Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Umm... do you swim with an HRM on???
Quote | Reply
I just got the Timex Bodylink data recorder, and I noticed something when I was importing my workout in to the training software. You can select "swimming" as a workout. Huh? Swimming?

I googled "swimming heart rate monitor" and found this site http://www.heartmonitors.com/swimming_heart_rate.htm

Question for the forum: Does anyone actually do swim training with an HRM strapped on?
Quote Reply
Re: Umm... do you swim with an HRM on??? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race with the monitor on, simply so I don't have to put it on before the bike. It's always fun to glance at the watch as the swim ends. Usually about 160 for me. Then, I stand up and run to the bike. By the time I get to the bike, it's at 180+.

I tried to get my Timex to work in the water, but I can't get a reading. The Polar works in the water. I've never worn it in training, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started swimming, I tried using my HRM. Unfortunately, the drag on the chest strap would constantly pull it down, and it would end up around my waist. It would have to keep stopping to pull it up. You can get suspenders for it if you want (then it looks like you have a bra on) and that will probably keep it in place, but I never tried that. None of the other people I swim with use one either(about 40 people.)

I found that the chest strap was too distracting to use in the pool. I do wear it religiously for races, though, since my wetsuit holds it in place, and it works like a charm.

I have found that I am addicted to my HRM, and use it for all my workouts. I do use the watch to record my total swim workout times and lap times/splits.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Umm... do you swim with an HRM on??? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Under a wetsuit, I always wear it. I found that if you want to use it in the pool, the only thing that works is to wear a surfing rash guard (basically a tight polypro shirt that still lets you swim) to hold it in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it a few times and it was a pain in the neck to hold the chest strap for every pushoff so it would stay in place. Ruined my glide and my lap time too. A rash guard would definietly do the trick if you absolutely feel compelled to wear it in the pool. I've always used a Polar Monitor and it picks up well in the water. In open water I've used it plenty of times, mostly under my wetsuit or skinsuit with no issues.

What I have really discovered is that in the water I use time as a guage rather than HR.

If you do at simulated LT test in the water (3X300 with 30 sec rest between them) and get it down so they ae all within about 3-5 second of each other that's a rough guage of your swimming LT. You can then extract your average for 100 yd. and use it as a benchmark.

So lets say I complete my 300 in 3 minutes ( I don't by the way, I'm closer to 4:30 but working on it!). That means I should shoot for an 8 minute 800 yd and so on to swim right at threshold the whole way.

This method also allows me to test myself as my training has progressed to see how I've improved over time.

Good luck.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the pool? No. Open water with a wetsuit? Yes. It seems harder for me to go by perceived exertion in the water. I need to be reminded in the training swims to dial it back. I leave the sound off when racing, I'm really only wearing it then to track total time and calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book on heart rate training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You folks are all too thin. I have been swimming with my Polar in the pool with no problems for several years now. I do have to tighten the strap considerably to do this. It feels too tight while on deck, but once wet there is no discomfort. My training buddies have trouble with theirs as well. But they are all built like swimmers or, as I tell them, teenage girls. They say my success is based on the "shelf" that is between my pecks and my gut. But enough of that, just sitting at work on Friday really bored waiting for lunchtime to go for a run.

CH
Quote Reply