Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon?
Quote | Reply
I have some pain in my hip/groin area. Dr. told me to get a hip arthrogram MRI. My marathon is on December 6--about three weeks away. Should I do the arthrogram now or wait until after the marathon? Apparently because of the dye injection into the hip there is a few days of recovery time.

The pain is nothing huge, I've only taken meds once to dull it. I've been able to run long and run fast through the pain. It actually goes away after the first mile or so. I feel it mostly after sitting for a while. Those first few steps are a little funky. The reason I went to the Dr is not the amount of pain, but how long it's lasting.

Just wondering what knowledgeable athletes think. My ortho is used to athletes and was recommended to me by some tri friends. But, there's nothing like some good old fashioned advice from people who actually compete.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, your race is probably not on Dec 6.
Second, it sounds like you are ready to race, so don't complicate your mind with possibly confusing MRI findings yet.
Good luck! CIM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't really have any down time/recovery time. They usually inject an anesthetic in there as well to see if you get relief. I don't think it will affect your marathon at all. I have FAI, but don't have clinical symptoms, but have an unrelated issue in my left hip that has been bothering me for about 4 years. Hip issues suck. This is just my experience. YMMV. Good luck.
Edit: also tell your doctor about your race. He may nix it, postpone the arthrogram, or do something else entirely. IMO, crippling yourself over a race (unless it is super important) is not worth it. I train and race with my issues because because they are pretty much permanent. They're there if I am completely sedentary or if I train 12+ hours a week. So, I do what i enjoy and deal with it. I dug myself into a hole early on by not letting an injury heal. I could have prevented four years of chronic injury with a couple months if rest... And, it has turned into a monster (torn labrum, it band, issues, lumbar pain, etc) I don't recommend that route.
Last edited by: HereForTheShirt: Nov 18, 13 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you're right! December 7 is race day. I'm doing the Rehoboth Beach marathon in Delaware. It's a great, small-ish race. Good timing to keep the activity level going during this time of year in the northeast.

I did 22 miles last weekend and feel fine today. So, I think you're right. I'll wait until after the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [HereForTheShirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He knows about the race. It's good to hear that you didn't have any recovery time. I'm reading about people who had it who couldn't walk down stairs without pain for several days. I don't mind taking off a day or two, but if you can't walk down stairs for days, how are you going to s/b/r?

I get you on making sure to let the injury heal. I did a long run of 22 miles with 13 at race pace this weekend. My hip hurt a bit afterwards. But, I was standing around in my sweaty clothes for a long time getting freezing cold. I think that contributed to the pain. After warming it up, no pain. Today I feel it just a bit for the first few steps after sitting down. I did a 30 min walk/run with my dog this morning and felt nothing. That makes me think I can wait a bit for the arthrogram--wait unitl after the race.

What do you think? I appreciate your advice and don't want to make a little nag turn into something worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been dealing with a hip issue all year: an mri, an arthogram, pt, and two bone scans later and still no clear-to-play. i wouldn't sweat any recovery from the arthogram. in fact, the injection may actually make you feel better. the steroid (i think that's what it is) relieved my pain for a few days and i had the only pain-free days of running i had all summer immediately following the mri with dye.

the bigger issue is what's going on in your hip and if you'll cause more damage with a race. i tried to run through my hip injury at kansas 70.3 with loads of advil and massage and running rest leading up to the race and ended up significantly complicating things and protracted my recovery.

also, when you get the test results, have your doc look explicitly for a stress reaction/fracture. when the radiologists read my mri, they missed my stress fractures twice because they were just looking for a torn labrum or a chronic impingement or something like that.

hip injuries no bueno.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clairec2007 wrote:
What do you think? I appreciate your advice and don't want to make a little nag turn into something worse.

IMO, if there is acute pain, then there is something wrong. Whether or not it is substantial, only the docs can say. Will you heal while training and racing without rest? Ask the docs. My guess is that without rest you will get worse before better. But, I am only going off my experience. If I could do it over again, I would ere on the side of caution. I've been dealing with this crap since my mid 20's and still (hopefully) have decades of training and racing ahead of me. After, 4 years of pain, I took 4 months off. No change. Like I said... I dug myself deep. And, my wife is a PT. So, we dry needle and I spend about 30-45 minutes a day doing exercises, stretching, and foam rolling. I'm just now starting to get better but it is microscopic improvements. Just don't break yourself. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an orthopedic surgeon who does about 80 hip arthroscopes a year and a 7 time IM finisher, my advice is wait until after the marathon unless you may not run depending on result. If you are planning to run regardless of result, then what until after. While rare, it can sometimes result in increased inflammation and you may not be able to run for 1-2 weeks. This is less than one in 1,000 but why chance it?
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [HereForTheShirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks guys! I think I freaked myself out a bit reading blogs of people who don't have and pain tolerance whatsoever. This is not my A race by any means, just something fun to keep myself moving this time of year. I want to be good and healthy for next year's A race.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well my appointment is set for 1:15 today. After reading this I'm feeling conflicted.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't mean to scare you. Basically, will the result change whether you race ? If so, then I would get before and chance it. If not, then why not wait till after your race. Given your last response, maybe the former applies.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely sounds like could be a hernia. Realize that 2 weeks really isn't that long of rest, particularly if you are older.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Hip Arthrogram 3 weeks before marathon? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. Sometimes ultrasound is better for certain hernias. Realize that there are varying severity as well as types of hernias so generalizing is not really appropriate. Sorry to be evasive, but it really isn't possible to answer your questions directly without an in person eval. Those are questions better for your treating physician.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a hip arthrogram about six months before arthroscopy to repair a severe FAI and labral tear. I experienced no ill effects from the procedure, and - in fact - the acute symptoms were absent for 3-4 days following the arthrogram. In my case, it appeared as though the dye injection procedure temporarily placed the errant tissue in a more favorable position - thus alleviating much of the abrasive contact inside of the joint.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I would like some advice please. I’ve got a labral tear and I’ve had cortisone injections etc etc.
I don’t have pain all the time, but when I do it is a nipping pain on my iliac crest (on the vertical part internal)
I ran a half marathon in 1:24 the day before I had my mri anthrogram. Could the fact I did this, make my tear look worse than it actually is on the mri? I really don’t want to go in for surgery if I don’t need to
Kid regards
DAVID
Quote Reply