Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fuji Aloha Advice
Quote | Reply
Looking to get a 2003 Aloha. Anyone have good useable knowledge of the Aloha?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Aloha Advice [NuNOLATri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good entry level bike. Some people think the top tubes are a bit long so check your size properly. Here's Slowman's take on them. The newer ones now have a carbon fork instead of aluminium. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...w/tribikes/fuji.html
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Aloha Advice [NuNOLATri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 2002 model which I bought used. This is my first tri-bike but I feel it was an excellent buy. I got it for about $700 with 1k miles on it. The bike is quite light and I've found it to be pretty fast in its stock configuration. I hope to put some race wheels on it next year and see how fast I can make it go.

Here are some criticisms:

1.) Wheels - stock wheels on mine were Ritchey deep section with low spoke count. My main gripe with these is that they used aluminum nipples and both the front and rear nipples have cracked this year. LBS had trouble truing them because the nipples were so weak - I had them replace all the nipples with brass and the wheels are now much easier to true and much sturdier (cost about $40 per wheel). Expect the nipples to last a couple of years and maybe 3000 miles.

2.) 650c - I'm pretty tall and ride 58cm frame but all the Aloha's come with 650 (at least they used to). I have no gripes with this other than it is harder to find used race wheels and putting it on a trainer can take some adjustments.

3.) gearing - I'm pretty strong and all but a 55T big ring with 11-21 on the rear - even with 650c wheel I almost never use the 11. Then again I live in a hilly area. a 25 would be better and it's easy enough to change.

4.) FSA BB - this is fine unless you ever want to put PCs on it and then you need to replace it with ultegra.

That's about all I can think of - overall I love this bike (my wife is jealous). I am a big believer in the engine being the factor so I couldn't see spending big bucks for minimal advantage. This bike was a great deal. I have a long torso and shorter legs (6'3" w/ 32" inseam) and I have no problems fitting this bike.

- Dennis
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Aloha Advice [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2004 Fuji is dramatically different from previous years. In addition to the change to a carbon fork, it appears all sizes are now 700c with a 76 degree seat angle. Not sure if the head tube lengths are relatively long or short from the spec page. Tubeset appears to be Sanko. Sanko isn't quite as nice as Altec Chrono, but it's decent.

Industry-wide, 2004 looks to have some great tri-bikes in the ~$1500 range.
Quote Reply