Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lower back pain revisited
Quote | Reply
After the Lubbock 1/2 IM I posted about my lower back pain. Essentially, I experience lower back pain on the bike only, after about 1 hour during a race. I just competed in another 1/2 IM. This one with constant rolling hills so I was in the aerobars for most, but not all, of the time. I experienced lower back pain after just 25 miles (avg speed for the entire course was 18.8 so just over an hour). I commonly rode the same bike and bike setup on 4-6 hour training rides 100% in the bars with no back pain.

The only differences I have not been able to rule out is that I am putting out more effort during a race than during training. Otherwise, I am left to assume that the pain is only caused by the tension of race day. Assuming this is correct, does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this?

FWIW, I am self fit on a Cervelo P2k using a digital camera and the articles on this web site. I am using the aerobar drop formula found on this site and would have to be considered aggressive in positioning. I ride about 78 degrees. Avg cadence on this hilly course was 89 according to the computer.
Quote Reply
Re: lower back pain revisited [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about the back pain, it's no damm fun at all is it... I can see how Buff Springs might aggravate a back with those hills.

I have fought with lower back problems for a lone time- back to 20+ years ago when i injured it lifting an ice carving. The advice I always get, and generaly follow is to keep lower back and abdominals strong and flexible. Specifically i work on hamstringgs, hip flexors, quads for stretches and a bunch of different things for the strangth. One really good one that feels great is press ups- lie face down, hips on floor and press up with arms (as though doing pushup) but KEEP HIPS DOWN - this feels great and reverses the effects of sitting or riding with the spine curved the other way. I also do back extensions on a machine or lying on floor.

I also had my LBS add some height to my stem to relieve the stress on my spine. I'm told this is a typical thing for people over 40.

There's a pretty good guide to lower back stuff on trinewbies.com too, with a bunch more or see a good physiotherapist.

stephen's 2 cents.............

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too, have had lower back pain on the bike in longer races. At IM California in 2001, I "rode" the entire 2nd lap of the bike in excruciating pain and even had to stop and stretch a few times. Riding on the aerobars was very difficult and made that last part into the wind very difficult.

At IM Spud this year, there was a pre-race video with Dave Scott in which he suggested taking it very easy in the first parts of the bike. One reason he stated was that the compression from swimming in a wetsuit for an hour would likely lead to a tight lower back. I bet you never did an hour swim in your wetsuit prior to your 4-6 hour rides? (I know I never did.) I'm also assuming Buff Springs is a wetsuit swim....

Armed with this new knowledge, I took it a little easier for the first 20 miles of the bike and my lower back didn't bother me too much. I had some pain between my shoulder blades but I can attribute that to insufficient swim training for an IM event and some extra weight that made my wetsuit a little too tight.

So probably the best way to deal with this is to stretch regularly, strengthen your back and abdominals, and take it easy for the first segment of the bike until you've had time to recover from the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be something to do with bike fit, but if you've followed Dan's articles closely and set up accordingly with a digital camera, you're probably in the correct ballpark. The other alternative is that it could be a flexibility issue. You might wish to find a competent chiropractor or PT, a real bonus if you can find one that is a cyclist, and get an evaluation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have suffered the same fate during this years IMCDA and 1/2 IM. I now believe it has to do w/ swimming and sighting. Lifting your head to sight for 30-60 mins adds pressure to the lower back that is then magnified w/ hard riding. Stretching, core strength and more long swim/ride bricks are my solution.
Quote Reply
Re: lower back pain revisited [tondo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to agree with Tondo as I am an excessive sighter and it lead to major prolems in a half i did this past summer and in IMF 2000.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: lower back pain revisited [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The siting may be it, this last race I started siting every 3rd breathe instead of every 5th or 6th. This resulted in a faster swim but plenty of back pain. This would also explain why a 4000 yd pool swim followed by a long bike does not cause any back pain.

I'm working on flexibility and strength through the off season so hopefully this will help.

Thanks for all the ideas
Quote Reply