Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience
Quote | Reply
I was fortunate enough to qualify for Kona at IMMT this year. Tremblant was my 7th IM (my 6th finish as in 2012 I did not run the marathon at MT due to an injury). I had an amazing day, and while it wasn't perfect; things came together and I got the first rolldown slot in F45-49 AG.
I will say 8 weeks was just not enough time for me to recover and prepare for another IM. I am also a RD for a very large event that took place in September. I found the ten days before Pumpkinman and the week after stressful and all consuming. In fact, many of my long rides (and runs) were done with my phone attached to my hip and I was texting myself messages at stop signs. To say I was distracted is an understatement.
I went to Kona ten days pre-race, took in everything, and had an unbelievable overall experience.
Here is a link to my blog if you are interested in reading about my adventures in Kona.
http://katdonatello.wordpress.com/category/triathlon/

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Mile 1 and mile 26 were glorious! The ones in the middle not so much.

LOL!!!!

Thanks for sharing, great report.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have an IMMT race report somewhere?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!! So, so impressive. Rest up and bask, you've earned it!.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Congrats. Truly impressive. I've always enjoyed your posts. Keep up the great work on both your own training and Pumpkinman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. I am sure you will be back. Good luck with next year, racing, and Rd'ing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report! Well done, I am dreaming of one day making it to Kona - awesome effort - enjoy recovery, ice cream, pizza, and all that good stuff :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A huge congrats!!!

I admire you long distance gals - the dedication to get to Kona is amazing!!![
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I loved reading about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice read! Thanks for sharing. Very cool that you are a "Betty" girl. Loved their suits.......almost as much as I loved the Wattie suits :)

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. It's amazing what a month's worth of perspective can do for you. I was pretty down on myself for a few weeks post race, but feeling a lot better now. I had read a few social media posts (after IM Florida) from some people I knew who had said, "I would never take a rolldown, I didn't earn it." Things like that hurt, because I had such trepidation about racing in Kona....was I worthy to be there? I feel better about having raced there, it by no means was a stellar performance for me, but I feel honored to have had the opportunity. Trust me, I will be busting my butt to get back there. REDEMPTION is a wonderful thing, and I've got some business to get done there (it might take a while, but I will be back)!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
Last edited by: giddy-up-n-go: Nov 12, 13 3:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had read a few social media posts (after IM Florida) from some people I knew who had said, "I would never take a rolldown, I didn't earn it."

I think that's something that's very easy to say when it's hypothetical and I wonder how many people actually follow through with it

Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I had read a few social media posts (after IM Florida) from some people I knew who had said, "I would never take a rolldown, I didn't earn it."

I think that's something that's very easy to say when it's hypothetical and I wonder how many people actually follow through with it

I was wondering the same thing. It smacks of people who are too involved in their own insecurities to applaud and acknowledge the achievements of others.

giddy-up, you earned your place on the starting line good and proper, it sounds like you had a great day and you look fantastic in the photos.

Of course you belonged there. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can flatly say that I would kill for a roll down spot to Kona. You have to be very fast and fit to EARN that roll down spot. Take pride in your accomplishments (and this is a big one), and leave mean people to their own devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, what a report! Fantastic effort and result. Congratulations!

I did not know what a Betty was until I saw the pics on your blog. Another WOW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to your race report - what a great day!

I don't know that I'll ever get to Kona unless I win a lottery spot or if magically no one else in my AG shows up on race day, so I love reading the experiences that others have at the big race. :)

Forward is a pace!
I get to represent Betty Designs for the 2014 season
http://www.bettydesigns.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. It smacks of people who are too involved in their own insecurities to applaud and acknowledge the achievements of others.

giddy-up, you earned your place on the starting line good and proper, it sounds like you had a great day and you look fantastic in the photos.

Of course you belonged there. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

EXACTLY!
Having had a spot roll down to 15th place one year (intervention from Madame Pele I am SURE), and seeing a room full of pros and super fast people be genuinely excited for me when it did roll that far, people who have the "I would never take a rolldown" attitude have issues and you can only feel sorry for them. You earned your place and did the race proud. Nice job! Wow, that short of a time frame does sound hard. Congratulations!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the light blue square on your shoulders at the top of your race number?

I cannot read it but it seems that most competitors are sporting one.
Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The numbers were done by TriTats this year vs. the historical "stamping." The blue square was the shimano logo. Absolutely everything was branded with something.

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giddy-up-n-go wrote:
The numbers were done by TriTats this year vs. the historical "stamping." The blue square was the shimano logo. Absolutely everything was branded with something.

Was it optional to wear the Shimano logo and only use your race number?
Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. We didn't apply them. Volunteers applied them the morning of the race.

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giddy-up-n-go wrote:
I don't think so. We didn't apply them. Volunteers applied them the morning of the race.

Thanks, that is very interesting to "brand" the participants with one of the sponsor logos. I have not seen that done before but you mentioned that everything had a logo/sponsor attached.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
giddy-up-n-go wrote:

Was it optional to wear the Shimano logo and only use your race number?

Having worked many years in reg/body marking in Kona, they are very particular about the numbering, so I'm guessing that no, the athletes had no choice in it. In the early years, we even had to practice writing the numbers (and be graded) before race morning!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I qualified for Kona at IMMT and my Kona race experience [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooh neat story!

But this is the first time I have seen age groupers "required" to wear an advertiser logo. Looking through other photos I do see that some of the Pros are not wearing them, especially those sponsored by SRAM. Just surprised at IM having age groupers advertise for one of the sponsors.
Quote Reply