Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1up & Spinning vs Computrainer
Quote | Reply
Opinions please. This Winter has been so bad that most of my "riding" consists of Spin classes. I feel I need to get a trainer, & I know the Computrainer is the superior tool, but with the Winter half over, I'm wondering if I should get the 1Up & hold off on the Computrainer until next Winter (training for IMUSA this year). Is the CT such a superior training device that I would continue to use it regularly even when I could get outdoors for a "real ride"? Or is a normal stationary trainer like the 1up "sufficient" to get me thru the rest of the Winter. Money is tight so I'm hesitating on making the big CT investment now that Winter is half over.

I've tried the CT briefly & had spinscan #s in the low 70s around 200W. Would a month of trying to maximize the spinscan #s make me that much more efficient than some 1-legged drills & spin-ups on the 1Up?

Thanks, Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 1up & Spinning vs Computrainer [MattinRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO the Compu-Trainer's primary values are (in order):
1. Motivates you to do hard indoor workouts against your previous recorded performances.
2. Will help you stay interested in being on the indoor trainer longer than just riding a standard trainer.
3. Simulates terrain thus facilitating above.
4. Allows you to use your race bike to facilitate acclimation to your real-world equipment.

That's a long list of important benefits. I don't sell Compu-Trainer, but I am an advocate. I would highly recommend that as the best option. Also, don't underestimate the value of your spinning workouts. Those workouts have certainly helped. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing quite like a computrainer.Toms right,it is a great motivator with all its information.I went a differant route and got a Power tap.I can use it on the trainer and take it out in the real world. There are lots of wheel options.I've chosen my freinds wisely.Two CT's at my disposal.PT is less $$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   Here's my take on the question: I've owned the full-on Pro-3d CT since 1999. I've used it extensively in inclimate weather, especially in the colder months. I have gotten a lot out of using the spinscan feature, and have improved my "efficiency" numbers from mid 70s to about a 90 avg. Not having PCs I can't say for sure, but I think my efficiency is definately in the ballpark with the best out there. Trouble is, I got that in the first couple of months. With only periodic checks I haven't used the spinscan much since then.

That said, I have to ask myself the question...have I really used the CT as the incredible training tool it can be, or as a high-priced trainer. Fact is, I set the darn thing on a flat loop course and do all my rides on this one course. Even more, I haven't really ever used it to compare fitness by doing TTs at, say, monthly intervals. Bottom line is I am not even beginning to make "proper" use of it. I could get the same thing from using a much less expensive trainer. I've just hired a coach and he promises me that we'll start making significant use of the CT. I can't wait.

If you want something to ride indoors in inclimate weather, or for convenience due to short winter days, stick with a good mag or turbo trainer. You can always get some Tour or IM DVDs that are much more fun to watch than the CT electronobiker. If you have a coach or oodles of time to make meaningful use of the CT, then I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with spin classes is that they are too intense. It is counterproductive for most riders to be up in zones 4, 5a, 5b, and 5c during this time of the season.

A Computrainer lets you do an interesting workout in your desired HR zones. I think the best thing about it is the variety of programs--- The hills in the program remind me to vary my cadence and get out of the saddle. These changes help me stay comfortable for longer so I ride longer. I use my Computrainer a couple times a week during the cold months and twice a month during the season. I also use it to give Conconi tests and spin analysis to a team of riders I coach.

A basic indoor trainer can give you a great workout in your desired training zones. You have to use your gears and your imagination to vary the workout. However, this is possible and lots of people without an extra $1500 do it. Think of it this way, I bet there are plenty of pro cyclists and triathletes who do not use Computrainers.

Bottom line: A Computrainer is an invaluable coaching aid but a luxury item for individual riders.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: 1up & Spinning vs Computrainer [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This first point about spinning classes is valid. They are too intense for base training if that is what your program is right now. Also, geez, don't even talk to me about those way those things fit. Can you you say "Q_factor?". Those bikes have Q-factor big enough for Anna Nicole Smith. For that matter, rippin' your guts out on the Computrainer is definately "out of zone" for this time of year.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1up & Spinning vs Computrainer [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the spin class is what you make of it. I did two classes back to back on Thursday for 2 hours of riding. When I do the spin class I sort of pretend to follow what the instructor is saying so they don't get pissed off (I kept riding through a cooldown in one class last year since the instructor cut the class short and I heard all about my misbehaving) and then just crank the tension up high and really work my strength and power. I find that when I'm on my rollers or trainer at home I can't get up out of the saddle and really hammer against a really strong resistance so I mix up my indoor workouts with some spinning and trainer riding. As for boredom on the trainer, I usually put on a movie or a tape of a race or just watch regular tv so it is never really a problem.

I actually get a reasonably decent fit on the spin bikes. The seat is way up and as forward as it will go and the bars are at the lowest setting. Everyone else in the classes thinks that I'm a little out to lunch since their bars are way higher, seat is way lower and farther back and they're 5 or 6 inches shorter than I am :)

At this stage in the season I'd be looking at spending my money on race wheels for your big race this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: 1up & Spinning vs Computrainer [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I'm lucky with the spin classes. Our instructors actually encourage people to do their own thing. Plus they have a couple of the lemond spin bikes. Better fit then the schwinns & lighter flywheel. Your right about base training though - I'm usually around 78% of max on average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used mine for the first time this morning. I had the same question, and I have no regrets now that it's here. I can see the benefit of using it at least once per week this winter. I rode the Powerman Alabama course, and it's an eye-opener when there's no "coast". I talked to everyone I could find before buying it, and not one person who owned one regretted the decision.
Quote Reply