Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

time to train
Quote | Reply
Ever wondered what it would be like to train with and where a lot of the top Pro's train everyday? Here's your chance. I've got a fully furnished room for rent in Carlsbad, CA. $600 a month covers erverything except food.

You're one mile to the Carlsbad Master's swim program, one mile to the beach and a 30 mile ride to the inland mountains (Palomar Mtn, 12 mile climb).

Available for short term, 1 month or up to 4 months (end of February).

Great Christmas present to yourself, take December off and train like a Pro.

E-mail for more info.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: time to train [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will that include coaching services also :)
Quote Reply
Re: time to train [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will that include coaching services also :)

Yes -- every morning Mike will smack you awake with an old pair of track spikes and yell, "Get the hell out of my house and go train!"

Mike is ruthless. I once mentioned to him before a club sprint race that I had "taken it easy" on the run the previous race. He was clearly not amused. He gave me a squinty stare and said, "So what's that all about?"

Uh...well...uh...you see...uh...I'll run hard today, ok?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"take December off and train "

Train in December!! And miss all that good food, drink and cheer around X-mas. You gotta be kidding. I take a couple of weeks off from training in December in order to pig out. Usually gain about five lbs or so. Might do some down hill skiing over the two weeks but that's usually about it. Training resumes with a vengeance after the New Year.
Quote Reply
Ruthless Mike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yaaa! That is what I need! Mike, what is the going rate for menacing phone calls calling me a "little girlie man, with birdie legs" if I have not completed my scheduled workout for the day.

Its funny, I really enjoy training once I get started, but starting a workout can be tough sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: time to train [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CV Guy,

I think you have it all wrong. First of all, why do you think we train are asses off here? We don't miss any food or drink 12 months of the year, at least I don't. Skiing in December? Not a problem. Here, you can get up early, get a run in, hit the road and be on the slopes by 9am, get a half day of skiing in and be back home to surf in the late afternoon. I haven't done it yet (ski and surf on the same day) but am planning on it for my birthday 11/30.

Big Bear and Mountain High ski resorts are a 2 hour drive north of here (a 20 minute drive from Slowman's house to Mountain High). Not the greatest ski resorts in CA, but easily on par with Blue Mountain or Horsehoe Valley in Ontario.

Quote Reply
Re: time to train [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Will that include coaching services also :)

I'm sure we could work something out. Your other room-mate is the manager of a well know area tri store, so just the sponge value that you'd get between the two of us is worth the money. Bring your climbing legs though, the plan is to do a ton of climbing miles on the bike from December thru March.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"on par with Blue Mountain or Horsehoe Valley in Ontario. "

Mike, I used to ski Blue Mountain all the time. Now that I'm in eastern Ontario I usually go to St. Jovite or upstate NY, although not that often any more. Tend to do much more x-country skiing in our immediate area these days. It's cheaper and a better cardio workout than downhill. My son lives in Golden, BC. Now that's where you get some real downhill skiing.

Wouldn't mind some warm California weather over X-mas. In fact we might slip south to the Caribbean for a week of scuba diving over the holiday, probably Cuba, if my son doesn't come for X-mas this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I credit Blue Mountain for one of the key factors in taking me from being a decent high school runner to a much better high school runner. I was a member there for a couple of years while in high school and when they openned their summer slide, I got a job working there (summer of 78). That summer on my off days I didn't nothing but run up and down that mountain every day. Long runs along the trails and hill repeats up and down a road that went up the side of Happy Valley. In that one summer I cut a lot nearly a minute off my 5km time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I credit Blue Mountain ...."

So you know the area. Are you a displaced Canuk living in California? My ex's parents had a cottage in Wasaga Beach. We used to go there quite a bit in the late 70's thru late 80's back when the beach was quite trendy. Too much like Coney Island North nowadays. She actually moved there after her parents died and we divorced but now is in BC. Knew the area well but don't get out that way much any more. Used to really like the night skiing at Blue Mountain. Thanks Mike for reminding of some good memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I would call myself displaced, that has a bit of a negative connotation to it (unintended I am sure) and my experience south of the (CDN) border has been nothing short of great the past 24 years. I can't imagine ever going back to Canada to live. I did grow up in Toronto (Scarborough), and came to the States to run track on scholarship at an American university. My Grand parents lived in Penatang so I did spend plenty of time at Wasage Beach also.

Quote Reply