Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Bars
Quote | Reply
I'm putting together a new P3 and was wondering if anyone had any input on the one-piece aerobar/handlebar/stem systems. Profile and Vision are two different manufacturers that I've found. Do the one piece units have any big advantages? I've added up weights on separate pieces (handlebar, aerobar, stem) and can pretty well match the weight and price of the one-piece units. Any information or experiences with the one-piece units would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kirby
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [slowride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've done a lot of builds with several different one piece units including Profile Carbon X, Vision Tech and Cinelli. Our findings (IMHO) are that the Vision Tech bars are a very impressive product. They are very, very well made, the cable routing is excellent and the installation is straightforward. For my mind, vision tech is the winner. One thing to think about before you plunk down the cash: There are three or four manufacturers 90 days from coming out with their one piece systems- Easton, Hed and Oval to name a few. Deda is also showing some interestng prototypes too that will available very soon. It would be a shame to pop $500+/- for a one piece set-up only to find out you'd rather have the new, sweet Hed bar or Easton in two months. This is what I'm doing- setting my new bikes up with Syntace Stratos bae bars, Syntace C-2s and an appropriate stem. That stuff I had from previous bikes. After I see what one piece I want to use then I'll switch it out. It's a big job but worth it. I'll probably end up back on Vision Tech. It's hard to imagine anything much better than those.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just go with Syntace C2s and a stoker base bar. They are the most comfortable bars available and are very lightweight. I can't see the reason for the one piece bars other than the fact that they look really cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my visiontechs---i've owned the Profile century, Airstryke, Syntace C2's and the VT's are the best. The biggest advantage to the integrated system is that i was always pulling up my aerobars---cause the screws would loosen or such. I pull a lot on my aerobars to eeek out a little extra power---and its nice to know that unless i break the welds, im not going to move my VT aerobars---VT's are very adjustable too. I've got the spacers so you can go no raise, 1/2", 1" or 1 1/2" inches up---thats a great feature. Their customer service is great too---ive talked to them a few times and there always friendly and helpful. Thats my suggestion----plus their more aero than any combined base bar aero bar set up.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Careful [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Profile Carbon X on my P3. I really liked it, but I eventually realized that it didn't fit. It was just too big and was messing up my position. It is not light, none of the one piece setups are. The Carbon X is very aero and well built though, plus it looks cool. If you want a one piece and it fits, I would go for it.

The Vision Tech bars have the handles way down low. I never understood why someone would want that unless they were a sprinter or something. I don't think of them as a triathlon product really.

If you don't know your exact fit I would definitely go with the Syntace set up with C2s. Once you have that on your bike for a year or two without changes, think about a one piece setup and make sure it can match the existing positon. That is where I am now. I might make the switch to a one piece again at some point. That Hed bar looks promising to me since you can use your own stem, but the price is unreal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the HED. It is not available yet and there is a 2 month waiting period (I have been waiting since I paid for mine in October!) but they have all the parts in house now and are assembling the bars as we speak. It is by far the most advanced bar made to date. If you want to wait, I'll offer my review of the bar, on this site, after I get it and use it a few times.
Quote Reply
Re: Careful [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to agree with AJfranke that the drop bars are too low. My bike is my training bike, racing bike, commuting bike (yopu get the idea) and when i'm not in the aero position im too low

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "I'd just go with Syntace C2s and a stoker base bar. They are the most comfortable bars available and are very lightweight. I can't see the reason for the one piece bars other than the fact that they look really cool."
I would agree except that the one piece bars are actually more aero. Some data can be found on the Vision Tech site

http://www.visiontechusa.com/aero.asp
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary.....you'll get yours soon......i gotta feeling real soon.......i'll have mine in 2 weeks. And that's with postage to OZ. Macca was telling me today he liked em but's he's got a contract for now with another bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For years I have been on the Syntace stuff. I had no trouble getting them to fit, no failures, etc. Last year I became anamoured with the Profile Carbon X bar. I bought and installed it and it took me a long time to get comfortable with the new position. I used them in IMW and they worked fine. I have since sold the bike I was riding with the bars. My new ride I built back up with the Syntace Aero bars and Cow horns. The HED system looks very promising, after talking to the people at HED they claim it will be the most adjustable system on the market. Who knows, no one I know has seen them, much less installed or used a set.

If you do choose to buy a one piece set up, make sure the installer leaves a generous amount of steerer tube until you get yourself dialed in. Having to buy a new fork and handlebars if it does not workout would really suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden just about every aero bar set up that there has ever been, from Scott DH's, the original Profile clip-ons, Syntace C2's, etc, etc to my new Profile Carbon X's. When I built my latest bike I had the choice between VT's and the Carbon X's. Both worked well on the bike, but I ultimately went with the Carbon X's simply because they could put the little bend on the front extensions EXACTLY where I felt most comfortable, which was somewhere between VT small and medium. Score one for adjustability. I love these bars. The only thing I will change is the pads, often a shortcoming for Profile Design. I've got an aftermarket set of pads on an old set of bars that I know will be more comfortable at the long end of 112 miles.

One other plus for the Carbon X's is their flat base. I like to climb out of the saddle some and the position is definitely better with them over the VT's. Most of the soon to be issued bars have similar design for that reason.

If you have a bike with a tall head tube and want to go really aggressive, the VTs and ITMs currently give you the lowest possible height without modification, about 1-2 cm shorter than the Carbon X's.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the one piece bars (Vision, Hed, Profile) account for different stem lengths? They all appear to be the same standard, with the only item requiring a specific measurement is the Aerobar reach length (S/M/L). How could these bars fit everyone comfortably? With the traditional clip-on you can use the appropriate stem length, handel bar width, and aerobar reach. Just wondering.

Thanks

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<How do the one piece bars (Vision, Hed, Profile) account for different stem lengths?>

Great point - you can include stem angle in that same equation.

I wish my lbs had a telescoping hinged stem thingy that I could use to dial in the exact stem length and angle that I need. Anyone need a product to design and market... this might be it? Dan, you probably have the knowledge and resources?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.hedcycling.com/aerobar.htm

read the blurb on it and you will see
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Pooks [ In reply to ]
Re: Aero Bars [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool - I had never seen that. Beats keeping a bunch of stems around and switching them out. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What great timing!!! I was just about to ask LOOK if they were going to make an ergostem with a removable faceplate. That way, I could use it with a HED or Oval aerobar. The old ergostem wouldn't have worked with those new bar designs.

Yeah Baby!!!!

EZ

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MS.kansan, Look makes exactly what you're describing. Its a bit heavy even in its newer design, but it'll work.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short with a comment.

Elsewhere, The CarbonX's are some of the most adjustable on the market. Moving things around you can set up the same no matter what extension you normally use with multi bar/stem setups.
Quote Reply