Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

implementing the 50/34
Quote | Reply
Forgive me if this has been covered in the mega thread discussing the 50/34. Please don't continue the argument about should or should not or50/34 is from the devil, etc. I think many of us are interested in the implementation of the 50/34, we can argue its merits in the previous thread.

#1 Has anyone actually implemented a 50/34 using the Ultegra or DA double front der?

#2 I'm very interested in giving this gearing a try but I'm not paying $300 for the FSA crank set just to get 2 front rings. Where can I buy a 34 front ring? I found a "Salsa 50t 130mm 5-boltchainring Silver" at http://store.airbomb.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=CR3715 but I can't find a 34 anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: implementing the 50/34 [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most road cranksets use a 130mm bolt circle diameter. The smallest chainring that will fit on a 130 mm BCD is a 38. If you want to run anything smaller you will need cranks with a 110 mm BCD like the FSA's, Dimension Cross, or the old Ritcheys.

Or you could use a 94 mm or 110 mm mountain bike crank though it will have a much wider Q-factor.
Last edited by: john: Oct 20, 03 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: implementing the 50/34 [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have purchased and am waiting for this crank. I live in Golden, Colorado (lots of climbing). I will be setting up a Serotta Ottrott with this and Campy Record 10 speed 12 - 23 as my climbing bike. I will post after I get a chance to ride and evaluate it.
Quote Reply