Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 2
Quote | Reply
march march march
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 2 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flew out Wed. afternoon for a conference in Denver. ALTITUDE! I loved it. The conference went really, really well and I had a chance to race on Sunday before we flew back.

Didn't take a day off from running, nor did I rack up swim yards M-W like I had planned. Food was so-so... bad M, T, Th, did well W, F, S, and yesterday was moderate.

M – 8.5 mi run* + 2000 yd swim
T – 9 mi run + 40 min. stair master + 1 mi walk
W – 8.5 mi run + 2200 yd swim
T – 7.5 mi run (DENVER)
F – 8.5 mi run** + 1.7 mi walk (DENVER)
S – 1.5 mi run + 4000 yd swim (DENVER)
S – half marathon race 1:52:23 (DENVER)

*(16 minutes w/u, 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 min @ 8.0 mph w/ 1 min recoveries @ 6.2 mph, 1,2,3,2,1 min @ 8.2 mph (1 min rec again), 1 min @ 8.4 mph, 0.6 mi c.d.)
** 2.25 mi w/u, quarter miles at 8.0, 8.2, … , 10.0 mph, 1ish mi c/d
Totals 56.6 mi run, 8000 yd swim, some walking

goals for the week:
no food issues! I CAN do it!
get at least a B on my upcoming test (Fri... very difficult maths class)
swim 18k
day off from running and keep total running to 40 miles or less
bike once

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 3, 14 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[no food issues! I CAN do it!] Yes, you can! Glad the conference went well.

Got in 21 of 25 planned miles, 1.5 of 2 core workouts and 7 of 7 home PT exercises. Rinse and repeat again this week.

The other of the week was getting my tri, now road, bike in with my old PT for a bike fit. He said I was looking much more stable on the bike, so that's progress. (And thanks to Khai for helping me to figure out some of the mechanical issues on the conversion.)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week-
Tues-Run- track workout (1st time w/new group coached by local HS coach) just over 3 miles, about 45 mins
Wed- Spin class (did the IronGirl Spinerval video, thought it would be easy, NOT, guys enjoyed the eye candy, I enjoyed seeing a familiar face in the video.)
Thurs- Swim-1400 yds, lots of drilling that I don't do working out on my own.
Fri- off
Sat- kickoff, due to rain, no workout
Sun- ran from Earth to Neptune and back, with a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down

(there's a planet walk at the park where I ran.) :)

This week-
Mon-off
Tues- track workout
Wed- run (no spin class this week :( )
Thurs- ?? run or swim
Fri- swim or run
Sat & Sun- ride

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 2 [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sun- ran from Earth to Neptune and back, with a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down

(there's a planet walk at the park where I ran.) :)

AWESOME!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was decent. I got in all planned runs. I failed getting in 4 bike rides, only 3 happened. 1 swim.
Finished my first tempo run on the track with my friend.... next one is tonight. Yikes. Last week was 3mi at tempo. This week (on Tues) is 4.
Still working on sleep. Sunday night to Monday (yesterday) I slept horribly. I was stressed about what I was going to eat for breakfast after I met my friend at the gym (our usual routine is to run from my house and I cook breakfast afterwards in my own kitchen). Got an option figured out. It's not ideal but it did OK. I have a really good thermos and I made my tea and put it in there. Tea stayed hot until my commute. I also cooked oatmeal and put it in a glass pyrex container and then in an insulated bag. It kept things warm enough (left in gym locker) until after my workout.

This week is a big week for running. Saturday I have a crazy long run and then my goddaughter's birthday party.

I think the lingering cold winter weather is getting to me. UGH!

Lastly, trying to decide SRAM red or Ultegra Di2 or Dura Ace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2+ days off work this week for bereavement leave. I will try to spend some time by myself, as well as with family. I find that I need the alone time to process feelings. I have been feeling very blue since Sat and I need to allow it to happen so I can move on. So will run 3x, skate 2x, help run the ST provincials meet this weekend, and anything else would be nice.

I am feeling a bit jealous of everyone's activities! :-) I have been feeling too sorry for myself for too long and it is time to start being more positive in thoughts, exercise/training, food/diet, work. I plan on using the next few days to also review my "don't do/do less of" list... too many things not making me happy (myself included) and it's time to start addressing them.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN
Swim x 4: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Got it done, though the bike workouts are really suffering while I do this huge run focus. Almost 60k last week, and since the trails are a mess (slippery, choppy, ankle-destroying footprinted ice) it all has to be on the road, which is beating me up a bit.

This week's goals:
Run x 6 for over 60k
Bike x 3
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4

Soldiering onward. Really hope Monday was the last of the below-zero-Fahrenheit runs. Can't wait until DST kicks in so I might be able to see some sun on my weekday runs, too.

Edited to add: big condolences to you, Andy. Never easy to say goodbye, even when it's not a shock - hope the memories of good times together will help to soothe the pain of your loss.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 5, 14 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - awesome job on the marathon!!!! And good luck on friday test!

AP - so sorry to hear about your grandmother - sending hugs your way.

MK - I hear you on feeling beat up with running on the roads. I love my towpath and trails and never do my long runs on the roads. This winter has been killing me though - have not been able to run on trails for a month now and my hips feel all this running on the road.

Last week - not great - end of term, long hours helping kids through Chem finals and then grading/writing comments. Did not hit any of my goals but did manage 2xswim, 1 ride, 4xrun.

This week is spring break so in addition to catching up on sleep, I intend get in some good training! Weather forecast is finally looking better - we may even see high 40s(F) here later this week!

My goals:
4xswim
2xbike - hopefully first ride outside this year if weather forecast is correct!
5xrun

Hope everyone has a good week and wishing for fair weather your way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training-wise my week sucked. Badly.

I finally got a copy of my MRI report and the Dr really wasn't truthful on my running prospects. My PT was a bit more blunt.

I pretty much have no more cartilage left on the back of my kneecap and it ain't coming back. My kneecap doesn't track correctly and it has been slowly rubbing away. The injury was basically by kneecap being banged up against the bone behind it and bruising. This caused swelling and a Baker's cyst. The cyst popped but that doesn't change the status of my kneecap.

I asked my PT about running and he said no 2 day in a row runs. No more 6x/week which is what I really need to do to prepare for ultras. I won't get up to the mileage needed to do the big races I've always wanted to do.

I'll get some regular exercises to do to strengthen the connected muscles and reduce pain but the knee won't be "fixed." I'll have to play it by ear to see what I will be able to do.

For now, running is still really painful. There is still swelling and my leg is pretty locked up. My PT is doing some myofascial release and deep massage. Holy shit that is painful.

I'm still on hold for running. I'm not sure the Womens Camp makes sense unless I can swim every day. Running is out and I haven't been on a bike in almost 6 years. I need to come to a decision on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 2 [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sending hugs. do not know what else to say. hugs hugs hugs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh that really sucks. No 2-days-in-a-row is not good. :-( AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry to hear that - sending big cyber hugs your way.

Give it some time. As you get back into it, focus on what you can do, really ask lots fo Qs about whether what you are doing will keep status quo or cause more damage. I have been there with cycling (unresolved iliac artery issues) and understand how much it hurts to hear something like this. I was in tears or close to tears for a long time because racing was such a big part of my life and who I was. I had to readjust goals (track/road racing) when I found out that what I wanted to do was just not possible anymore. But I did find this crazy sport and am now trying to figure out swimming & running - gave me a great distraction, but I still have trouble watching track racing and it's been 7 years.

Hang in there and give it some time - ask lots of Qs and see what is possible. And hugs, hugs, hugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aww, honey, I feel for 'ya. Hugs from me too.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply