Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new wetsuits? and prices oh my.
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy a new wetsuit and just saw the latest Triathlete magazine. Man I new this sport was expensive but some of the wetsuits next year are going to cost $450-$460 bucks!!! Are those suits really worth that, I was looking at a Predator 2 for $399 and thought that seemed reasonable or maybe the stealth at $420 or the T1 but now I am totally confused. Do you think next years suits are worth the extra $50-$60 bucks? and what is metal cell/nano, I am not sure I need any more heavy object weighing me down when I swim.

skip.

Portland, Maine

Quote Reply
Re: new wetsuits? and prices oh my. [skiper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out www.wetsuit.com It's a company called ProMotion located in Hood River, Oregon. Their top of the line glideskin neoprene full suit sells for $289.00 I have an older standard neoprene suit from them and it has held up to many less than gentle doffings. I think they added a lifetime seam guarantee for 2003-04.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the new wetsuits worth it?

Not unless you're a very elite level competitor, or swim in sub sixty degree water on a regular basis.

I'd say get a cheaper one (QR ultrajon, Orca multisport, ect...) you swim times will improve some and you'll retain body heat (if you swim in cold water.)

I'd say though, if for every dollar you spent on a wetsuit more, you put that many hours in the pool, there's no question, the pool time will make you much faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a new QR for $125. off the net. Was very lucky because it was liquidation from a tri store that went under. I agree that the prices of the top of the line suits seems very high. For the average AG'er you're probably not very likely to see any difference between an entry level and TOL suit. Swimming is all about technique, work on it and you'll go faster. IMO, the suit is more of a safety device for flotation and warmth.
Quote Reply
If you think the wetsuits were bad...... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
......did anyone else notice the $399 Wipperman titanium chain? What a deal. I'm ordering three.

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: new wetsuits? and prices oh my. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how much difference in time does a Suit like an Ironman Stealth , or an orca P2 or a QR Hydrofull save over the cheaper suits like the Speedsuit Instinct or Ultrafull or even the multisport options.

Then how much more will these new suits save.

I've never had a problem being cold in my wetsuit but if an extra $200 saves a couple of minutes per mile then its a pretty efficient spend. Much cheaper than some of the stuff I have bought for my bike :)

I'm looking to upgrade from an old fullsuit next season, and would pay the extra price if it was anything more than just marketing hype???

my .02c
Quote Reply
Re: new wetsuits? and prices oh my. [Jimmy Jimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but if an extra $200 saves a couple of minutes per mile ....... would pay the extra price if it was anything more than just marketing hype??? " Unfortunately, unlike bike parts, you can't test this stuff in a wind tunnel. Personally, I'm a little sceptical. The key word here is "if".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speaking of high end wetsuits, did anyone else catch the new graphics for qr's superfull (inside triathlon's latest issue)?

hell, they should be paying us to wear it!!!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want, I have a used twice orca predator 2 sleeveless, that I sell for $200. size is 6 (S in the old orca sizing). nearly new.
Quote Reply
Re: new wetsuits? and prices oh my. [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude totally agree. the new QR looks like something the tin man would wear if he were a triathlete - or real for that matter.
Quote Reply
Re: new wetsuits? and prices oh my. [Jimmy Jimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmy,

Check out this link regarding the Ironman Stealth suit. http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=1002

What was QR thinking w/ their new graphics?
Quote Reply
Re: new wetsuits? and prices oh my. [Wireless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm, Ironman wetsuits advertise on xtri.com and then there is a good review of their product. Coincidence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I needed a new wetsuit (since I'd lost about 17 pounds). Had the same sticker shock. Then I found a company on the Internet located in England. For some reason still unknown to me, their prices were SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER! I got the QR Superfull for $300 (which included the shipping) which normally goes for $425, plus tax, etc. The site is http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/ . I recommended them to my buddy and he got one from them as well. Thank God for the "global economy"!

I'm just one 50-mile race away from my goal weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an orca longsleeve speedsuit 2 years ago at i-man florida. Wore it for that race and maybe 3 other times. Paid 275.00 for it....its yours for 100.00. Im 5'10...164 and it fits like a glove. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should really check out the De Soto T1. I just bought one, and this thing is amazing! The two piece idea is really great. Plus, it's a top of the line wetsuit, and goes for $384 with the top and bottom. Check out bike sport Michigan's review of it at www.bikesportmichigan. Like I said, I've been really pleased with mine.

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply