Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: View-Speed Skewers [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello wannabefaster and All,

View-Speed will 'cheerfully' refund your money ..... if you do not want to keep the Cyclops glasses just return them for a full refund.

While most cyclists adapt to using the Cyclops quickly .... a few cyclists find it perceptually uncomfortable to ride without holding their head up ....

We are happy to have you try the Cyclops glasses and we understand that they may not be comfortable for everyone.

You need to specify your dominant eye when you order and you need to have normal vision (contacts are OK but glasses do not work).

The concept is sort of like flying an aircraft on instruments ..... except that at any time you can lift your head just a bit and see the real world.

I takes a couple of weeks for most folks to feel comfortable riding with the glasses.

When cycling with motorists or when other dangers are present you should have your head up and be alert.

After using the glasses for a while and you become comfortable with them ...... it is important to lift your your head just a bit and look over the prism 'to the real world' occasionally with both eyes ...... and not get entirely in the rhythm of a virtual world detached from the real world world context.

Besides usually making you faster because your head is down (how much faster depends on your current position) the glasses enable you to relax you neck and concentrate on 'turtling' and maintaining a good aero position.

The glasses currently offer a simple appearing design ....... and are the evolution of many different trials and experiments over several years to find the design that works best.

The glasses the prism are mounted on currently ...... are manufactured to View-Speed specifications for fitment and to meet UV blocking ..... and coated to help prevent moisture from adhering to the lens. The glasses are shatter proof (except for the prism) and are while light in weight are about 50% thicker than standard sunglasses. The glasses are slightly tinted.

I will see if I can get permission from some Cyclops users to post their thoughts.

If you have questions please PM me.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Mar 7, 16 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello and wannabefaster and All,

Cale Reeder sent me this note on 6 March 2016 and gave permission to share.

http://www.shop.view-speed.com/...990810-63759211.jpeg

=================================================================================

"Hi Neal,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have some 5 minute epoxy. I will work on it and let you know if I run into any issues. I discovered (after I wrote you) that the platform gave out on the horizontal side. I poured super glue on some cardboard and took a toothpick and gently applied another layer of glue where there was already glue. I think it worked. I don't want to test it too hard. Big issue is I just don't want anything to come apart while I'm riding or worst... racing.

Update report...

Last summer after backing off for 6 weeks, I ramped up training in preparation for Nationals. We have a TT series here in Albuquerque, which includes our TT State Championships, just before Nationals.

The fitness was right on track, and the glasses were working! I did three 20KM TT's where I dropped my time to 25 minutes flat by the last TT... which is a pretty fast time... Think of a 50 minute 40K.

Nationals was very disappointing. I just timed my peak wrong and probably peaked a week or so before. I have never done well racing in September. I think the big issue is trying to hold fitness from early February through September. I tend to do really well racing in the spring and I'm cooked by end of August and September. I won all of our local TT's with the fastest times of the event, and I won our State Championships, but that was not my goal.

I'm currently working on preparation for Nationals the 3rd week of May, and we just put together a team for the Team Time Trail in Greenville, SC for April 16. Hammer Nutrition is sponsoring the team and I "think" we have a winning combination. I wonder how well the glasses would work if we were all wearing them? When I started wearing them I was surprised how well the "perspective" was right on. Things didn't seem closer or further away, everything seemed just right.

I did my first TT of the season at the Chico Stage Race (in NorCal) this past Sunday. My fitness is about 6 weeks behind where I normally am this time of year and I'm still getting over a bad cold, but still managed a 3rd place. The two guys that were 1st and 2nd have been doing TT's every week for 6 weeks (prior) and are very FIT! I have beaten them many times in the past, so I suspect once my fitness comes back up I'll be a good contender for Nationals in April and May. I have another TT this coming Saturday.

I was really hoping I could win Nationals last September, so I could give you something to use for your marketing efforts and help put the glasses on the map. I'm still working on it!

I think I mentioned that I won TT Worlds in 2012 and the Nationals RR in 2010. I don't have a National TT Title, but I'm in the hunt and it's on my list. Hopefully I'll have some better news for you in a few months.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Cale Reeder"

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neal,

I tried ordering some skewers from your site tonight and received security certificate errors using PayPal. You should probably check to see if the site hacking mentioned earlier is an issue. Otherwise maybe you just have an out of date security certificate.

Since the order didn't go thru I should check, do you know if the S4 front skewer works with a 3T Funda fork? Mine measures right between 6-7mm at the dropouts and your specs say 6.35mm or thicker.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello SummitAK and All,

Thanks for the heads up ..... I am working on fixing the website.

You will need a fork thickness of 1/4 inch (6.35mm) or greater for the S4 skewers to work properly ... otherwise they will touch the axle of the wheel and not tighten properly. If the fork thickness is thinner ..... like on a Shiv or a few others .... get the S3 skewer which works on most every road fork.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will PM you as soon as I have the website repaired.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello GreatScott and All,

We are going to make a thrust washer for the skewers for those that want to use it.

It will take a couple months or so since we will have to test it and the testing facility we use takes at least 2 weeks � some times more �. Plus time to manufacture.

We have not pursued it previously since only a very few customers have inquired about it �. And those using the skewers have appeared satisfied with the function.

As you will note the bottom of the rotating part of the skewer has concentric polished raised rings to provide non slip friction with the fork in every direction while tightening in place.

Also please note that in keeping with the philosophy, "Simplicate and add lightness" (William Stout ... although I heard of it from Ed Heinemann) the washer will add about 1mm additional height and be one more piece to deal with when using the skewer.

I will post a note as soon as we have the washer available.

And thanks for purchasing our View-Speed Skewers.

Hi nealhe,

Are your skewers shipped with the thrust washers now, or can they be ordered?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: View-Speed Skewers [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello CN and All,

Thanks for your question .....

Our Ti thrust washer is available to all that ask when ordering their http://www.view-speed.com skewers.

(99% of our customers do not use the thrust washer as it just adds an unnecessary part to the mix.)

Now that we are in the disk brake era .... skewers are an endangered species .... but bicycle wheel skewers have had a good run of over 100 years.

http://www.bikebug.com/...ow-about-thru-axles/

I am still remiss in updating the View-Speed website ... but it keeps on keeping on ... and I keep saying I will get around to updating it .... and I have it on the 'to do' list but it is submerged under other activities.

Perhaps it is the momentuim from all the non disk wheels out there ..... but our business is still slowly increasing year over year .... primarily powered by word of mouth.
'
For TT and Triathlon the old fashioned skewer 'still fills the bill' nicely.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about wattage savings but they give such a clean look on my bikes. Love em'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just placed an order; many thanks Neal!
Quote Reply

Prev Next