Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Headset help: what's the difference between threaded and threadless?
Quote | Reply
Can someone please tell me the difference between a headset that is threaded and threadless.

Thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Headset help: what's the difference between threaded and threadless? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key difference is how the fork is attached to the frame.

A threaded fork uses the top part of the threaded headset to hold the fork to the frame. The stem has a quill which is inserted into the fork.

A threadless fork uses a threadless headset. The stem fits over the fork stearer tube and is clamped to the tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Headset help: what's the difference between threaded and threadless? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add:

pros of threaded: with the right stem shaft, the stem can be run as high as you want. I think it is pretty easy to adjust.

cons: Weight (stem shaft, wedge bolt, stem bolt, lock nut of headset). With the exception of the Wound up threaded steerer (as it is filament wound carbon fibre), there is only one material that can be used dependably (beacause of threading).

Pros of threadless: lighter, easy to adjust, simplifies the connection of stem to fork. Steerer material can be much lighter.

cons: carbon steerers tend to not be very strong when stem is run with over 20mm of spacers, are stuck with one steerer height once it has been cut.

I was very hesitant with the threadless, but liked it much better once I owned one. But I still dont like the integrated headsets.
Quote Reply
Re: Headset help: what's the difference between threaded and threadless? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks for the input. I guess what kind of folk you have determines your headset style. My new frame accepts 1 inch but thats all I know right now, I should have the frame by Monday.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply