Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold cough
Quote | Reply
Training in the throws of winter... I can't seem to prevent/avoid running outside when it's 0-10*F without feeling like by breath is freezing before I finish inhaling. I finish a short run of 3-5 mi and have a dry/ sore throat, sometimes with coughing, the rest of the day. Any advice? I'd like to keep training outside and skip the treadmills/indoor gyms. Should I buy a ski-mask, or any apparel in particular that other people have found helpful? I'd like something that can be worn with sunglasses that doesn't leave me fogging up my lenses every time I exhale!
Quote Reply
Re: Cold cough [TriDivah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a neck gator. Fleece if it is super cold else lululemon came out with a cotton one that I really like
Quote Reply
Re: Cold cough [TriDivah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suffer from this too. I first noticed it when I lived in Korea and regularly ran in 15-20 degree weather. 10 years later I was diagnosed with asthma and this is just one symptom of my asthma. When I run in cold weather I wear a neck gaitor and pull it up over my mouth (I'm a mouth breather) and it helps a lot. I can pull it up over my nose too if I want too and I do in temps below freezing. I also use my inhaler before and after a cold run and that seems to help a lot. Nobody really knows why this happens but they suspect that with the first breathe of warm air, moisture/condensation develops in your lungs from the temperature change.

You can buy neck gaitors on amazon for $10 or if you sew they take about 5 minutes to make.
Quote Reply