Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have you every been run off the road intentionally?
Quote | Reply
Sure, the road is full of retarded drivers and that's a hazard I am willing to assume every time I go out and ride. Sometimes driver mistakes are purely accidental and sometimes they are caused by just being really stupid.

That aside, something has been in my mind every time I have been out in the past month. There seems to have been a large number of driver vs. cyclist matchups lately (and we know who usually wins those) so these thoughts have been quite pervasive recently. I seem to always be paranoid that the next car coming up behind me is going to have it out for me. That for some reason this next guy is not going to straddle the double yellow for me, or is not going to go REALLY wide left just to show me that he knows I'm there, or is not going to simply wizz by me. I keep thinking what would I do, or how would I react (if I could) if someone were to intentionally try to side swipe me, or started gunning their engine RIGHT behind me, and would anyone really, deep down, have the stupidity to attempt to claim someone's life for no reason other than that they are riding a bike? Perhaps I am being paranoid, but as Andy Grove says, "Only the paranoid survive."

So I was wondering, has anyone been intentionally hit, riden off the road, hit with a mirror, etc.? I am not talking about accidents. Everyone has those and it's a matter of time before I do too (well, I hope not...knock, knock). Did you try to avoid it? Did you know it was coming?
Quote Reply
Re: Have you every been run off the road intentionally? [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 3 teenage guys about 6 or 7 years ago that zoomed across the road in front of me yelling "get the f#@* off the road" and cutting me off which forced me onto the gravel shoulder where I, luckily, managed to keep control and then get back on the road. Their response was to start braking hard in front of me and then zooming forward a bit at a time. As luck would have it they hit a red light about 200m further up the road and were forced to roll up the windows and lock the doors and wait impatiently for the light to change when a psycho, adrenline charged nut with shaved legs jumped off his bike and stood next to their SUV cursing them silly for being such jerks. Unfortunately the anger and fear that such an episode causes clouded my judgement and I reacted that way instead of doing the smart thing and getting the plate number of the jeep.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you every been run off the road intentionally? [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was forced off the road once, but I consider myself partly to blame. I was toward the top of a hill with only one lane of traffic clear due to parked cars so I wouldn't let this guy pass me for fear he would avoid any oncoming traffic instead of me. He got quite pissed and yelled and honked when he went by. So far so good if I had left it at that but I "decided" to flip him off. I definitely knew it was coming when he pulled a Jim Rockford burning rubber 180 turn at the bottom on the other side of the hill and came roaring back toward me.

I was expecting to get killed but after he ran me off the road he jumped out and was just this little fortunately unarmed Korean guy. It degenerated into a shouting match until I started moving toward him and he realized he didn't have anything compelling to say and got back in the car and left. His wife was in the car hiding her face the whole time. Both were dressed like they were coming back from church, so he was probably pissed from the start at being forced to do that again.

Other than that a couple accidental mirror brushes by old farts in land yachts who didn't know where the boundaries of their vehicles were. Not counting M-80's , beer cans (even a full one), and other projectiles thrown at me when I lived in the midwest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's been skermishes with young white males in pick up trucks, big bad semi's, soccer moms in mini-vans, idiots in UAV's talking on their cell phones and a 16 yr. old girl on the first day of her driver's license, but none of it was ever intentional on their parts. Just a lack of familiarity with cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been run off of the road but this year a couple of kids threw a slurpie at me which fortunetly missed. I remembered the plate number and when I got home I drove down the street they turned on. Just a half a mile down the road the car was parked. The car had a for sale sign in it with a phone number. I called the number from my cell phone while parked about 100 feet away and asked to speek to the owner. I informed him of the incident and he was very apoligetic (sp?) A few moments later I heard the guy comming out of the house screaming at the kid. I never saw that car again.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only had a few out and out cases where I had been intentionally put into danger by a driver of the car. Usually the drivers have equally fallen into one of two categories/stereotypes: some younger redneck with a Nascar baseball hat with the sticker that says "I'd rather be hunting" or some sort of rebel flag type of sticker, the other is the frat boy with mom and dads SUV driving around with his intellectually stunted friends in the back seat egging him on. The trait in common though is young idiotic males that seem to have some sort of lingering doubts about their own sexuality that they seem to be theatened by another man with shaved legs, wearing spandex, and riding a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. I won't normally assume this but anytime this has happened usually a sarcastic comment has been yelled out the window just before they pull in front of me like "nice tights faggot".

Anyway, the few times it has happened I was by myself and in the bike lane. I never got hurt but it was a bit scary and happend so fast that I never got the tag numbers. I wouldn't let the possibility scare you, I try to ride very much respecting the laws of the road and be courteous to drivers and for the most part people will be decent if you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you every been run off the road intentionally? [gj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic seems to come up a lot. I ride about 4-6 hours a week, almost all on the roads, and have been riding for about 4 years. I live in central Pennsylvania (which has its share of hillbillies) and have never had a problem at all. Maybe it's the area where I live, but I am just amazed at how many bikers on this forum have so many problems with motorists. There just doesn't seem to be the biker/motorist tension around here that seems to be in a lot of places around the country.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you every been run off the road intentionally? [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always carry my cell phone that has a camera with it. Luckily I haven't had an opportunity to use it, but it could come in real handy. Maybe someday in the not too distant future you'll be able to take video with sound, then you'll have a strong case should you decide to take it to the authorities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a few close calls.What I do to protect myself is ride with a mirror on my bike that way when a car approaches from behind,I can look in the mirror and see what is going on.Also sometimes if drivers passing to close I will get more in the middle of the lane.This forces them to pass in the next lane,plus gives me a few feet of road to play with.The driver might get mad and yell but they can't roar by a few feet from my elbow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One time, I was riding my bike alone on the two lane road in my local park. Like in many parks, all traffic goes in one direction. It was about 7:00 am on a Sunday. The park was basicly deserted. I was minding my own business and I got whacked in the back of the head by the driver side mirror of a black ford conversion van. Lucky for me, it was a newer van with the plastic mirrors that collapse in. The hit sent me straight into the curb. I flew right over the sidewalk. Then, I and the bike did a summersault (sp?) and landed in some grass. That was my first and only crash (Thank God). The driver had to have known that he/she hit me but they ket going. The mirror made a loud "CLACK" sound when it collaped in. That part I remember seeing clearly. Then, I struck the curb. The rest happend really so fast. I didn't have any time to get the licence plate. And since the park was "deserted" nobody else saw what happend. With a whole empty lanes available to the van and no other cars around, I still don't understand why the person had even get so close, let alone whack me. So, to answer your question, I can't help but think that it was a deliberate action. I wish I had filed a police report but, at the time, I just wanted to get the heck out of that park.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Have you every been run off the road intentionally? [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom H, I agree with you completely. I also live in Central Pa and ride around the Mt. Gretna area and rarely have any car trouble. Though, the only trouble I ever seem to have is when we go through Hershey. This year we had firecrackers thrown at us.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you every been run off the road intentionally? [bigd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two years ago i had a white van pass so close to me that the mirror grazed my jersey and as the guy passed me he put two over into the gravel to the right of the shoulder i just assumed he was trying to kick gravel up on me. I got caught at the next light and as i went down the next hill there is this white van buried in a concrete post well off the road. Several cars stopped and cell phones came out to call for paramedics, the guy hit the steering wheel and windshield, no seatbelt. I can only guess he was fell asleep at the wheel or was drunk, i don't know if he survived, he was a mess. It is very hard to ride 25 miles home with that jelly leg feeling. Crazy stuff.

Also just 2 weeks ago some kids drilled me with an aquafina bottle as they drove by. Shocked, angry and giving the international salute of displeasure i failed to get a plate number.

In over ten years of serious riding i think i've been fortunate.
Quote Reply