Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it possible to tell when a cluster is bad?
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a new mountain bike yesterday and the cluster is a cheapo, lower end model from Shimano. I was able to upgrade the crankset, bottom bracket and pedals, but ran out of time to upgrade the cluster to XT. What do you think? Should I just ride it until it's done and if so, how do I tell if it's ready for replacement or should I just bite the bullet and get the new XT cluster now before the chain starts to wear with the stock cluster and needs to be replaced as well.

Also, My buddy recommends that I replace my chain every 1,000 miles regardless if it doesn't measure stretched, because it's cheaper than chain ring/cluster replacements. What say you about this as well?

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to tell when a cluster is bad? [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're buddy's got a good plan, if a bit overzealous. Buy a chain guage and just replace a little early. Chains are cheaper than clusters.

As to the one you have, I'd ride it a while. Visual inspection of the cogs will sometimes help, or you can tell if your chain jumps a bit, but by then it's already pretty far gone. I try to change my gears about every fourth chain (± 6000 mile) and that's worked out OK for me.

I've also found that there isn't a huge difference between top-of-the-line clusters and cheaper ones. I race on Dura Ace, but I use Ultegra on my training bike.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to tell when a cluster is bad? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW! You guys can get along. Sorry couldn't resist just finished reading the other thread.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
You guys can get along. [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean and I can get along, it's Eric who likes to pick fights. I bet he got beat up a lot when he was a kid...

And I agree, the swim should be longer!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply