Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition
Quote | Reply
I know a lot of the womens - mistressk, nad, Tri3, AndyPants (?) were racing. HOW WAS IT?!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week are over 10k swim school got busy and I didn't get that much swimming but I am not too worried about it, use bike to commute to school at least a couple times (done this morning!) done and what an awesome way to get "free" cycling miles, run keep it under 45 miles (which I plan to do by keeping daily runs under an hour, take 1-2 days off, and do 1 long run) kind of sort of. I did take a day off from running and I kept 3 of the daily runs under an hour, and I did a long run.

M - 7.5 mi run (400, 800, 1200, 1600 @ 6:40 pace) + 1300 yd swim + some bike commute miles
T - 65 min. stairmaster + 1600 yd swim (5 x 100 fast 1:12s) + some bike commute miles
W - 12 mi run easy (1h49)
T - 8 mi run (5 x 1 mi @ 7:30, 7:26, 7:14, 7:04, 6:58)
F -2.26 mi run + 4000 yd swim (10 x 100 on 1:25 + 10 x 100 on 1:20) + some bike commute miles
S - 9 mi progressive run + some bike commute miles
S - 11 mi run + some bike commute miles

Totals: 6900 yd swim, 1h51 bike, just under 50 mi run, some stairmaster, hip/shoulder exercises twice, 3.5 mi walking.

Food went well, only 1 bad day. :-)
Goals for this week: 12-15k swim (bonus points if I hit 15k), bike commute a couple times (secretly hoping for more time on the bike than last week), keep daily runs to under an hour and do one long run.

The highlight of the week was the OSU vs Stanford swim meet... those girls are FAST.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 28, 13 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent week.
Got the run miles headed back up... only missed 1 planned run but that was perfectly OK. Had a fabulous long run with a friend.
Bike 3x was accomplished.
Swim 2x was accomplished.

This week - more of the same and stay sane. :-)

OH, and hear about everyone else's races and such! Woohoo!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 4 - WIN.
Bike x 1 - WIN.
Swim x 2 - FAIL with 1. Don't care.
Core/strength w/focus on mobility & stretching - WIN.
Keep nutrition in check; the cold weather is making me hungry! Eeh, more or less win.

This is how the 6-hour was:

It snowed for 3/4 of the race, and the mud above is actually one of the least-squelchy parts of the course. Despite that, I managed to stay upright, not freeze to death, and came within 1km of my PR (set on a day with perfect conditions 2 years ago). Not only that, I actually ran all of the uphills through the entire race that I'd never been able to manage past the 4-hour mark before (there are some other hills on the course that nobody runs, but there are 3 in particular on the 2.5km loop that I've ended up walking by the end of every other attempt I've made at this event). I've never felt stronger, and at the end I was passing people who got in much more distance than I did.

I've actually just finished my RR, which is here.

This week's goals:
Run x 2 (I want my annual Halloween run, and to run at a park near a friend's house where we'll be visiting this weekend)
Swim x 2
Bike x 1
Core/strength x 3
Foam roll x 1
Let damaged ankle heal
Try to stop eating everything in sight

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistressK, you always have the best photos and RR!

I had a GREAT week! Raced Beach2Battleship half on Saturday. Because my training was limited, I planned on the "scenic tour" pace. My goals were to stay out of the pain cave and finish with a smile on my face--WIN! In fact, my husband said he has never seen me smile so much or so big in a race before. Even managed to come in the top ten in my AG. I was holding back the entire race, and when I saw the finish line, I decided I could cut loose for the last quarter mile. What a blast. Negative split both the bike and the run.

PT checked me out today and all the body parts held up well. Now it's a week of recovery (40 minutes a day of light aerobic exercise and stretching), then next week I start the last part of my rehab, with a big focus on core and hip strength building.

B2B is a great independent race and I highly recommend it. I've done the full twice and now the half, and every time have left wanting to come back for another round.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much another bust for me. Got a nasty cold and only ran Tuesday and Wednesday. Back on track today.

Looks like everyone had successful races! Glad to hear the hard work over the summer paid off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am really happy you got to race. Nicely done. MistressK too!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great RR!! Loved it !

Good to hear about your race too, Tri3. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome pics. Great race report. Glad to hear that you did so amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job. I LOVE it when I can sit back and enjoy the race. I know I'm too wrapped up in time goals most of my races to have as much fun as you did. And you finished high in AG. B2B is on my bucket list. I've only heard good things about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like everyone but JenSW had a good week, and we know she'll bounce back this week :)

I ran the Marathon 2 marathon - obviously a marathon, in Marathon TX. That's out in west TX, basically in the middle of nowhere. Not a tree to be seen.
The course was rolling, with nothing drastic. I generally did well, but did not account for the fact that Austin is about 700 ft elevation, and this race was 5,000 ft. So I was huffing and puffing from mile one.
My goal was 3:25-3:30 range. I manage a 3:32. I'm ok w/ that due to elevation. I was second overall female - not bad for turning 49 yo earlier this month.
I had fun, no stomach troubles (which usually plague me), and I'm not too sore.

This week is recovery week. I want to concentrate on swimming for at least Nov, and hopefully into Dec.
Goals for this week.
Swim at least 4 times - hope to get over 10K
Bike 2-3 times
Run only if I feel like I want to.

Happy training everyone!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 28 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was second overall female - not bad for turning 49 yo earlier this month.

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!! Congratulations! You must have been (must be) stoked. Any prizes?

I am so glad you chimed in; I've been thinking of you since Saturday.

How hot was it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyone's kind words - I'm a little embarrassed that so many people read the RR before I had a chance to do a bit of editing! Reading through it last night made it totally clear I wrote it while still fog-brained.

Glad you enjoyed the race, Tri3 - I love those ones where you can just have fun and maybe surprise yourself!

Way to kick ass, nad!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Mistress K - way to go!!!! Sounds like an epic race and i love your running skirt!

Tri3 - I am so happy to hear that you are on the way back! Congrats on your finish!

My week - busy helping my seniors with essays for college apps, finishing up letters of rec and trying to defuse the tension with this whole college app process. It is such a game and I could go on such a rant about the torture these kids go through to apply/get into college. It's a different kind of race for sure!

Goals last week:
Ride 3x - only 2x - weather was not cooperative and I refuse to get on the trainer until Dec 1
Run 5x - done! Including a tempo run at a PB - now if I could just run off the bike that fast!
Swim 3x - done including a nasty pyramid set dreamed up by our new masters coach that had us practicing for surges in open water. First time I ever felt like dying in the pool - but I suppose that is a good thing. After two months of working with him, I am hitting sendoff times that I never thought I could make so he has us on the right track!
Strength 1x - nope - need to get after this!

Goals this week:
Ride 3x - one EZ, one tempo, one long
Run 4x - mostly EZ w/one long and one tempo
Masters swim 3x
Strength - 1x
And finish all of my letters of rec by Nov 1!!!!
Resist the urge to eat too many reeses peanut butter cups on Halloween

Happy training to all the womens!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks TC. That means a lot

Not too bad. Singlet weather for sure, but I did not feel heat was the factor that held me back. 50 at start, getting up toward 70 at finish - but I'd been running in Austin all summer and that never gets below 80 even at 4 a.m. And it was dry there. Much more humid in Austin. So weather was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you feeling a couple days post-race?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My legs are actually almost back to normal. I did have 2 days of quad soreness, but nothing severe. I'm still going to take the full week off running.

I have been channeling my inner TC, and have been swimming a lot (for me). I want to do a swim heavy concentration from now until the end of the year. I'd like to swim 4-5 x week. I'll have a lot of questions for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're feeling well - I hope you are enjoying a post race glow - and ask away!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced the Provincial XC championship last Sat with Khai, we both ended 4th in our AGs, but hey it was fun. :-) Can't always get hardware right? Skated hard on Sat afternoon, then did a big day hike with P and the dawg on Sunday. I was just knackered by Sunday eve.

This week: It's the regional Bike to Work Week so I want to ride 4 days, and skate at least once. Maybe run a bit if I feel like it, but I am having real trouble sleeping well, and work stress is high right now. So not committing to anything more at this point. Next XC race is on the 11th, but I may be flying to Atlanta to deal with a customer.

I think I have to find a way to break the current stress-cycle I am in. I am not managing my stress well. What I could really use is a solo long-weekend in the middle of nowhere. Sigh.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply