Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sensor on a disc
Quote | Reply
A little help from the disc people out there.

How do you put a magnetic sensor on a disc?

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [hpwvale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I don't ride a disc, those bikes i've seen that do, have the sensor on the front wheel. (if you have two discs, i guess you are SOL)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A little help from the disc people out there.

How do you put a magnetic sensor on a disc?

Assuming you want to put the pickup on the disc itself -- use a very small, thin magnet and mount it with super glue. Same approach as for an H-3 tri-disc.

The type of magnet used to attract shower curtains to a metal shower stall works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use tubular glue. It holds extremely well, and if you want to remove the magnet, it will not damage the carbon like super glue will.
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [John3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea. If you say it holds well, then I'll take your word for it.

I would've been a bit worried about it doing so for any extended period of time... in its normal usage, tubular glue's adhesive properties are aided by both the forces on the wheel while riding and the 150 psi or so the inflated tire is itself exerting against the rim. That magnet had better be stuck on tight -- the rotational speed near the rim is pretty extreme.

FWIW, have moved magnet mounts a few times on my carbon disc, and have never noticed any damage from the superglue -- just a little residual coating that is easily shaved off...
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [alpedhuez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silicone adhesive also works really well, and won't leave any residue. I also put a piece of black electrical tape over mine once the silicone cured for a second layer of protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spinergy makes a stick on magnet for bladed wheels and discs, Nytro carries them
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [alpedhuez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super glue to a piece of black electrical tape, never a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a disc, but a Nimble Crosswind (which presents the same problem) I actually put the magnet on the hub (with tubular glue), and the sensor close to the hub. So far, it's been accurate, haven't lost the magnet, and doesn't interfere with the aerodynamic properties of the wheel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an Avocet 45tt that has a magnet 'ring' that mounts at the hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a plain round magnet (that you can get off the back of many refrigerator magnet things) and enough wide tape to make a teardrop shape out of the whole deal...probably doesn't do any good from an aerodynamic standpoint, but I try!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took one of the magnets that you use between two spokes. I broke the extra plastic piece off and then taped the magnet part to the hole for the valve stem. I used electrical tape and just made sure it was secure. I can still get to my valve stem and this way barely sticks out.

This was a last minute thing for me. I got my disk one day before a half IM and wanted a speed readout. I would like to change it so I could get to hte valve stem on either side.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I peeled the magnet out of the plastic thingamabob that mounts on the spokes and glued it to the disc with silicone adhesive. It has been there for 2 years now and I don't think it is coming off. Before I used the glue, I just taped it on with black duct tape. This worked fine too.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [JM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have on both my Corima and HED 3disk a magnet being held on by a piece of double sided foamtape cut to the same size as a flat round magnet. It holds real well and isnt bulky. If yyou need to remove it just pour some goo gone on the foamtape and it peels right off and does not damage the carbon.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Radio Shack sells (2 for $1.79) really small & very strong Rare Earth magnet. Its about half the size of a pencil eraser and very thin. I glue it on the inside of my cranks for use with cadence and the Polar pickup as well as with my computainer. It's held up for several seasons now. Being so strong it makes it easy to get the sensor pickup right without much fiddling. I even glued on to a regular spoke magnet I had already mounted on a race wheel that I couldn't get close enough to the sensor to pick up.

After reading that folks are using refrig magners etc had to post. Those are giants compared to this.
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where the heck do you guys place the sensor so that it is remotely near the magnet??? I have a Corima disk and although I don't see a problem glueing a magnet to it in the various manners proposed, I don't see how to get the senser within 1/4" of it. Too much space between seat and chain stays and the surface of the disk. Any ideas? What type of computers are you guys using?
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Polar Powermeter, and with a strong enough magnet, (like one that you would buy in radioshack) you dont need to be so close to the sensor b/c the sensor can still pick up the magnet b/c it is strong.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Sensor on a disc [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a Cateye Astrale, and I have no problem getting the sensor close enough to the magnet on my Renn disk. When I swap wheels I need to loosen the screw and move the sensor a little to get it closer to the disk since it's flat (and of course move it back afterwards so that it doesn't get eaten by the spokes on my training wheels), but other than that it hasn't been any problem at all.
Quote Reply