Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Safety Gadgets
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

Am looking for safety gadgets that clip to a belt or waistband (whistles, pocket knife, etc).

I started running in the mornings, before work, this summer. And since the daylight hours are dwindling and I run solo, I think I need some safety / 'protection' gadgets. I'm more fearful of animal encounters that needing protection from people. For the most part, coyotes. I have seen them randomly in the mornings (different locations, always 'traveling' alone). I already own a headlamp, that I wear around my waist, plus a blinking red light.

I did a general search on Amazon and found some whistles. But am looking for recommendations for any type of gadget before making a purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Safety Gadgets [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about pepper spray? I'm not sure if they make ones that clip onto a belt, but you can always get one of those fuel belt zippered pocket thingies and put it in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I think the coyotes may need protection from you!

Coyotes will only chase you or otherwise act aggressive if they are defending their den and pups and you have inadvertently gotten too close. In Eastern Massachusetts where I live, that typically is mid-April, May, June and into July. If you are simply running down the road, they are not going to ambush you. You might want to read any of the excellent online references about coyote behavior, it should reassure you that they are really not a threat. They are out prowling alone for something to eat and really aren't going to want to tangle with you. They're more interested in mice or other small meals.

If a coyote does try to approach you, the best thing is to face it, wave your arms, make a lot of noise, and get it to back down. You don't want to turn your back and run away.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a satellite phone (DeLorme InReach SE) and nearly had to use the SOS feature on Sunday. I also train solo and got stuck in a severe flash flood that almost ripped my Tri bike from my fingers.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I carry with me: http://www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_6

It has a belt clip built in and easily can slip onto the waist of my running shorts. Not sure what it will do in regards to protection against wild animals but may be worth it to carry.
Quote Reply