Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT sanctioned race - what does it mean?
Quote | Reply
I am new to tri's (little more than 12 months now) and have only raced in Honolulu where at each USAT sanctioned races we ALWAYS have USAT "red shirt" officials on the course, and the head ref usually does a raceday brief before the tri commences. So far I have been impressed with this officiating and thought it was what happens at all USAT sanctioned races across the country.

But reading other recent posts on the subject of USAT, it appears that on the mainland, USAT sanctioned races may not have these "red-shirt" officials and a USAT ref at every race, but that the RD does this duty (bike penalties, etc) him/herself.

Is this correct?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioned race - what does it mean? [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're correct. Race Directors have a choice of bringing in USAT Officials, or enforcing the competitive rules themselves. You can find the rules out on USAT's website (www.usatriathlon.org).

Plus, there's a whole bunch of requirements for a sanctioned event. Stuff like course marking, traffic control, number of aid stations, medical staffing, ... It's also out on the website, I believe under events. Its interesting to read it, and then see how a race you enter stacks up against it.
Quote Reply