Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? October 7 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone had a good one.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow TC, you're up early!

Past week - 4 weeks from goal marathon
running 64.5 miles, w/ long run of 24 miles
Bike x 2
Swim x 2.
Good week, but still not a lot of quality work on the running. It's just been too hot (TX). This will be an ok marathon, and will get my BQ (hopefully) out of the way for 2015. I'll try for more quality in my Boston training this winter.

Next week - 3 weeks, and last semi hard week before marathon
I want to run 50-60 miles, some at MP. Long run will hopefully be 20 miler, w/ last 10 at MP.
Bike 1-2 times
Swim 2-3 times.
THEN TAPER !!!!

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 3 - WIN.
Bike x 1 - WIN.
Swim x 2 - WIN.
Core/strength x 4 w/focus on mobility & stretching - WIN.

So the 50k went...ok. I was actually having fun through the first 3 loops - not so much on the 4th. I did, however, find myself a running buddy for almost all of that final lap and it really is true that misery loves company! I finished a little stronger than I would have expected (considering how much it hurt even to walk), not far off of my stretch time goal (would have liked 6hrs - made it just under 6:08), and only have a couple of blisters on top of the fully expected leg soreness to deal with. Not bad for wearing a pair of shoes I bought the night before and wearing a race vest I bought at the expo that morning! Also, there's this hill to deal with on each loop:

I'm pretty sure the backpacking was good training.

This week's goals:
Run x 3
Swim x 4
Bike x 2
Core/strength x 4
Canoe x 1

Probably just walking tonight - will see how the legs feel. There's a 6-hour on the 26th that I'd like to do, so I need to take recovery pretty carefully.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week:
Swim x 4 (got 2)
Bike x 5 (got 4)
PT x 14 (got 10)

I didn't accomplish everything I had wanted to last week, which was really disappointing. I'm really struggling with work stress and training stress and while I was finally starting to feel better in the pool and on my bike I really need to watch my energy levels. My "stress bucket" is full right now as my work has picked up with the "holiday season" and I ended up getting home too late to get a workout in a few nights.

I think being sick twice last month really just took the wind out of my sails. I just need to get a handle on the fatigue. If I was tired I let myself sleep in. I never do that.

I spoke w/ coach about it and this cycle I am in light, light training. Hopefully two weeks of that and I will feel like my old self again. That self can do anything on 5 hours sleep.

I also had the longest bike fit ever on Sat. It was amazing, but exhausting. I was there for over 6 hours as the guy didn't like my insoles, shoes, cleat placement, pedal choice, and only after he fixed all of they would I get on the fit bike. But on my road bike the new setup feels really solid, and I can start tri bike shopping in the next couple of months. Squeeeee! :-)

This week:
Swim x 3
Bike x 3
Run x 3
PT x 14
Nap x 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week. I had a light week as I was doing a one week or so taper for my half marathon on Saturday. Saturday morning got to wake up to lightning and thunder. But, as we drove to the race site, it got better, and was only a light rain when we arrived... which continued to lighten until it was misting near the end of the race.
Race went well. Garmin and I spent 9.5-10 quality miles together sticking to my proposed target pace. I found a run buddy and we hung together for 9 or so. It was nice to talk a little during the race, definitely made things more interesting. I was astounded to be talking at the pace we were running at though! AND EXCITED. He was doing 20mi that day so he had already ran 4mi before the start. So he faded. When he faded was when it was just getting a tad more difficult for me. Around 10 I decided to pick up the pace a bit. It worked nicely and I started averaging maybe 30 sec per mile faster. The last half mile I definitely started to feel it. But I finished and smashed my old PR by somewhere around 15 minutes! I was thrilled.
CX race on Sunday. Got off to a great start but faded, legs feeling the race from Saturday, which I knew. It also got muddy and slick, which I'm not great in... But I managed to get 5th, I had thought I was 6th but a lady in front of me DNF-ed (crashed out).

This week: recover a bit, get back to good training, another likely CX race on Saturday. WOOHOO!!! Loving life right now.
About a month in on the new job and loving it, though the commute is long it isn't traffick-y.

Misstressk - congrats on the 50k! That's awesome. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually get up at 5 so I can be at the gym at 6. I am such a morning person!

Quote:
Now I am back at school... goals for this week are 4-5 swims (2 done), 1-2 rides, 5-6 runs (2 done).
Swims, runs done. Did not get on bike :P

M - 8 mi run + 1000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 1000 yd swim
W - 8 mi run
T - 8 mi run + 2500 yd swim
F - 11 mi run + 1600 yd swim
S - 1:45 stairmaster + 3000 yd swim
S - 12 mi run + lift

totals: 9100 yd swim, 55 mi run, 2.2 miles walking, some 'other'

Food is going ok. Not perfect but better than usual. Might write more about that later, mostly kind of frustrated with self for snacking at night when not hungry. This will be less of a problem when the ice cream and toaster strudels in the freezer are finished (my dad left them from his visit last week).
Goals this week are to GET ON BIKE, run 40 miles (not more!), swim ~10k. Trying to get mile swim time back under 20 minutes.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running has been really strong these last couple weeks. I'm making huge progress. I'm maintaining paces I haven't seen in a very long time. That came to a halt on Sunday though. Rough time at work and I got a bit of an anxiety attack Sunday driving home from my brother's after the Seahawks game. I had planned to stop and do my run on the way home but I couldn't get out of the car. When I got back to my apartment I just hunkered down. I'd been thinking I'd run from there but even the idea of leaving the apt got me worked up so I skipped it. I'm going to get it in after work today. I'm feeling a bit better. Sometimes running helps but sometimes just leaving the house is a challenge. Since I'm already at my office I can leave from here for my run. Once I get home I don't want to leave. It's really frustrating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Running has been really strong these last couple weeks. I'm making huge progress. I'm maintaining paces I haven't seen in a very long time. That came to a halt on Sunday though. Rough time at work and I got a bit of an anxiety attack Sunday driving home from my brother's after the Seahawks game. I had planned to stop and do my run on the way home but I couldn't get out of the car. When I got back to my apartment I just hunkered down. I'd been thinking I'd run from there but even the idea of leaving the apt got me worked up so I skipped it. I'm going to get it in after work today. I'm feeling a bit better. Sometimes running helps but sometimes just leaving the house is a challenge. Since I'm already at my office I can leave from here for my run. Once I get home I don't want to leave. It's really frustrating.

This happens to me pretty much every day. I still have a phobia about running or riding here by myself. Never happened in SF.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was really frustrating because I would have been on a trail I've run more times than I can count. Brain chemistry just gets out of alignment occasionally. Any sign that my job isn't stable is what sets it off for me. Every time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good week. Started short track speedskating and am loving it (2 sessions/week). First meet is at end of Nov :-). I also raced my first XC race in a long time, managed to come in 2nd Master Female. It sure hurt and I was a lot slower than I was on that same course ~10 years ago. But it was fantastic. Spent Sunday out in the warm fall sun hiking with P and the dog for a few hours around a local lake that has some killer hills. Felt a lot stronger than when I hiked the easier trails at the same lake a month ago.

We also decided to pull the plug on our small biz idea. It wasn't going where we wanted it to, and none of us (4 partners) were willing to take it further. So we divvied up assets and cash and will wind it up. It was a fun experience, and no one's feelings got hurt, so what the hey.

This week - SS X2, running X3, bike X3. Will spend Thanksgiving in the Okanagan so hoping for good trail running weather! Next XC race is in 2 weeks!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad ass, chica! What was with new shoes for the race? That would be a death sentence for me.

I had a nice easy recovery week (was sore as f*** after the 50k bike ride - my neck/shoulders did not like being in aero for so long).
2 "runs" and have been cutting back on the booze. Still between projects, so going a bit bonkers without structure to my days, but I've started forcing my husband to take the car when I know I won't have to go into the office to force myself to bike for errands. I like bopping around on my little cheesy mtn bike, and it takes me a little under 20 min to get to my regular lunch place, so it's not a "nothing" ride.

I have been wanting to try Hokas for a long time and really liked my test run on them... but the store also had the new version of my Asics (that I've been running in since last Oct) and they happened to be in my fave colors EVAR. Having gotten a surprise raise at work recently, I had a "why not both!?" moment...
I'm not consistent with what colors I like. Nope. Not at all.

This week's goals: at least 3 more workouts.

My tri team is having a Kona viewing party on Sat, so that will be motivational - our coach and one teammate are competing. I'm following that by going to a rock concert, so I'll try and dance off a few calories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks determination & Agilecipher!

Agilecipher wrote:
What was with new shoes for the race? That would be a death sentence for me.

My favourite pair of trail shoes (New Balance WT100 from 2010) has almost 500 miles on them and were never very cushioned to begin with - I'd only use them for soft trails now. The pair I got last year (New Balance WT1010; barefoot-type shoes) have almost no cushion at all, only have a 4mm drop (whereas I've been running with 8-10mm drop shoes since spring), plus I've never been a huge fan of them - they're ok for running on snow, but otherwise meh. Since I knew this race has a fair bit of paved campground road on the course I needed something that wasn't going to beat me up, and I know that New Balance tends to make shoes that fit my wide-ass feet. I'd also used the shoefitr tool through Running Warehouse's website to investigate the fit compared to my favoured trainers (Brooks Launch), and they seemed like a pretty close match. It was a gamble, but I had pretty good odds.

I certainly don't recommend running ultras - or any other race, for that matter - in shoes you've just met, though!

I wrote my usual verbose race report, and added a ridiculous number of photos; if you think your brain & bandwidth can handle it, you can read it here.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last weeks goals were
2 swims - done
3 rides (including a VO2 max test) - done
2 runs - done, sort of
1 strength- fail

Last week was so-so. I had a horrible horrible run on Saturday. It wasn't done in ideal conditions as I coached a workout in the am which involved me riding my mtn bike for 2.5 hours and had breakfast with the athletes before starting my run. I got started at about noon or so and about 20 minutes in, I ran into a friend who I stopped and chatted with for about 45 minutes. When I tried to start again everything was off. I was hot. My HR did not match my pace and excuting the workout at the prescribed paces was not happening. I managed to get in 9.5 of the 15 miles I should have done (the dangers of 9.5 mile loop that takes you right by your car). When I finished I checked the weather and it was 85 with a zillion % humidity. I guess that explains why it was hot.

I am also being horrible about my strength. If I am going to miss a workout, its going to be a strength workout.

This week's goals are
2 swims
3 rides
3 runs
1 strength

Congrats to everyone on a great week!! AP- I am very jealous of your speed skating. And MK- looks like you got bit by the ultra bug. Be careful, the other runners will quickly brainwash you :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh, very thorough story-telling, and I love all the pics! Looks like a gorgeous route, and you look amazing. Lots of good lessons (I have notes about places I need to bodyglide) and I made the same mistake with my 50k ride of leaving my rings on. I feel super-weird without them, but I hate the "what if" and I swell like you do. After the ride, I was taking a shower and thought "hrm, my legs look so dark. I must have gotten some grease on them. Oh wait. That's every single vein in my legs completely pushed out. Ew." The effect was unpleasant and I was overjoyed to squeeze into my new compression socks.

Also, I think the shoes are cute. The orangey bottom matched the rest of your outfit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words! I don't generally get the fat fingers when riding - just long-duration running, or when I happen to snap a bone during a race.

You would actually like the shoes, based on your earlier post - the soles are flaming pink, like those Asics (New Balance calls it "diva pink"). Unfortunately, it's my most hated colour. Wish I'd been able to get the grey/purple ones locally, but at least it's just the soles so I don't have to look at it much, and being trail shoes they're likely to get coated in mud!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Haha instigator, this was actually my 4th ultra - have done a 6-hour every October since 2010. Fortunately my ultrarunner friends know better than to try to convince me to give up cycling and swimming!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Hello ladies,

I took a breather from posting for awhile. It just seemed like all I had to say was focused on pain, injuries and illness.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'm doing a bit better. Had some neurological complications that really set me back. Took a while to figure out what was going on, but now we're on the right track.

So I'm two and a half weeks out from a HIM (was supposed to be IM, but dropped down to the shorter distance). I haven't been to a pool in weeks, at best I get two bikes a week, and I can't go 12 miles jogging without doing a run/walk thing, so the HIM is going to be more like a century ride than a race. Only shorter. And with three sports.

And it will be a blast to be back at a race! I'm starting to get excited.

Ambitious goals for this week are: five runs, three bikes and two swims. And strength and stretching x 5.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is quite the hill!

Determination, a 15 min PR is astounding. Congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best part is what you find waiting for you at the top of the hill:

(He's actually wearing running shoes, too)

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
You have the best pics! Great RR too.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 7 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! The scary part is that's actually the result of me trying to keep my RR short and to the point..

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thanks, TC! I was THRILLED. I feel like a completely different person now that I have what had probably been life-long anemia issues resolved. Oh, and I got a tad more lean.
I honestly had only some idea what pace to shoot for, and I used my Garmin to hold that proposed pace, +/- 10 sec per mile. I also think that it helped that I found another runner who was trying to run the same pace so we ran together until he faded (he was doing 20 miles that day, had already run 4 before the half).

I could likely use more help in trying to figure out race paces to shoot for. In the half, I was talking a bit to the guy I was running with, and I was very comfortable. At one point I thought, gee, I could run all day at this speed.

In all, it's probably a good thing I struggled for so long before correcting the anemia. I am so grateful and thankful for the results I'm getting these days and don't take it for granted.

Mistressk - LOVE the skeleton photo!!! So hilarious!
Quote Reply