Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135)
Quote | Reply
It has been a long time since I have posted here but here goes.

I had spinal surgery in 2008 as a result of 2 herniated discs. I posted here (and many other forums) in a panicked attempt to find out what my future might look like in the aftermath of my injury. I was told by a couple physical therapists and doctors that I should give up my dream of running a 100 miler- I was also encouraged by some other medical professionals including my surgeon to keep going.

After much research I found I could find evidence to support any potential outcome- from never run again to returning to training after a couple months.
Well, I am happy to report that currently I am back and 100%recovered. In fact I have become 10 times the athlete I was before my injury.
I still receive messages from many people who are facing surgery themselves and see the trail of my posts along the Internet as they search for comfort and answers.

If this is you, here is a very brief history:

-In 2005 I was on the brink of death. I weighed 320lbs and was suffering from drug and alcohol addiction, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre diabetes and was a life long chronic back pain sufferer.

-I lost 150lbs, found sobriety through endurance sports, ran several marathons, and did a 70.3 Tri.

-I decided I wanted to run the Leadville 100.

-In December of 2007 I was experiencing a range of symptoms including shooting electrical pain in both hamstrings and glutes. I couldn't stand without horrible pain in my right calve.

-January 2008 I was diagnosed with a massively herniated S1/L5 and a bulging L4/L5. I had a steroid injection and tried to return to cycle and swim training.

-After a short time my L4/L5 herniated causing major pain and prevented me from even being able to walk. We tried a second injection of steroids to no avail.

-March of 2008 I had a 2 level microdiscectomy to remove the herniated material impinging the nerves.

-I was cleared to walk after a couple days of rest. I walked approximately 200 feet to the end of my street and back to my house. I collapsed in my chair exhausted and cried.

-I walked and walked and walked over the next several weeks. A quarter mile, a half mile and eventually I was walking 20 miles a week.

-I was cleared to swim- I swam. Like crazy I swam- 3000-4000 meters a day.

-I was cleared to cycle after about 3 months- I did so. I was on my trainer for hours on end.

-I was cleared to run. I didn't. I waited. I was nervous.

-I worked my core like it was my job.

-I ran a mile. It was 10 minutes and it was the most horrible, beautiful mile I ever ran.

-I continued to run. There were set backs- the tingling and ghost numbness would return and scare the shit out of me. I rested- then ran some more.

-7 months to the day of my surgery, in October of 2008, I ran the Denver Marathon. It was on the 3rd anniversary of my sobriety and it was the first marathon I ever ran back in 2006- I took me 5:04 to do it (my precious PR was 3:48)

-What happened next was nothing short of a miracle at least to me. I decided to resume my Leadville 100 dream.

-I entered the Boulder 100 in 2009 after spending the rest 2008 of getting some more base miles in...

- I DNFed the Boulder 100

-I spent all of 2010 training my ass off and finished the Leadville 100 in 28:21.

- I returned in 2011 and ran the Leadville 100 in 23:50.

-7 weeks after Leadville I won the 12 Hours of Boulder (on the same course as Boulder 100) and just missed setting the course record.

-In 2012 I ran across the state of Colorado for charity doing a 50k a day for 10 days in a row.

-This year I completed my lifetime goal of competing in The Badwater 135- I finished in 41 hours.

I put this out there only for the people who need it. I am not a gifted athlete. I am not a special case. If you are injured- Be smart, don't get discouraged and keep fighting for your dream.

David Clark

David Clark
http://www.thesupermanproject.org

-
3x Leadville 100 (23:50) PR
Badwater 135 (41:24)
Lean Horse 100 (20:19)
Run Across Colorado 320 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is quite the journey! Congrats on the accomplishments and thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Extremely impressive comeback!!! You could be the poster boy for a national program to help people overcome addictions of all kinds: food, drugs, alcohol, etc!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done David!

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your experience David. It is very inspiring. John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love these kind of stories. Congrats on you accomplishments and turning your life around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome story, you should be damn proud of yourself.

would love to read a badwater race report from you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely epic! Way to go!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I have been very blessed.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember you and am so glad to see you back!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome story... Congrats on your accomplishment!
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!

So when are you going to write a book?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Great, inspiring story. Can't tell you how important this is to those of us struggling with chronic injuries. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear from you!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP young man,

I thought I would post this thread about his triumphant come back after seeing the other thread of him passing away after a recent back surgery. But better to remember him for what he was able to do!
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for bumping this Dev, he had quite a story. RIP

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks- I'd never had known this otherwise. Inspiring, and shows what CAN be done if you want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome story - Thank you for sharing!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Back Surgery Update (return to slowtwitch after Badwater 135) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1, RIP.
Quote Reply