Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question?
Quote | Reply
Slowman, I was looking at the picture of your experimental bike and it looked much steeper than 81 degrees. I imported it into photo editer and added some lines representing BB to middle of saddle, middle of saddle straight down and BB straight back intersecting with the line straight down from the middle of your saddle (to form a triangle). Using your measurements of 80.5 cm from BB to top of saddle and an estimated (from reference points on the picture) distance of 6 cm middle of saddle behind BB I come up with a seat angle of 86 degrees (cosine .0745). If your saddle is 7 cm behind BB it looks like 85 degrees (cosine .086). Am I looking at this correctly? It sure is a cool looking bike and I'm glad it works well for you (way too low in front for me). Good luck in Shreeveport.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question? [EaganMNTri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I was looking at the picture of your experimental bike"

couple of things going on here. first, the seat post in the photo is not the post i'll be riding. the frame is built at 80 degrees exactly, and the post i'm using is a straight thompson post with the saddle more less in the middle of the rails. so, i'll call it 81 to compensate for the zero-offset saddle.

the post in the photo is a turned-around control tech that came off my existing tri bike, a 78-degree angled bike that needed the control tech to get up to 80 degrees.

otherwise, i think it's just the distortion of the photo. there's no way i could ride 86 degrees and have the bike still be legal, that is, have the saddle nose behind the spot 5cm in front of the BB. but i might buy 82 degrees, depending on where and how you measure.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, assuming you could configures ome road-race bars that would put your body in the same geometry as it is now, would you use the same bike for group racing? (also assuming that'd the bike'd be legal, and assuming you'd resign to always be seated)

Would it handle well enough for such purposes?

Really appreciate your experiment BTW! Seems like, if your experiment finds widespread application, we could end up with frames that could be used well for more than just 1 type of racing.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question? [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
if your experiment finds widespread application, we could end up with frames that could be used well for more than just 1 type of racing.

Come on PG... just admit that you're on the path to one day owning 6 bikes. Embrace it.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn it, a man can dream can't he! Don't tell me I can't race through the trails on my slicks!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure you can. It's called a 'cross bike. #3 on the list.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"would you use the same bike for group racing?"

no, because there's too much weight on your handlebars. steep seat angles and low front-ends only work when you can rest your upper body skeletally. when you have to hold it up muscularly your center of mass must rest closer to the saddle.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't the seat angle on the original QR at 80deg??? Not that you're stealing from anyone... :-)

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman... Experiment in Geometry Question? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wasn't the seat angle on the original QR at 80deg??? Not that you're stealing from anyone... :-)"

yeah, then i got talked out of it and shallowed them to 78. a mistake. bowed to market demands. i let the bastards win. should've held my ground.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply