Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not??
Quote | Reply
Does "anyone" out there know if IMFLA04 will happen or not? On the website it says Nov 13, 2004..now today someone said they heard rumour that Panama City pulled out and this will be the last year.....Do we just have to wait until Nov 9th to find out if it's on Active.com and go from there...geeze!!!!!

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on for 2004. Beyond that is anybody's guess.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that 2004 will be the last year in PCB. Sponsorship for 2004 is rather cobbled together from some of the big local tourista business, not going through the PCBTDC like it was under the original contract.

My impression was that there was hope from some of the big lodging companies that the TDC would get its act together in 2005+ and the 2004 funding situation was a temporary thing. But the TDC is now having cash flow problems, and curring back on other event sponsorships even for 2003, so it's not looking good for beyond 2004 in PCB.

I'll be sorry to see it go off to Myrtle Beach, or wherever if it goes. But given a choice, I'd rather see a healthy Gulf Coast Tri- it's a truly local race that's been home grown, not just another franchise setting up on the beach for a long weekend. The rise of IMouse has actually got me thinking of doing Great Floridian instead of IMFL in 2004. I want to support the homegrown races, not the big corporate machines, and I see IMNA as trying to muscle in on the long homegrown races in the state.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't characterize IMNA as honing in on local races. FL is a key tri market along with all of the tourism perks (weather, theme parks, beaches). Not having a race here is like the NFL not having a team in L.A.

As for Gulf Coast Tri, I never went but heard great things. The funny things is I hear the RD for GCT is on the BOD for IMNA (too many anagrams!). Surely, she would say something about her interests in having IMouse so close to GCT. Does anyone know if this is true or the specifics of the situation?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [TriRABI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I wouldn't characterize IMNA as honing in on local races..."

Problem is that it's not just Florida. IM Cali was close to Vineman in terms of date and location. IM Wisconsin is/was in proximity to Pineman. IM Germany is in proximity to Roth. IM Myrtle Beach would likely be in proximity to the Duke Blue Devil.

That's a heck of a lot of circumstantial evidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I wouldn't characterize IMNA as honing in on local races..."

Problem is that it's not just Florida. IM Cali was close to Vineman in terms of date and location. IM Wisconsin is/was in proximity to Pineman. IM Germany is in proximity to Roth. IM Myrtle Beach would likely be in proximity to the Duke Blue Devil.

That's a heck of a lot of circumstantial evidence.
Yeah. IM California took place in mid-May, full Vineman usually takes place in mid to late August, some 550 miles north. I'd say they're close in terms of date and location.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [14T.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The timing of IMCali certainly wasn't as egregious as IMF, but note that Vineman used to take place in July.

And prior to IMCali, Vineman was the only well established IM between Penticton and Brazil, and one of very few IM distance events west of the Mississippi. I find the location (and timing to a lesser degree) to be somewhat suspect.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman North America sells out every race, they do it in hours/days. They could put a race in Oklahoma and its gonna fill. They have no reason to try and squeeze out other races, the locations are desirable and thats the motive. I support the homegrown races as well as it is cheaper and local...but if you have ever been to Pineman, you will realize sometimes the extra $$ and travel of IMNA is worth it. btw...have had 2 friends, both in different years, get misdirected on GFL bike course..this dosent happen at IMNA events.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFLA 2004 Is it going to happen or not?? [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. But IMNA didn't do their homework about the appropriateness of the IMUtah swim course either.

I'm signed up to volunteer in PCB. Figure that'll give me a better feel for things. But right now I'm leaning towards the six hour trip to Orlando instead of racing an hour down the road in PCB.

And I suspect that it's harder for IMNA to find a race site than you might think. First you've got the course: big body of water for the swim, lightly traveled roads for the bike and run. Accomidations- enough for an invading army. Finding those two in combination (low traffic/high number of rooms) limits things. And finding a place that really wants to host the race, and pay a significant amount of money for that right, and you're looking at a number of different, sometimes competing factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Problem is that it's not just Florida. IM Cali was close to Vineman in terms of date and location."

I believe that IMCA was placed at it's date to take the Wildflower crowd - that didn't work very well did it?
Quote Reply