Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

leg length proportions
Quote | Reply
Hey, help me out here. I always "thought" I had long femurs relative to my overall leg length . . . until I actually performed some measurements. My inseam is 34" and my measurement from the floor to the top of my femur per Yaqui's measuring method is 40". My leg is exactly proportionate, 20" for the upper and lower. Given all this, I am 5'11" , long arms and a runner. What sort of proportion qualifies one as long femured.

I had a steep bike before (78-80*) and sold it as I thought I needed a slacker angle as I never have the luxury of a flat TT and since I always thought I had long femurs. Mostly rolling with a few decent short climbs is the norm. Now, I'm thinking that maybe I didn't give it a chance. I never felt real good on it but still managed average decent speed on sprint/oly distances. Usually in the 25-27mph range depending on course.

I ride my rode bikes in approx 74-75* and can climb well and TT well on them also. I've never put aerobars on them but suspect I could ride nearly as fast as I was on the steep bike. Running might suffer though. I set up all my road bikes as the following. My bike used to measure for the others has a 57.2 TT w/ 110mm stem, top of seat to pedal spindle with crank arm in line with seat tube is 38". reach is 18" from seat tip to center of steerer tube. drop from seat to bars is 4.5". This is a fit I've developed over the years and stick with it. Works to go fast or ride 100 miles.

Since my wife (uh, we) just bought a house I have some wiggle room for a new bike. I'm considering going with a Yaqui for the fitting expertise. I've also shot a note out toe Tom Teesdale and also am thinking about Elite. For standard fits, my local shop gives me employee pricing, or close to it, on everything and they sell Felt and Orbea as the primary TT frames. However, they are not real keen on the fitting issue. The complete B2 is tempting, but as I already have tri kit down to tri spokes don't really need the complete bike so a frame would do also. Main bikes from the shop frame wise are the DA700, B2 and Orbea chrono (all 76* bikes). I can get the complete B2 for 3100, the frames (B2 and chrono) at ~1100 but the chrono is sans fork. Not sure on the DA700. I think the Yaqui and Elite will run about the same with ouzo fork, where it appears the Teesdale bike will be around 900 sans fork. I don't know why I list prices as they are all relatively close in the big scheme of things.
Quote Reply
Re: leg length proportions [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really have a 6" difference between your femur height and your inseam? You might want to look at that one more time, or talk to Ves and get his opinion on it. I am 6' tall and my inseam is 34" and my ground to femur was 36". Did you follow the instructions on the "How to do this" link on the fitting page.
Quote Reply