Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming without the large pool?
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if there is any way to simulate swimming laps or long distances without having to go to a lap pool? I have a small pool in my backyard and I would like to somehow attach a bungee cord to myself and swim 'in place' if I can. Most of my training has been at night and I can not find a pool that has late night hours. Running and biking is not a problem at night, but it is hard to jump fences at Community pools. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming without the large pool? [thomps22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can definately do that. There are several sources out there that sell similar apparatus, although being the cheap ba%@$rd that I am, I made my own. If you make your own, make sure what ever you tether yourself to is a few feet off the ground. This way the rope or bungee wont interfere with your feet. You might want to use a old belt, as a rope by itself will dig into you. I used it a couple of times and stopped out of boredum and the fact that my buddies were going to the pool and beach. IT is doable..Good Luck

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming without the large pool? [hpwvale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and if you make your own don't forget to have a quick release option for it. But if you go to www.tri-zone.com I'm pretty sure they'll have what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Stretch Cordz, sounds like what you want to try.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=661000&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetitive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D5%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CTraining&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D52%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CResistance%20Training&Gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=88E693CD837141AD849F3976A2827F9A

If that doesn't show up, look under the Competitve Swim -> Training section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would disagree with the stretch cord method and similar approaches. I have tried various cord systems and there are major problems if you want body movement that even faintly resembles real swimming (this does not count for dynamic training in real pools with long elastic cords used to add resistance or speed for sprint training over 25 yd lengths).

The problem is that, without any forward movement, your lower body (even if you kick realistically) will begin to sink immediately. You cold use floats between the legs, but you would have to use much more flotation than you would use normally when you do a pull set. And then your body angle would very bizarre. Also, distance swimming is a fine motor movement and more so than a power based action. Also, if you want to go fast, real swimming is very much based on "lift", not paddling. Swimming in place (water not moving) would encourage paddling. Actual swimming (water moving) would encourage you to master 'lift' with your arms and body.

If you were absolutely stuck in that pool, from my experience, you would gain more benefit from swimming pathetic laps in a 5 yd pool than stationary swimming. But the best thing is to go to a real pool--it is worth it. I don't know much about the realism or feel of an 'endless pool' (like a swimming treadmill) but they cost a lot more than I can afford. Anyway, hope that helps.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming without the large pool? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried www.trizone.com and it tells me that the website does not exist. Unfortunately, I do not even have 5 yards to swim in the pool. Here in AZ, there are very small 'wading' pools in backyards that give you enough room to jump in and jump out, and they are never shaped in the shape of a square or even have one straight edge. I do prefer swimming at the pool where I can get laps in but my schedule does not permit me to do so. I will definitely do the swimming on the weekend, but I am not a strong enough swimmer to expect to do well in an IM distance event by only swimming on weekends. Do you think I will be o.k. to swim with the 'bungee' twice during the week and then refine my skills on the weekend? I appreciate everyone's input.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming without the large pool? [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's http://www.tri-zone.com.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming without the large pool? [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure there are no pools available anywhere for you? Do you live in a town of 50 people? Have you tried city, county, state, high school, middle school, JC, college, university, YMCA, YWCA, health club, hospital wellness center, hotel, country club, etc., pools? (I am a veteran "pool finder") Some 'lifetime fitness' clubs have pools open 24 hours a day. Any good lakes, canals, and and resevoirs? I think you will see the bungees are practically useless, but you never know, you might discover a new way to make em work. Try, tri-zone.com

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming without the large pool? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am searching for a 24 hour pool. I would have to swim at 5am or at 8pm. I am just trying to find a way that I can get a good workout in the pool right at my house instead of having to go somewhere else. An early morning swim-bike brick would just make me a happy person, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. If bungee is not good for me, then so be it. I will be pool bound and have to change my schedule around. If I wasn't a rock with arms and legs, I wouldn't have this problem but I need as much 'pool work' as possible. Thanks for your replies.
Quote Reply