Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinergy Whee's are they Safe???
Quote | Reply
http://home.interlynx.net/~pjdu/

I don't know if this has been discussed here before (I'm new), but I have these wheels and having read this study, I am quite worried.

Comments??

Thanks

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Whee's are they Safe??? [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a guy in our roadie group who rides these but he's braver than I am. The number of failures have been relatively few but it does make you wonder. Here is an interesting take on them from an expert wheel builder http://yarchive.net/bike/spinergy.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that a few years back - seen some nasty crashed on Spinnergys and saw one near amputation when I guy went down and his arm went into another racers rear spinnergy and then was cut more than in half by the blades against the frame.

I for one wont ride them. (then again I have Zipps)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i rode an old set of these this past season without any problem at all. i've since sold them and upgraded to hed 3's, only because i had the resource to do so, not because of any problems with the wheels. check out the bike racks at many races and you'll find that LOTS of people race on the rev-x's. i did lots of research on them after reading that guy's website too. not sure how true (or untrue) any of it is, but i've never heard of any first hand stories of the wheels failing, it always seem to be "a guy in a race once..." or "someone my friend knew..." or similar (like some anonymous guy creating a web page about it). who knows? maybe they are prone to failure, but i personally think it is unlikely.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Whee's are they Safe??? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Rev-X's are excellent wheels. Have the people in crits in So Cal use them. I think a major reason why Spinergy stopped making them is because the UCI outlawed them in racing.

Just like all of your gear, you should periodically check them for wear.

Just go out and ride!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Rev-x rear whell for 3 seasons and had no problems with it at all. I'd still be riding it except that I bought a newer Hed Deep. I know quite a few people that ride them and I've never heard of anyone complaining about any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was one of those riders who had a front Rev-X wheel fail. (Serious injuries)

It was the way the wheel failed that scares me. No warning, wheel just disappeared in a blink at 30+ mph.

Chuck M. in San Diego
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gees... this is waaay old. I have a 6-7 yr. old pair that has about 4,000 miles... no problems.

Whether they are more or less of a problem than other wheels of similar design or material... don't know and no one else has precise data to support a particular safety issue (if such an issue truely exists or existed).

However, there are sights that are bogus in nature with claims of major defect and design flaws (..although they appear to be factual and informative). The sights have no "true" basis for their all encompassing "facts" (And, in fact... are outright wrong or omit crucial contrary facts/issues). This does not mean the wheels do not have (or had) safety issues. It just more of a question of whether the issues are as rampant and severe as seem to be indicated by biased internet sights.

All products fail (specially high performance aging products)... are Rev X's Spinergies subject to greater degree of failure? It has been my and others experience that they do not.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply