Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which is more accurate - Garmin or track? [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trippertim wrote:
I now use the foot pod with the garmin when I run on the track. It has been pretty accurate for me. I did a 21,100 meter run on the track last year (I was injured and sticking to rubber) and the foot pod measured at ±0.5% accuracy compared to how many laps I did on the track. When I use it for shorter speed workouts, it lets me go back and look at if I was able to maintain a steady cadence and pace throughout the laps or if I was able to accelerate in the intervals or fell apart half way through, even if the distance wasn't perfect, it is still more consistent than the GPS. My results will show that doesn't actually make me any faster, I just like looking at it ;-)

I've found that my footpod isn't that accurate with big swings of pace. I've set it up on two different occasions running around a 7 min mile, but once I get below six it's off by a bit. I don't even bother with using it for distance or speed now, just cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is more accurate - Garmin or track? [Nick C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick wrote:
2. I'm fairly confident that it was certified, but even if not I still think the problem is with my FR210 (or more likely, me). I didn't give it enough time to get a good solid fix before starting, and there was a fair degree of tree cover near the turns, so it wasn't as good as it could've been. I noticed a similar problem on my daily runs; if it has a good initial lock, then I get data consistent with my other runs. Otherwise, it'll be a little wonky and cut the turns short even if it's a few miles into the run.

If it is certified you will find it here, http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/search/

If you can't find it here then it is not certified and its accuracy is questionable

Fwiw, I've never had a certified course come up short on my GPS. They are always about 1-2% long
Quote Reply
Re: Which is more accurate - Garmin or track? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Track >> Garmin, so long as you run the marked official distances per lap, usually the marked inside lane is most accurate. (1 full lap done on the inner lap of a track vs 1 full outer lap track will be pretty different length distances if you don't use the staggered start lines that equalize the distances.)

The curves really screw the Garmin, and because there are so darn many turns on even on a measly one mile track run (8 turns, typically), a tiny GPS error quickly multiples to become a very significant error. On a straight out and back course with good signal, my Garmin is 99% accurate and reproducible. On a track with same good GPS quality, it's not unusual for me to see 10% distance variation, and you can look at the GPS traces which show the actually tracing errors.

Bringing this thread back since I started it seven years ago. I forgot about this thread and went to the track to run a mile time trial on my birthday. I was at 3.5 laps and the gamin said "ding" - 1 mile. I stopped all puzzled since I was sure the Garmin was accurate but I knew there was no way I was that fast.
As I kept pondering this I remembered this thread and brought it back for anyone wondering what to trust. Trust the track. Or I could trust my Gamin and believe I was that much faster magically!
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: Which is more accurate - Garmin or track? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust the track.

GPS is inaccurate. Run 10 laps on a track and display the results graphically (Garmin connect, TrainingPeaks, Strava etc.) and you’ll understand.

Run a set on a treadmill with the GPS on and display the data and it looks like you were moving around quite a bit and not running in place.

GPS is good enough for roughly measuring pace and distance but can’t be trusted to measure accurate distance.

Sindre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
track.

gps gives bonus distance to curves.
your speed on the straight will be accurate.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I replied to this thread in September of 2013 I was using a Garmin 310

Since then I've gone through a few watches, 920, 230, 935, 945. All of those have been much better than the 310 on the track but I really liked the constant pace updating (1 sec/mile resolution) on the road much better than the later watches (5 sec/mile resolution)
Quote Reply

Prev Next