Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy is sh*t
Quote | Reply
(Edited title to hopefully get more reponses)

Due to various factors, not including the rants on this forum, I've decided to become a Campy guy.

Splashed out on an expensive frame equipped with cheapish Tagra/105/Ultegra mix with the intention to upgrade when my results dictated. Anyhow, I have been handing asses, spanking red-headed/lefthanded stepchildren, dropping bags of hammers and giving out first class tickets to bitch school left, right and centre and am ready to make the change.

I know there is some cross-compatability between Shimano and Campy 9s. I'm looking at getting some reduced price '03 Record9s. What would be my best plan of action in order to upgrade things in stages? I don't want to buy a whole gruppo at once. Rather, I'd like to start with shifters and a derailleur, stick them on myself (which may take a while), then add bits and pieces as and when.

Is this stage by stage approach do-able so that I can still ride while contemplating the next upgrade or am I dreaming?

Any tips or ideas for logical stages to progress by would be simply spiffing.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Last edited by: GBJ: Oct 3, 03 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Transformer [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have Shimano 9 now and are happy sticking with 9 speed, you can get by with just buying a set of Ergo 10 levers (yes I do mean 10). Check the link below for details.

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

The best part is that when you decide to make the plunge to 10 speed you will not have to buy new levers.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy is sh*t [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump up

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy is sh*t [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is definately something nicer about having bicycle parts that are hand made by good looking nice young Italian men who call their mothers every night than having something that is machine stamped in Taiwan. Good choice. Maybe I should do the same thing to my three ShimaNO equipped bikes.

But to answer your questions, perhaps you should post on the newsgroup rec.bicycles.tech. There are a lot of Campy affectionatos there. Usually when you ask tri-geeks about Campy a typical response is likely "Campy who?".
Quote Reply
Re: Campy is sh*t [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The campy v. shimano debate always leads to fairly passionate arguments here. Thought some of the campy guys might help me in getting over to/away from the dark side.

Might just upgrade to ShimaNO DurACHE instead, get some clinchers and fit an integrated headset.

Will try posting around some other forums if nothing turns up here. Record9ti, where are you?

Quote Reply
Re: Campy is sh*t [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: "There is definately something nicer about having bicycle parts that are hand made by good looking nice young Italian men who call their mothers every night than having something that is machine stamped in Taiwan."

-----------------------------------------

LOL. I can picture it now- beautiful Italian men with their long, flowing black hair sipping espresso and hand-carving a brake caliper out of billet alumimum in their rustic workshop in Tuscany. Sure, sure. I have news for you. The machine that's stamping or machining the parts for both Shimano and Campy is probably a Taiwanese made machine. Whether it's stamping/grinding away in Italy or Japan or Taiwan or Romania really doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy is sh*t [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with the 9 speed lever as I bet that is the one that you will get the sweet discount on. Then, if you swap up to 10 speed you can buy a $15.00 part and put the 10 speed cog thingie in your 9 speed lever and you are golden.

That display on the site about the tandems...though it may have worked, it was not pretty and I dont think that the stoker on that tandem will like it - if and when that cable decides that rather than pull straight back and shift..it rotates out and chunks the chain about a bit. I am quite curious why the person on that tandem didnt just get Campy 9 speed levers and do it "more right". Or get the Wheels Mfg cogs and run a 10....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply