Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Injury - Achilles Tendon
Quote | Reply
I have just completed a half ironman (Atomic Man) two weeks ago and have continued my marathon training for NYC marathon which is in two and half weeks.

I completed a long run (15 Miles) one week after the Half Ironman and developed some tendinitis in my right Achilles Tendon. My doctor has told me that there is no impending rupture and nothing is torn.

I have had a great season up until this past week. My race is on November 2nd. I ran last night and had to stop after 5 minutes. I am going to Physical Therapy today to have it worked on.

Has anyone had any experience with this injury. How long for recovery? In your opinion, do you think I can still run this marathon?

Need some guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Injury - Achilles Tendon [kfisher247] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your therapist will be able to tell you much better, but I will offer this thought. The smartest training I ever did to get ready for the NY marathon one year was to develop tendonitis (not my Achillies) one week before the race. I couldn't run that week until a jog the day before. I hit the starting line feeling fantastic and had maybe my best race ever.

Don't worry about anything else but getting the injury healed. Do the therapy. If you are kid you will probably be fine. If you are old guy like me, well, too bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Injury - Achilles Tendon [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art:

Thanks for the thoughts. I am young, 31 and very frustrated. Have had a great Tri season and now I am dealing with this. I will see what the PT says today. Again, thanks for the response.

kevin r. fisher .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had this problem on and off for several years. It goes away with continuous icing. When my achilles becomes inflamed, I try to ice two or three times a night for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. I usually do it while watching tv or reading in bed. A bag of frozen vegetables works great.

But you should still see your pt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was starting the beginning stages of training for my third Cal Int Marathon and developed Achilles Tendonitis. After a 10-mile race on my training schedule, I pulled up very lame. I received some GREAT info from posters here regarding this type of injury, including this one http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...lles-heel-injury.htm. from nilloc (the link is currently non-functioning and I hope it's temporary).

I haven't run since the first week of September and have put my hopes of a third CIM off completely. I'm totally resigned to the fact that I need to get things right instead of making them worse and that means no running for me until it's completely healed.

To combat my need to train and race I've started to hit the weights and do more lower impact cardiovasular workouts and started to race cyclocross (there's some running, but not much) and mountain bikes. Cycling and swimming are great diversions if you can't run, but of course, they're no substitute.

Take care.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Running Injury - Achilles Tendon [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Be careful! you really don't want to seriously injure your achilles.

2. There was a study that ended up recommending that you do heel raises on an incline plane 3 times a day. When the pain is gone add a backpack with some weight to increase the resistance. The incline was important to stretch as well a strengthen.

3. Build a 'wobble plate' a disk of plywood about 24 inches in diameter with a hole in the center. Place it on a ball (start with a baseball, then move to a softball). Stand on it and wobble. Good for ankle strengthening, achilles tendon problems and shin splints.

4. Ice and Rest

Good Luck
Tom
Quote Reply