sat up and stopped pedaling. I sat up from 20 miles on in, and soft pedaled in careful to keep my legal distance. There was nothing one person could do and I know I killed my run be trying to break away. I think I could have sat back and biked a minute slower and ran a little faster had I not tried to break away about 8 times. I learned my lesson.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Ricci... [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be happy to send you the picture, it will be tonight when I have the opportunity though, ok.

Regarding the group: you may or may not remember me, I was wearing black/yellow LG skinsuit, yellow helmet, red p2k. Like your self, it is unusual for me to get caught on the bike and flat courses suit me, so it was to my surprise. This informal group rode borderline legal, and indeed when the aforementioned official rode with us and issued one penalty, I felt like a basketball player drawing a foul. At the front at the time, then one after another comes by, each forcing me in turn to sit up and softpedal, then show visible frustration for the referees sake)and mine. I know that this slowed me, based on past experience there, and slowed others too.

My question to you is this: what would you suggest(especially in hindsight) based on you experience both as a coach and an athlete to prevent this, and to deal with it once caught up in it?
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Ricci... [tri2fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight is fine on the picture, thanks!

I can honestly say I haven't experienced anything like that before. But this has been going through my head for weeks, thinking this very same question: How would I deal with it?

As an athlete I think I would just put the hammer down for 10 miles and hope to break away. My 5 minute surges did nothing but wear me out for the run.

As a coach, I would tell you that the above is wrong, and I would suggest sitting at the back (legally of course) and take advantage of the situation, and save your legs for the run.

Looking at both options, I would say #2 is going to give you a better overall performance.

What kind of ideas have you come up with?

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply