Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman CDA Bike Course??
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the Couer d'Alene area, more importantly, familiar with the Bike Course. I have raced both Ironman California and Ironman Wisconsin, any comparisons and or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA Bike Course?? [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing CdA and have lived in the area almost 30 years, but I haven't biked that exact course yet, and probably won't until April when the daylight and temperture allows it. BUT...here is the general lowdown. Leaving transition to the turnaround on CdA Lake Dr. is generally flat, and fairly scenic along the lake. The turnaround isn't marked well on their website, but I strongly suspect you'll climb one short but steep hill that is about 6-7 miles out from T1, then drop down it to the turnaround. After the turnaround, back up and over the hill, then through some neighborhood streets and main roads (this is the portion of the map showing Seltice Way until the Centennial Trail). Traffic on the main roads won't be bad...these aren't the road with WalMart/Target, etc, but more like main throughfares and fairly wide neighborhood streets. All of this will be essentially flat with a few small rollers.

Once on the Centennial Trial, I am somewhat concerned about congestion. The trail is 10-12 feet wide and for 2 miles there will be out and back traffic on that. Passing might be restricted during that time. Then, it is onto Riverview Drive and US95, back to CdA for Lap 2. This potion is where the hills will be, but I'm actually not sure what the are like back there as I haven't ridden there before. Hopefully someone else can fill in that part of the story. My general impression, just knowing the area, is that there will be rollers with one or two climbs of several hundred feet, but no killer climbs.

Typically, this time of year, wind is not an issue. Our winters can get long, but June through August are typically beautiful. Temperature should be in the 80's, although there is the potential to hit 100. 2 years ago it was 99 on the 4th of July. Rain is very unlikely.

You might try re-posting this in April and I will hopefully have riddent the course by then.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by puskas [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman CDA Bike Course?? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to put out bad info and had no workout scheduled for lunch today, so I drove the Riverview Drive portion of the bike. I can't believe I've lived here this long and never been on that road!! It is going to be a sweet bike leg! The road is primarily old chip seal that has been worn pretty smooth and is in good shape with very few rough spots. But, the Riverview portion is hillier than I would've expected. For about 15 miles of it, you're either going up or down....very little flat stuff. Lots of twists and turns and there should be some shade provided. The hills aren't killer steep for the most part, but a few short ones will be quad burners.

The run is flat, flat, flat....and if you're overheating, you'll be able to jump into the lake at a lot of points along the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA Bike Course?? [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THanks for driving the road and getting the great info Colin. I'm doing CDA and have been very curious about how it would look.

Barry Kundert
Quote Reply