Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Labour Day (Sept. 2) Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the US & Canadian wimmens are having a good day off.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 2, 13 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Labour Day (Sept. 2) Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11,600 yds of swimming, 40 mi biking, 50 mi running.

M: 8 mi run
T: 40 mi bike
W: 10 mi run + 1900 yd swim
T: 8 mi run + 1200 yd swim
F: 8 mi run + 1000 yd swim
S: 4500 yd swim + 8 mi run
S: 8 mi run + 3000 yd swim

Not the iron-distance week I had planned; had unexpected pool access and took advantage of it. I was also house and dog sitting all week at a place a mile away from my cousin's house, so I had an excellent week of dog walking + cousin time (took her to school Thurs and Fri, did a bread run for my aunt who owns a health food store, had dinner over there almost every night) + one day at the beach with my brother's girlfriend who was visiting from Salt Lake City.

I didn't get as much studying for my test as I had planned... but I will study today (I've done some) and take it tomorrow...

food has been so-so.

Goals for this week = try to get the iron-distance week again!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 2, 13 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 days to wedding. Work's awful. No time. Hate everything (but fiance and MoH). Desperate to go for a ride lately... so of course it rained today.

Day after wedding, I start biking and running every day. I need that. I don't need this. Once. We only get married once.

Did I mention that while I'm on my bachelorette next weekend, he's doing a half IM in Santa Cruz?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Labour Day (Sept. 2) Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hang in there kiddo! Look forward to enjoying your big party in two weeks!

I can feel your pain bc I would also much rather be playing outside than finalizing details on a wedding. But definitely do set aside a little time to work out to keep your sanity. It's amazing how much better you feel if you just give yourself 20-30minutes to play. I hope you get that bike ride in soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week not much training happened. Damn dog bite became infected and told not to workout bc doc was worried about causing infection to spread into muscle & blood stream. He almost threw me in the hospital for a course of IV antibiotics. Instead opted for the super duper stuff which threw my stomach through a loop.

This week - infection now under control but no swimming until puncture wounds heal. It's been two weeks and they are still weeping. Got the ok to get back into running and cycling so it will be interesting to see what happens now that I've had three weeks of not much working out. Goal is to do something every day this week and hope I can swim by the weekend.

It's also time to revisit end of season goals. With three weeks off, I'm not sure if I want to do any more tris this year. Maybe work on my biggest weakness and pick some running races for late fall goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6 (will mean running 2 x at a moto rally on the weekend): WIN! Got it all in, and still had a blast!
- bike x 1: WIN - got one ride in on my tri bike to make sure it's all race-ready.
- swim x 2: WIN though 2nd was shorter than I'd have liked.
- core/strength x 4: WIN

Owned ALL THE WORKOUTS last week, and even ran yesterday evening after riding 220 miles home from the rally despite moonshine and hot tub escapades on Sunday night.

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 2
- swim x 3
- core/strength x 4

Have an olympic distance tri on Saturday and will be volunteering with the water safety team on Sunday morning for the sprint race - kayaking on Georgian Bay! Will be trying to get a long run in on Sunday, though, which may be tough.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week went okay, ended up taking Fri-Mon off. Spent Sat-Mon chasing around my adorable nephew, and we did go swimming once.
Got all my planned M-Th workouts in.
This week-
Tues- Swam this am. Will do a run this evening
Wed- Ride
Thur- Swim/ Run brick
Fri- off
Sat- Short swim/ride
Sun- Race ( I am racing the Long Beach Triathlon for the first time, it's a local race for me that I have never done. It is the same weekend as Nautica Malibu, but after doing Nautica for 3 years I decided to change it up, and a lot of my friends are doing this race).

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope all that had a long weekend had a good one. Seems like we have a mix of really great weeks (congrats ladies) and less than perfect weeks (stick with it! things will improve). And TC - I saw your post in the LR - big hugs to you and your family and friends.

My goals from last week were:
- 2 swims - done. Nothing like getting into the pool for the first time in 7 months and have one of the local tri coaches (who you once trained with) get in the lane next to you. The only good thing is that he was also just starting his training again so it wasn't as hideous as I thought it would be. Plus it was nice to have someone confirm that what I thought was happening with my stroke (not anchoring my left wrist/arm in the pull when I got tired) was really happening. It is going to take some time to rebuild the strength in my arm and get used to what my new "normal' ROM will be. Hopefully I can adapt and get back to where I once was.

- 2 rides - Done. Road once on the CT (and watts were not horrible, not great but better than expected). And once on the XC bike on a local limestone trail. My wrist really doesn't like the XC position. So much stress. Plus the brace they have me wearing doesn't work well. I can't get a good grip on the breaks. While its fine for easy riding on limestone trails, I know I wouldn't feel safe on the road like that. I need to see what changes I can make. Its not an issue on the tri or mtn bike but on the road and XC, it will be an issue.

- 2 runs - Only got one done. My coach had a weird schedule for me that had two-a-days on the days that I coach (we communicated and I got this fixed moving forward). I did the AM workout and had hoped to squeeze a run in before the workout but just wasn't motivated. Playing candy crush on the iphone was way more appealing. Still have no drive to run since my TransRockies finish. But I did do a run on Sat. It was an easy 5 miles with my HM training group. It was nice to chat and catch up with my runners.

and some strength/yoga - done. Still not my favorite. I need to find a way to make this more appealing.

This week's goals:
- 2 swims
- 2 rides
- 2 runs (including a HM on Saturday. I decided to drop from the Marathon to the HM and run it like a workout (not a race). For those keeping up with my run drama, still no decision on the 50 miler. I did talk with the RD and can drop to the 50K as long as I give a weeks notice.
- 2 strength/stretching
- spectating at IMWI (which I firmly believe is harder than racing)

Have a great week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took all of last week completely off. Saturday went for a 30 minute run. Started out feeling awesome then slowly declined in energy until the last 5 minutes was at a shuffle.

Did a fun swim workout Sunday. I suspect it landed on my schedule by accident but it was good so who cares. Got in 2000y which is my biggest swim in 5 years (yikes!) and it didn't kill me.

Worked out a plan with coach to refocus my training. I set a goal of a sub 2 hour half marathon. I've never done it. Until I hit that I won't sign up for another marathon. I've always been so BOP that time cutoffs are a threat during my ultras so I'm going back to the basics for a while longer. Run drills, work in some weight training, lots of speedwork and picking some 5ks and 10ks this fall. I'll do the Seattle Half again this year in November. It is a tough course so I won't set my overall PR there but I'd like to beat my course PR (can't remember what it is right now)

It's funny how you can no longer feel sore but still be recovering. Sheesh I'm tired!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last week
Running 67 miles, w/ long run of 22.3 (ended in 86 degrees, 80% humidity - brutal)
Biking - only once
Swimming - only once, but after hurt wrist I was happy to be swimming at all. I swam w/ wrist brace, really felt odd.

Goals for this week
Running - at least 60 w/ a long run of 20
Biking - 1-2
Swimming 3 x.

GOAL RACE October 26, Marathon 2 marathon.

Happy training to all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished the Slowtwitch Guppies Challenge and did the final 300 yd TT 26 seconds faster than when I started in July (from 5:58 to 5:32). I've been encouraged to join a masters group and set a goal of sub 5:00. I went to my first masters session this morning. There are 3 or 4 coaches who alternate, and the guy who was there today was also coaching the "age group" swimmers, so other than introducing myself, I pretty much stayed safely under the radar. I know that's not where I need to be, but for my first time, I was nervous about being able to understand the lingo and remember what I was supposed to be doing. He started us off doing kick sets. My kick sucks, I barely move, but thanks to the guppy drills, I made it through. If the same people show up tomorrow, I may move up a lane - unless they're doing something other than freestyle, or if it involves flipturns.... The whole point is to put myself in a position where I'll be challenged, so we'll see!

I'm still having trouble with my neck and headaches. My Dr wants me to have an eval to see if it's likely that I had a concussion, and he also suggested considering cervical facet injections for my neck. I don't know how much it matters almost 3 months out if I had a concussion, and I'm not sure they can give a definitive diagnosis - I need to research it a bit. I also need to research the injections. My Dr said it's one of the safer procedures, but I told him if there's anything I can do to avoid it, I'll be patient. I see my PT again on Friday and want to get his thoughts, too.

I got in one trainer ride and one "real" ride - I'm not terrified or white-knuckled when I go out, but I have a hard time with my neck after about an hour, plus I'm just hesitant about even going out on the road. The bike has always been my favorite part of Tri's and I want to get back to loving it. The trainer has always been for rainy days and for one high-intensity workout each week, but other than that, the best part of riding is being outside. I read Jordan Rapp's post after his latest incident, and I could really relate.

I got in a couple of short runs. I've given up on long runs until it cools off. I'm not really training for anything long, so I don't know why I feel that I should be doing14-mile runs (and 60-mile rides) on my long days. I guess that's where I "should" be, but it's not where I am - I have days where I'm really OK with that, and then other days when it just bugs the heck out of me ;-(

On a positive note, our Tri club had a swim clinic on Labor Day, and I was able to keep up with a faster group than usual. We had a picnic afterwards, and there were 8-10 kids in the river playing on a kayak, paddleboard, and a big raft, and all the moms were in the water taking turns supervising, playing, and visiting. I don't take the time very often just to play, and it was really nice. I was hanging out with a 3-year old who was showing me dragons and alligators in the clouds.

Good luck to those who are struggling with injuries - the dog bite sounds horrible! - and with the wedding planning, which sounds stressful! Our 29th anniversary is at the end of this month, and when we talk about our wedding day, my husband still insists that we should have just eloped!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Labour Day (Sept. 2) Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your swim improvement.

post-concussion syndrome can last for quite awhile... I don't have any experience, just remember reading about it. Best of luck with the continued medical stuff.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Labour Day (Sept. 2) Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GOOD LUCK WITH WEDDING DAY THIS WEEK!!!!

Post a pic and a "race report" sometime soon!

Best wishes for a really, really awesomely happy day!!!!
Quote Reply