Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BIG Turnover
Quote | Reply
In the last rwo years I have reassociated myself with the triathlon scene in Southern Ontario - albeit this time, mostly from the sidelines. I was involved in the first wave of popularity of the sport back in the early and mid-80's. It was a fun time. It was all so new and fresh. We just threw ourselves at the training and racing and somehow figured it all out. We ran with runners, cycled with roadies and swam with masters swim groups( or tried to in my case - once a stone in the water always a stine in the water!) Race numbers grew quickly going from 100 to 200 to 300+ rather quickly, but the sport was still small enough that everyone knew everyone else.

In 1986 Graham Fraser put on the first TriSport race and the sport in the area took a huge leap forward in terms of the qualiity and quantity of events that were within an hour or so drive of Toronto. Graham's brother Mitch took over the series a few years ago.

In the early 90's I moved to Vancouver and was out of the Ontario loop for 10 years. I moved back a couple of years ago and by that time had semi retired from serious training/racing. However, via my girlfriend's involvment in the sport, I have been back to a number of the old TriSport race venues and I am pleased to say that the participation numbers are outstanding. But, there has been a BIG turnover. Other than the odd soul, I recognize no one at these races. At a recent TriSport event with close to 1500 entries I met and saw exactly 3 people that I knew from days gone by and one of those was Mitch Fraser. None of the orginal pioneers seem to be in it any more and many people when questioned at events this year seem to be "new" to the sport.

This has to be good news for the sport over all as it moves forward, but what happened to the dedicated folks from years gone by? And how long will the current crop stay in the game?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: BIG Turnover [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, you need to come up to Ottawa and check out some of the races here. Lots of the guys who were age group and even pro winners in the 80's are still sitting on the top of the podium. Back then, they raced 20-24, 25-29, 30-34. Now the same crew has just shifted over to the podiums of 35-39, 40-44, 45-49. Yes, and some of the old studly local pros who spent their summers racing in France and making enough money to pay for their university tuition are back racing age group in the "age groups" that I have described above. What is interesting that those who joined the sport in the mid 90's seem to have come and gone. We have lots of <5 year local participants and lots of >10 year folks. As Slowman suggests, they will likely be back 20 lbs and several inches around the waistline later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't be surprised at a turnover. This applies to a lot of hobbies/interests. In fact, I would think perhaps even more so with triathlon because of the ongoing training commitment required. Some people drop out for awhile and return while many others never do. Sometimes things like jobs, family commitments, etc. just get in the way. Sometimes a goal may be met (completion of IM, etc) and the person now wants to look elsewhere for a new challenge. Also interests can change over time. If I'm surprised at anything, as I mentioned in another post, is that there actually are people that stick with tri for fifteen or twenty years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only question you need to be asking is this one: "why am I on the sidelines?" That's not a trick question Fleck.

Nobody cares that you were an early pioneer we/they are a dime a dozen.

I was awol from the sport for 10 years because my knees would not allow me to run, I found out about glucosamine and now I can run somewhat and I'm back and love every moment of my training.

Don't be a dried up has been, get out there and kick some butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is definitly going to be a big upsurgence of triathlon in ontario and canada for that matter in the next few years. There are lots of young amazing triathletes that are starting to make a mark on the sport. At our championships last year (university multisport series) there were some very impressive athletes there, represented from all around ontario. As well, i am from alberta, and return there in the summer time, and there are some very good athletes out west as well.

I think that as the older group rejoins the sport, there will also be a large boost from many many younger members. (our team this year has grown by 30 members).

Looking forward to the fun!

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: BIG Turnover [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sport is going to continue to grow. My boy age 6 and 9 did Kids of Steel in Windsor this summer and I think there was something like 300 kids between ages 5 and 16, a huge event and loads of fun. Mr. Whitfield aka Olympic Champion started in this series not that many years ago also.
Quote Reply
Re: BIG Turnover [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy's on the money. I typically have a lifespan of 3-5 years in my various obsessions. (Dan's article on climbers addresses this nicely.)

I have hot-rodded, fenced, rock-climbed, been an on-again, off again college student, sat on the couch with beer, and a few other things.

The reasons I move on? Burnout, loss of interest, other commitments... Life is about experience, and variety, as they say, is the spice of life. Doing lots of different things is what keeps you interested and excited about life. You find something new, you enjoy it for a while, you get good at it, and one day it isn't what it used to be, so you try something else.

I have seen this with lots of other people too. Most of the group I used to fence with no longer fence, the guy who turned me on the triathlon is now back in school, and this one couple I know spent about $10,000 on tri gear last year and did ONE sprint before deciding that tri was just too much work.

So for me, I hope to stay with it for a long, long time. But I have to admit that after 3 years of training, and one year of racing, the long hours, getting up at 4 to go swim, and the constant soreness do wear at me. And if I decide to get my Master's degree, well, the 15 hour weeks just aren't going to happen.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: BIG Turnover [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why am I on the sidelines? In no special order of importance:

- I am supporting assisting my girlfriend become the best triathlete that she can be

- I am doing a bit of volunteer work at some of the events

- I am looking after my son while my girlfrined races and doing the 1K kids run at some of the events with him

- I have a very bad back( herniated disc) and can't run or swim right now - can cycle a bit.

- I trained/raced a great deal for 20+ years and now am quite happy to be on the sidelines

- I have learned a great deal about the sport, about training, about people from observing from the sidlines - much more so than when I was participating

I hope this answers your questions

As for your pioneer comments, I feel quite proud of the fact that I was involved in the sport from the very earliest days in my area. I am even prouder now that I have returned and seen the level of enthusiasm and participation in the sport at all levels.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"- I have learned a great deal about the sport, about training, about people from observing from the sidlines - much more so than when I was participating"

That's a good comment. Sometimes you can get so involved in something that you can't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes it's best to pull back and just observe for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is interesting that we hardly ever see any of the old faces at the races that we used to see 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Steve and I ran high school track against each other 25 years ago and knew each other then. We were both above average runners and did well, but we always had some very gifted athletes ahead of us. Some of these gifted included a guy that ran a 13:50 5km as a 17 year old. Did he turn out to be Canada's next great runner, no, I don't think he even made it out of the college ranks and had quit running. Too much too soon? Who knows. Same with triathlon. I've seen some very gifted athletes that were good at the sport but just didn't have the desire to keep at something that was very time demanding and hard. Everyone talks of other things getting in the way, but the bottom line is that if it is something that you truely love, you can make time to at least stay somewhat active within the sport. You may have to alter expectations but if it is something you really enjoy, who cares. If it is something that becomes a chore to do each day, then that person is more likely to drop from the sport when the times get tough.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply