Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sickness after nationals..
Quote | Reply
Ok, I am not trying to rehash the debate over the merits of Shreveport and the Nationals, just looking for a common denominator. Both myself and a close friend (who lives in another state) became ill approx. 7-9 days after the race with a throat condition very similar to strep. Just curious if others were affected similarly, or at all.
Quote Reply
Re: sickness after nationals.. [tri2fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"became ill approx. 7-9 days after the race with a throat condition very similar to strep"

did both you guys kiss the same girl in shreveport after the race? i didn't get sick, and nobody that i know who went there got sick. i've been in touch with a dozen or so people since the race. so i don't think it was a very big thing, and probably not from the lake water, since it seems to be relatively isolated. perhaps you guys just got it in a restaurant you both ate at, something like that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: sickness after nationals.. [tri2fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree w/Dan--most likely a bug you picked up thru contact while traveling. It seems nearly every time I go somewhere strange, esp. on an airplane, I end up with some kind of mild cold or UR issue.

There have been two reports in the news here in Fla that should be of concern to triathletes--

Amoebic infections caught while swimming in warm, fresh water lakes, esp. during hot months. The bug can actually be caught thru water ingested up the nose, the infection travels to the brain, and is very resistant to antibiotics. Recommendation is not to swim in lakes during peak warm water periods and wear a nose clip if you must swim. (What kind of testing/precautions are done at Clermont?)

Flesh-eating bacterial infections primarily among fishermen and surfers in salt water. Can cause amputation of arm/leg.

Yikes--
Quote Reply
didn't get sick other than my usual hangover..........nm [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply