Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bathroom étiquette
Quote | Reply
I was stumped last night in the women's bathroom at the pool -- and wonder what others here might have done . . .

A young woman retched hard three times in a stall down the row. I believe I saw her in the changing room just before -- young, in fine shape, in no visible distress.

I wanted to ask if she was ok. But I didn't, because something suggested she might be bulimic, and in that case wouldn't want the attention.

I've never encountered this before and now feel guilty. Should I have asked anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: bathroom étiquette [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have, only because as a former Occupational First Aid Attendant, I've seen some weird shit happen, and happen quickly, so it's my instinct to check on people. Had a similar situation in our pool change room a few years ago, and it was clear from her face as she left the toilet area that she was close to passing out - who knows what brought it on. Once I spotted that face, I knew she needed help. Might not have been the same in your situation of course, so it might have been awkward for you both.

But that's me. I am a nosy parker. :-) And I am always awkward.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: bathroom étiquette [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I would have, only because as a former Occupational First Aid Attendant, I've seen some weird shit happen, and happen quickly, so it's my instinct to check on people. Had a similar situation in our pool change room a few years ago, and it was clear from her face as she left the toilet area that she was close to passing out - who knows what brought it on. Once I spotted that face, I knew she needed help. Might not have been the same in your situation of course, so it might have been awkward for you both.

But that's me. I am a nosy parker. :-) And I am always awkward.

AP

X2.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: bathroom étiquette [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would probably ask. I don't know about the psychology behind bulimia but it doesn't seem to me like purging is something they would do in a public toilet so I'd assume she was sick.

Of course, I know nothing and really just want to be sure she is OK regardless of why she was barfing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ask - I've had some weird pool experiences where I was fine when I got in, but I started feeling odd and by the time I got out, felt absolutely terrible. I'd rather take the chance on some awkwardness or embarrassment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the responses. Hopefully there will not be a next time to follow your kind and caring advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would have asked, My sister was bulimic and they are very good at hiding it. One time i followed her into the public toilet looking to catch her but I didn't hear a thing. If they were bulimic they know how to do it without a sound. and retching three times loudly does not fit that caregory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until I discovered ear plugs- lap swimming left me dry heaving after pool workouts. Blech.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have asked. If she didn't respond, I personally wouldn't have done anything drastic like look over the stall, rather go and tell a lifeguard and let them deal with it from there.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: bathroom étiquette [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suffered from bulimia a number of years ago. I shouldn't be proud of it but i was a "silent" bulimic; however, if someone had heard me in a stall and asked me if I was okay, I would not have been offended, I would have felt happy they cared about me. I would have told them I was fine though. If it was something else and she happened to be sick, she may have wanted help, maybe water brought to her. I think its totally fine to ask if someone needs help!
Quote Reply