Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 24
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to hearing about the tri, speedskating, and other adventures and hope everyone is doing well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 24 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals had been 18k swim (DONE), day off from running (nope), bike once (nope), do ok with food (2 days of issues)

The big excitement was getting my first paper published... PDF is here (I am the 2nd author)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S0732312314000133

Training
M - 11 mi run + 1600 yd swim
T - 8 mi run* + 2000 yd swim
W - 10 mi run + 1.5 mi walk
T - 8 mi run + 4500 yd swim
F - 7 mi run + 2300 yd swim
S - 11 mi run* + 2400 yd swim
S - 5 mi run + 5200 yd swim

*1,2,3,2,1 min @ 9.1 mph and 1,2,3,2,1 min @ 9.2 mph (1 min easy recoveries)
* first 32 minutes going from 6.0 to 9.1 mph, increase speed 0.1 mph per min, then alternate min fast/min easy (fast at 9.1, 9.2, ... 10.0 mph)

Totals 18,000 yd swim 60 mi run

GOALS FOR THE WEEK
- take a day off from running
- do well with food... I am going to be at a conference the second half of the week and am anxious about food things there
- race on Sunday in CO (need to decide 1/2 marathon or 5k)
- get 10k of swimming in between today and Wed. as not sure what pool at hotel will be like. (2k done this AM)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week- Monday-swam, Thurs- stretch/yoga-type class 1 hr., Fri- Packet pickup, Sat- race reverse Triathlon, Sun- rode 20, walked 2/3miles.
Reverse tri was first tri of the season, got a special medal for doing the race for 5 years. Did the race with a few friends, had some fun and finished 6 minutes faster than last year ( most of the time drop was on the run and bike). At this race there were 2 waves- one for those anticipating finishing in under 1.5 hrs, and another for over 1.5 hrs, Clydes & Athenas & relays. I was in the second wave (finished in 1:32) had the fastest swim split in my AG in my wave, second fastest in my AG among both waves, the gal who had a faster swim split also won the AG so probably wasn't swimming around as many people in the pool as I was. So I am definitely happy with my result after not training so much this month (3 events in one month was a bit much for me to be able to train, race and recover for).
This week.
Mon- my b-day, OFF
Tues- new to me running group at local HS
Wed- spin, and helping shop owner with her bike fit. Using my knowledge from Dan's mini-FIST clinic at camp 2012.
Thurs- workout with Divas- probably some sort of run or hike (not really sure yet).
Fri-??
Sat- Ride/Run- it's kick-off for the Divas day.
Sun- Ride with the boys.
Fri-Sun may change due to weather, they say we're finally going to get some rain at the end of the week and boy do we need it.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC, congrats on the paper! What are "schemes for rates of change"?

SDCali, congrats to you too. Sounds like it was fun and satisfying.

Got my 25+ miles of walking and all my home PT exercises in, but it was a fail on the core work. Well, rinse and repeat this week and see if I can get the core in. Today PT and I agreed when I'm able to consistently walk 25/week without pain, then we can start the discussion about a return to running.

Tomorrow I take my bike into the PT (a different one) to get fit. I'm converting my tri bike to a road bike, and she is not at all happy with the steerer tube extender she now has to wear, something about being embarrassed to be seen in public with it, but I told her that the back comes first, and at least maybe we can get going again if I'm in an upright position.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 24 [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday! I hope you had a perfect day.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 24 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best description of a "scheme" in this context is an interpretive frame. For instance, you have a scheme for the concept of "cat." Though not all cats look exactly alike, you could see cat you'd never seen before, or a cartoon image of a cat, and recognize it as "cat" because your mind has some organizing set of principles for what "cat" is. You could see a dog and it would activate a scheme for 'dog,' because a dog is different from a cat. In my research, the analogy would be that experts see all cats as "cat" and students see different cats as not all belonging to the category "cat." They would have separate schemes for, say black cat, cartoon cat, etc... it is "Cat dependent" (representation dependent) rather than abstracted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are awesome. That's so exciting. Congrats. I didn't look it up because I couldn't pretend to understand it, but I'm so happy for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals from last week "This week take a few easier days M-W, then back to normal training. I really need a longer bike this coming weekend. And I want to swim at least 10K."

I did well at recovery. I got a 3 1/2 hour bike it w some good power intervals, and I swam 13,300. So good week . Not much running, but that was planned after marathon

I'm 6 weeks out from 1/2 IM in Galveston. First event of the season. So this should be a big week for me. Goals - 40 miles running, 8-10 hours biking with a long bike on Saturday and 10 K swimming.

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent week last week. Got in two swims with masters, yay... Got in all my runs, including one that was in the most miserable conditions... about 34 and rain. Oh it was bad. I ended up going by the house and making a clothing change. Only got in two bike rides... sad face... I just couldn't manage my weekend bike ride the day after my crazy nut job long marathon run.
Crazy nut job long marathon run went well. Hit the miles and was within long run pace range (without trying... yipee).

This week - only planning to swim once. get in at least 3 bike rides, hopefully 4. Got in one already. Do all scheduled runs (so far so good).

Work stress is hopefully going to back off. My boss was majorly on vacation ... about three weeks in a row of not working a full week so I was trying to hold down the fort, plus the office is getting renovated.

Whee!

Good job TC on the paper - congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on paper!

Looks like training is going well! Thx for posting your running workouts - gives me some ideas as i'm stuck running inside on the dreadmill with all the snow, ice & cold temps here.

My training week - 4 runs, 4 swims, 1 strength, but no bike :-(
Busy week - last week of classes for the winter term.

This week - exam week - also crazy busy - but am shooting for lots of short workouts to break the monotony of grading and writing comments - goals - 4 swims, 5 runs, 2 bikes, 1 strength

Next week - spring break - HAHAHAHAHA - the temps are not forecast to climb above freezing. This is the never endiing winter. Usually I get some decent riding miles over spring break but with the forecast, it looks like it will feel like winter in Alaska rather than spring. I SOOOO miss riding right now. Ok - enough whining.

Happy training to all the womens!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a crazy weekend last weekend was. Holy cow. I left Florida (JAX) late Thursday afternoon and got into Quebec City around 11:30pm. Got to the hotel and in bed by midnight. Just wiped - mentally and physically (I had been up since 5am). Slept in a bit the next morning, then packed my stuff and walked up to the oval - l'Anneau Gaetan-Boucher. It was 40min uphill in the snow (haha) but it was a nice-ish day and the weather was forecasted to get a lot nastier later so I wanted to get in for the early practice session (10:30-noon - the late was 5:30pm-7pm). It was really a surreal feeling walking in the door of the rink/oval area - the Winter olympics were on now (had watched some that morning, they were on the tv in the rink). I remember watching Gaetan Boucher win for Canada in long track a looooong time ago (Lake Placid and Sarajevo) and all the cheesey TV commercials he did afterwards :-). So to walk in a building with his name on the door was trippy (read: I am so OLD).

I got on for a solid 60min for practice in blowing snow and -7 or so. My feet were frozen afterwards. You can see the building below - the covered entrance leads to the Athlete's room - nice and WARM :-) It's an older building no doubt, the Province is planning a new building in the next few years.

The funny thing was that I have been practicing on 111m and 100m tracks which are very small compared to a 400m track, so with every corner, I would start coming out way too early - I had to learn to do crossovers in a completely different way. I felt completely uncomfortable and unnatural. I also felt very slow - likely a confidence issue. And there was one corner where the wind would just stop you dead if you didn't have enough speed - it was hard to push through to keep going. After that practice session, walked back to the hotel, stopped at a grocery store for fud along the way as we would be starting early the next day, and had a nap. Forced myself to get up from my nap, ordered a pizza (walked over to pick it up and weather was very bad at this point 70kmh winds and blowing snow), loafed and watched the idiot box, turned in early.

Come race day: perfect weather (ok, I give up on trying to fix the pic rotation grrr!):

Day 1: 500m then 1500m. I had no clue what to do for these races, so the ladies just said "go for it". I was SLOW... oh yeah...SO SLOW. But I had no clue what I was doing, and I had lots of gas left at the end. After the 500m, the juniors went, then the men. Then it was our turn for the 1500m. So I just tried to give'er and my 1500m pace was better than my 500m pace hahahahah oh man that's sad. You feel some burn at the end but I still had lots left to give. I honestly had no clue how to pace this type of racing. I was doing terrible. I had somehow imagined that I would at least be reasonable in my times, but those were all based on 111m tracks (I can easily do 2500m in 5min hint hint). I walked back to the hotel, somewhat demoralized but trying to take this as a learning experience. It was my FIRST racing experience in a completely new sport after all. Why did I imagine I would do better than I was actually doing (smacks forehead several times)? Finished off the last of my pizza, had a very long hot shower then watched TV, blogged, crashed. I was really really tired.

Day 2: 1000m. OK legs, you know what 1500m felt like so just go harder than that. And it worked! I had my best skate of the entire weekend, and wasn't DFL hahaha sigh. One of the ladies says to me "so, you can be taught..." I took that as a positive sign... but we had a long break while the juniors and men did their 1000s and then we moved on to the 3000m. This was maybe 3 hrs later and my legs were tired and my hips were getting sore. I knew this was going to suck - they usually do 3000m on the same day as the 500m (or first even) because it's such a tiring event. By this time I was pretty much done, and my time showed it. But I was OK with that by this time - i.e.: I didn't really care anymore.

After racing, they gave out swag (nice toque with a pony-hole!) and lunch, then I headed to the airport for the long slog home. I was not very happy with my times. I know I am a better skater than that. But I really had no idea how different the tracks would feel, and of course, how key pacing would be. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. But - there's always next year! (Calgary Feb 2015)

The rest of this week was 3x easy running and 2x skates, with 2x gym/core sessions and a token ride to work & home. My grandmother had been in the hospital for the last few days with kidney problems, and she finally passed this morning. So it's kind of a sad day around here - K and I were on our way out the door to go to the hospital when my dad called. Just missed seeing her one last time. :-(

This next week? 3x runs, 2x skates, and our club is hosting the provincial short track championships this next weekend - I am the safety officer so I won't be racing unless there's a spot at the end of day 2 (need to be on the job as it were). I will have a few days off work to help my dad out - he's sad obviously but his mother had been ready to go for a long time.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 24 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, lot's going on for you. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds as though it was expected.

I think it's great you took up a new sport and are already racing in it! And you can be taught ;-)

Pics are great, even sideways.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 24 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP, sorry for your loss. She must have been really old?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks gals. Yep she was 92, but had been ready to go for some time. I'm more concerned about my dad and K, but of course I am still sad. I feel like I have this knot in my back and like I need to take a deep breath, over and over. I just can't let it go - yet. Had the same feeling ~18mo ago when my other grandma passed. :-(

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply