Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How was your week? Apr 7 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
tejanatab wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
Did you have fun at Galveston? If yes, continue. If not, then might be time to re-evaluate.

This is complicated.
Hated the swim since I am not strong and I got lost at the start. Loved the bike and had a great time on that. Liked the parts of the run where I could actually run. Loved finishing.

I just wonder if there is room for non-athletic people like me. But really, I'm just navel gazing.

The swim was horrible. But they're not all that bad. Maybe just some more open water practice. But that was a hard swim.
And it doesn't sound like you're non - athletic. You finished a 1/2 ironman. Be proud of yourself. And easier said than done - don't compare yourself to others. If you like it and are getting better than continue.

Thanks, I know this is lame, but this is what I needed to hear. I think I just got embarrassed by having to have a kayak guide me back to the bouy after I got lost. Hahaha. I need more swim practice. AND need to stop comparing myself to others!

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Apr 7 [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 to what nad said
there is a place in triathlon for anyone who wants to compete.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tejanatab wrote:
nad wrote:
tejanatab wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
Did you have fun at Galveston? If yes, continue. If not, then might be time to re-evaluate.

This is complicated.
Hated the swim since I am not strong and I got lost at the start. Loved the bike and had a great time on that. Liked the parts of the run where I could actually run. Loved finishing.

I just wonder if there is room for non-athletic people like me. But really, I'm just navel gazing.

The swim was horrible. But they're not all that bad. Maybe just some more open water practice. But that was a hard swim.
And it doesn't sound like you're non - athletic. You finished a 1/2 ironman. Be proud of yourself. And easier said than done - don't compare yourself to others. If you like it and are getting better than continue.

Thanks, I know this is lame, but this is what I needed to hear. I think I just got embarrassed by having to have a kayak guide me back to the bouy after I got lost. Hahaha. I need more swim practice. AND need to stop comparing myself to others!

Seriously - if you had that much trouble on the swim, which is understandable, and you still had a PR of 30 min. You're amazing.

It's terribly hard to not compare yourself to others. Especially in a sport that ranks us all the time. But they haven't had the same journey you have. If you're going to compare, think of all the people who DNS, and all those who don't even exercise. There's a lot more of those people, but they weren't there in front of you, so you forget about them. You're rockin' in compared 90% of Americans.

Well done. Give yourself a pat on the back, and week of recovery and then start working toward the next PR. Good luck and good job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you competing against the gazelles in the front? Or some hypothetical time on a clock?

You need to compete against yourself and yourself only. Otherwise you will be miserable.

From a non-fast person...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Apr 7 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I appreciate the pep talks. And AndyPants, you're absolutely right. :)

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's right. You can always only compete against yourself. And it's mainly against that little voice inside vs. the other voice. The one that wants to stop, to quit, versus the one that wants to keep going, to finish. When the finisher voice wins, and you finish, then you are indeed the winner.

Besides, I've been doing these darn things since 1998 and feel like it's only been in the last 3-4 years that I have figured a few things out. LOL!
Quote Reply

Prev Next