Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Idea for the manufacturers...
Quote | Reply
I have been tossing this 10 speed question around in my head for quite awhile. It has made me really think on this: Do we really need 10 speeds in the bike leg of a tri? I am a proponent for 10 speeds on a road bike, no question.

What I propose is this: Make an 8 speed option for the tri geeks and TT-ers. Use the 10 speed rear mechs, but offer a lightweight, eight or six speed block for the tri geeks. The spacing would remain the same, so they could the same size cogs and save some weight. I think that with the exception of the most technical, hilly, or draft legal courses, 10 speeds is overkill.

My concept: a six or eight speed cassette, along with a Bartol system, and all of the other advances in the newer generation stuff could make a lightweight, mechanically simple, more aero bike. Simple elegance, as I say.

Will I go 10? Only if it gets incredibly inconvenient to stay with 9.
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for the manufacturers... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Doug! I think it's a no brainer. Absolutly see NO reason for 10 speeds unless riding/racing on the road. Even for the most hilly/technical Tri course, a 9 speed should do just fine. At least that's my thought.

I noticed that this season, when I raced mostly flat, I kept my gearing pretty much constant. Big ring (56) and constant switched between the 16 -14 on the back. Rarely did I race out side of these gears.

10 Speeds are overkill.
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for the manufacturers... [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno about this one. I raced some pretty hairy courses this season, and I've been anywhere from my 42-23 (grinding up hill) to my 53-11 (flying down that same hill). This was all using 9 speeds. Do I think 10 speeds is necessary? No, probably 8 would be fine too. 6 seems a little thin to me. To be honest, I don't think 10 speeds is necessary for road racing either (I did fine with 9 for the last couple of years). 10 speeds is a way for the gruppo companies to suck more scrilla from your pockets. More, must be better right? Pttttttttttttttttt. I guess the same could have been said about going from 8 to 9, but that happened before I got into racing, so I'm preaching from my point of view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for the manufacturers... [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fran,

Most people do not use more than three or four gears unless the course is hilly or technical. I only say that the road riders need ten gears because of accelerations and braking

Join the revolution, Fran!!!!!

Good yackin' atcha.
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for the manufacturers... [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eight to nine was a no brainer, as the only replacement parts needed were chainring, chain, cassette, rear mech, and shifter. This often resulted in an upgrade in a little over $200 for a bar end kit, $300 for a STI kit.

I think ten will go onto an 8/9 spline, but not the other way around.

I said technical courses exempt. This is why I advocate the cassette kits I speak of. MDT does one for 8 and 9 speeds, but not 10. But the manufacturers could do it and make it a really clean thing, and make it an option for their group. But what do I know?
Quote Reply
You might want to have a look at this from the land of TT's [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.mdt-products.com/.../cassette-saver.html

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for the manufacturers... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to predict a future thread here.

5 years from now.

Bunnyman:

I have been tossing this 13 speed question around in my head for quite awhile. It has made me really think on this: Do we really need 13 speeds in the bike leg of a tri? I am a proponent for 13 speeds on a road bike, no question.
What I propose is this: Make an 10 speed option for the tri geeks and TT-ers. Use the 13 speed rear mechs, but offer a lightweight, nine or ten speed block for the tri geeks. The spacing would remain the same, so they could the same size cogs and save some weight. I think that with the exception of the most technical, hilly, or draft legal courses, 13 speeds is overkill.

etc, etc...

I think the new standard will allways look like overkill untill we get used to it.

jaretj

(This message sent with 100% recycled kilobytes!!!)
Quote Reply
Re: You might want to have a look at this from the land of TT's [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see a huge advantage except for the person/company making this thing. I guess if you get this you'd better be damn sure you know the course and are not thrown a curve.
Quote Reply