Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

An ode to OLN
Quote | Reply
Well not an ode in the true poetic sense, so all of you english majors out there please be kind. This is really just a rhapsody (well not really a rhapsody in the musical sense (so all of you music majors and musicians please be kind) on the twists and turns of life.

This has to do with our moving house last week. We had lived in the same building for 17 years, and 11 years in the same apartment. We were 5 or 6 blocks from the lake including the main tri swim beach, and 10 minutes walk from the gym. I was 10 minutes walk away from work and if it was raining I could actually get most of the way to work underground. In short, I had it good. But "she who must be obeyed" wanted to go and I have to admit that I had grown tired of the noise and chaos of Michigan Avenue not to mention the detriorating state of the building. It was time to go.

So what does this have to do with OLN. First, we didn't have access to it in our old building. Second, after a fairly painless move (except for the usual bleeding ulcer one gets over these type of things) we are now happily in our much larger, much newer place. The view is gorgeous and... (cue the Hallaluah Chorus) I've got OLN.

I have not had the chance to watch it much yet but it's there if I want it. I will not now spend countless hours (minutes?) of my employer's time online trying to get the latest Tour news. Instead I'll be playing hooky watching it on TV. And just think of all the countless good training hours I can now spend in front of the TV watching triathlon rather than participating. At least I'll have a good excuse.

Life is good!! Now if I could just find the box with my bike shoes so I can go take a ride.

(Any misspellings, incorrect punctuation or bad grammar is purely intentional.)
Quote Reply
Re: An ode to OLN [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OLN is great, you just to look for stuff to watch. Unless you are into hunting, fishing and bull riding. I still have not finished watching all the stages of the Vuelta.

Who needs shoes to ride a bike. Just ride barefoot. Remeber the guy that raced IM Brazil that way and qualified for Kona? LOL

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to break the news to you, but your timing is a bit off. OLN's winter cycling coverage is poor. I think they recast the TdF somewhere around December-January, but other than that their cycling coverage ends after the World Championships. Occasionally you may catch a re-air of a triathlon or Running and Racing, but it's never anywhere near prime-time viewing hours. Their cycling coverage should pick back up in mid-April.

Of course, if you like watching some redneck pop a cap in a deer your timing is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: An ode to OLN [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I guess what you are saying is that I can't use OLN to skip a nice brisk Chicago winter run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you could, as long as you don't mind watching hunting, fishing, bull riding or RVing while you're on your rollers :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of IM coverage this Oct. then I may as well cancel cable--it'll never happen.
Quote Reply
Re: An ode to OLN [Rocky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OlN's not much good during the winter unless, like a few others have said, you are into the redneck Olympics.

But, watch out come spring/summer! You won't even need to play hooky from work to watch the tour as it is played three times throughout the day. And the night time coverage is the best b/c there is pregame and postgame stuff. Or you can play hooky and watch all three coverages of it each day. Better save up your sick days. Colds/flu hit you hard in the summer.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by: haennp: Oct 1, 03 21:08
Quote Reply