Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AndyPants - Treadmill at 15%?
Quote | Reply
Hi AP,

I believe you shared that as part of your Comrades marathon training you worked up to powerwalking an hour on the treadmill at 15%. Is this correct? Can you please detail some of the specifics?
I am looking to add some hill training to my running and wanted to include this workout as well given the challenge of hitting the hills in Ohio. I tried it on the treadmill yesterday at 15% and it was really difficult to walk at even 1 mph. What speed did you work up to? Were you focused on time on the treadmill or speed or both?

Anyone else use this as a training aid?

Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: AndyPants - Treadmill at 15%? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the max grade that the treadmill would go to - the display said 15% but you know what, I never checked to see how accurate that was. :-)

But yes I was able to get up to 4mph at max gradient, although the time I could sustain 4mph at that gradient was not very long. Bulk of time was in the 3-3.5mph range. I started with 1 minute intervals where I'd adjust the speed from 1 to 2 mph, and just alternated for ~12min. Then for 20min. Then 2mph to 3mph, minute on minute off, for 20min. Then increased the time interval at the higher speed. It is hard, you sweat like a mother, and your calves and shins scream.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: AndyPants - Treadmill at 15%? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I believe you said you found this training beneficial, yes? I am going to try the 1 min on/off tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: AndyPants - Treadmill at 15%? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I definitely did - I was able to walk past a lot of folks on the long hills. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, the first workout was tough and the sweating is crazy! But I am going to keep at it. Hills don't like me - my power to weight ratio has too much weight! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, finally did the workout. Holy Hip Flexors!

Was not able to walk at 1mph when my treadmill was set @ 15%. Almost wonder if something was wrong as the belt speed was super fast. Turned it back to 10% and that was doable. Used your 1 min on/off method. Walked 1 min @ 10% @ 2.6mph and 1 min @ 11% at 3.1mph. Did that for 20 minutes with 5 min warm up & cool down. Felt easy to start out, especially the 2.6mph @ 10% howver as the time went on even that was some work. The weird thing was my inability to walk faster than 3.1mph @ 11% grade. I tried a few times to increase it but the pace was just too much. I enjoyed the workout however and will continue to add to it each time. Did you do this once a week?

BTW: You ability to go for 60mins at 15% grade at 4mph makes you a Warrior! I am in AWE!!!

I need to buy you this shirt!!
Quote Reply