Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

License bicyclists and ban them on many public roads?
Quote | Reply
I came across this article on Netscape. Seems pretty one-sided and exaggerated...but I'm sure reflects the views of many motorists...

I'd cut-and-paste it here, but I'm not sure what the copyright rules are. Here is the link:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/autos/package.jsp?name=autos/sharing_road1
Quote Reply
Re: License bicyclists and ban them on many public roads? [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently trying to contact John Cobb about designing an aero vanity license plate for my P3, which will read "kismybut"

Also, I find it ironic that when you go to the link, Allstate has an auto insurance ad at the top directed toward reckless drivers... coincidence?

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: License bicyclists and ban them on many public roads? [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting article. I wonder if the author realizes that alot of those with drivers permits probably shouldn't be driving at all? I don't know about you but I'm scared.
One final thing, someone needs to kill that goat in Chicago, it's so sad.
Quote Reply
Re: License bicyclists and ban them on many public roads? [grumpyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I e-mailed the guy about that story.If you would like to e-mail him here it is.

Dave

EPeters952@aol.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Said in my best Bugs Bunny voice... "What a maroon!"

License bicyclists? I can just see 10 year-old little Tommy down the street ,sitting on his BMX and getting his first ticket from Officer Hardass because he didn't have his license renewed after he hit the big one oh.

Is this guy joking?

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Eric Peters (EP), whoever he is, is so misinformed it is laughable. Here are some of his statements compared to what the Florida Drivers Handbook (FLDH) says, followed by my comment in parends:

EP--"Since the cyclist has no license to begin with, there are no DMV points."

FLDH--"Bicycle riders will receive traffic tikets for traffic violations." -and- "The local governments of counties, cities, towns, and other municipalities can adopt ordinances regulating bicycle riding. Some towns may also have registration and licensing ordinances." (Most of us have driver's licenses and pay insurance, too (except maybe Tom D.))

EP--"Bicycles used on a public road don't have to pass an annual state safety inspection to assure the good working order of their brakes."

FLDH--"Bikes must have brakes which allow stopping within 25 feet when traveling at 10 mph on dry, level, clean pavement." (In Florida, cars don't have to pass annual safety inspections either. It has been shown to be a waste of time and money, but you can still get a ticket for driving with faulty equipment.)

EP--"Bicycles are also unique in not being required to have headlights or brake or turn signals."

FLDH--"For use between sunrise and sunset, a bicycle must be equipped with a lamp on the front exhibiting a white light visible from 500 feet to the front and both a red reflector and a lamp on the rear exhibiting a red light visible from 600 feet to the rear." -and- "Signal your intent to turn to other vehicle operators by pointing in the direction you are going to turn." (Hey Eric, when are drivers going to start using THEIR lights and turn signals?)

EP--If it is unlawful for a motorist to impede the flow of traffic by driving 20 miles an hour below the posted speed limit, why are bicyclists allowed to do the same thing?"

FLDH--"If you are not traveling at the speed of other traffic, stay on the rightmost portion of the roadway except when passing, making a left turn, avoiding hazards, or when a lane is too narrow for you and a car to share it safely." (Thus not "impeding the flow of traffic.")

EP--"If bicycles want to "share the road" with cars and other vehicles, they ought to meet the same requirements."

FLDH--"Persons riding bicycles have the same rights and duties as drivers of motor vehicles." (No further comment needed.)

EP--"Bicyclists are lawfully entitled in most areas to peddle away at will--whenever, wherever."

FLDH--Law does not discuss selling anything while on a bicycle, so I assume Mr. Peters is correct here. May be the only correct statement in his diatribe.
Quote Reply