Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How about Kona AG predictions!
Quote | Reply
I'll kick this off with a few Age Group predictions. Caveat being, you never know for certain who actually starts, the qualifier list is available at www.ironmanlive.com.

New records in M45 (Jeff Cuddeback) to go with his M35 and M40 course records. Missy LeStrange W50, Norimitsu Shiromoto of Japan wins M50, Bob Scott another M70 win.

That's as far as I go w/o really guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll toss in two:

1. Michael Tymoff to post the fastest or one of the faster bike splits.

2. Me - not to finish....the fact that I didn't qualify has a lot to do with this one.

Alan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Cuddeback to go for the record in 45 to 49 ag. He will then hold three age group records at Kona.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to go with my coach, Don Fink. He's in a tough age group but look at what he's done so far this year.

Ironman New Zealand (March 1): 9 hours, 26 minutes, 45-49 age group course record; first place in the AG by 41 minutes.  

* Ironman Brazil (May 24): 9 hours, 30 minutes, 45-49 age group course record; first place in the AG.

* Ironman USA (July 27) : Second place in the 45-49 AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Diana Hassel (W35) and Lydia Schlosser (W45) and (hopefully) Jane Esahak-Gage (W40)? Go, ladies!!!!!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about Diana Hassel (W35) and Lydia Schlosser (W45) and (hopefully) Jane Esahak-Gage (W40)?

Jane Esahak-Gage is getting closer and closer every year. I think and hope this is her year!!

Go Jane and George!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just raced with Jeff at the nationals and his swimming was in top form. We both broke away from the field, but then I dropped him on the bike pretty easily. We were both suprised at the level of competition there, and I think I will have to give my vote in that AG to Tony Shiller. If you are looking for past results, then he has it all, but Ironman can be funny. I would'nt bet the house on anybody. I think I also heard that John Brokenbrough was racing. Old Joe Boness will have a little comp this year I believe....
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuddeback is tired from his IM buildup, so I wouldn't say Nationals was that good of an indication. Schiller really does not particularly care for IM's, at least that's what he's told me. But he did not do Nats so maybe he's really keying on Kona (then Worlds) in which case..... Long course vs. Short is a whole 'nother ball of wax as you know. I'm sticking with the Cudd. Fink might be worn out in his 4th Ultra. Sleeper in M45 is Patrick Wallace (winner at 1/2 IM utah). And, there's always the Belgian Bad Boy Rudolphe Von Berghe.

Michael Blue will be tough M40, but there's always some German!
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [mikaelcars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jane and George are racing well, so let's hope for the best! We sure couldn't cheer for 2 nicer people :-).

Go Jane!! Go George!!

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch for Kevin Moats to surprise with a top three or better placing in 45-49. He won his AG at St. Croix and IMCDA and in Sept won a half ironman in SC outright. If it is hot in Kona this year he will take Tony S and Joe B for sure. If Jeff C is on he will be hard to beat but Moats is usually quite close to him at any distance.
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that John Brokenbrough raced duke blue devil this past weekend and took 3rd in 9:39, so it's unlikely he'll be on form!

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably right about John B, not likely to do 2 Ironmans in a row. But I do like Kevin Moats. He has the physiology for Ironman when it is really hot. Not super fast, but he can just keep a steady pace through any conditions. Still like Schiller though, just too much raw speed in the bike and run.

USAT $30 paid member

Monty
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, you are right on Moats. How did I forget him? That guy's my inspiration, he's been at it forever at a high level. No breaks that I can recall. He was a solid pro in the 80's then moved on to AG racing and really has not missed a beat. He did drop Hawaii in '01 in the hurricane, but hey, we'll give him that. What makes the guy so durable? Lots of talk about Bonness, who is amazing, but let's put another ten years of this stuff on those "fresh" legs and see where we're at. As long as we are on the 45-49 bunch (boy that's a tough group! friggin' baby boomers), don't forget Greg Taylor who was third last year and has won the M40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you, Kevin has been one of my role models for multisport racing. I got involved in triathlon when living in Atlanta back in the 80s and was able to do some training "around" (ie not "with" exactly!!) him and he is one tough hombre. I think his aggressive personality was a little abrasive to some in those days but he was nothing but helpful to me. The longevity is unreal: remember that he was a 7 time winner of the Atlanta Marathon and has done NY and Boston too....PR is under 2:20. I've lost contact with him but have followed his racing all along and he is gonna be right there for Kona. You gotta respect a guy who raced marathons in his 20s and early 30s, went over to triathlon in the mid 80s and now 20 years later still does Kona year in and year out. Not sure what his "secret" might be but suspect it is a combination of good genes, hard work and passion for what he is doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep your eyes on Shelby Sheffield ( 30-34). She is a top age grouper 5th at nationals. And she has been focusing this year on Kona...........
Quote Reply
Re: How about Kona AG predictions! [chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost forgot another comebacker for the 25th anniv. Dean Harper. He's 50 and has a great chance.
Quote Reply