Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Continuing new bike saga, from Caliente to Typhoon, still need some advice...
Quote | Reply
First of all I'd like to thank everybody for all the help with my new bike.

Well, after the dealer found and shipped a 53cm Caliente frame to me it turns out it was a 700c wheel frame, not 650c as ordered. Then I find out that they cannot find me a 53cm/650 Caliente frame. Just when it appears we are out of options I tell the salesperson that I noticed they had a 53cm/650 '03 Typhoon frame on e-bay that never went off. He checked into it and offered to sell it to me at their cost. Tough to know what "cost" is since the dealers buy built up frames but it seemed like a good deal so I took the Caliente.

For a few days I had both the Caliente and Typhoon frames at my house. I have a accurate digital scale so I thought I pass along the frame weights.

Typhoon - 3lb 9.7 ounces
Caliente - 3lb 0.7 ounces

Yes, the Caliente does feel noticably lighter but the Typhoon frame is just amazing to see.

Some other notable weights:
Ouzo Aero Pro 650 fork - 418 grams plus 50g for the cap
8 speed DA rear derailleur - 209g
DA front derailleur - 91g
SRP Ti 8 speed 12-21 cassette - 166g with steel lockring
Control Tech quill 110mm stem - 230g
Diacomp BRS 200 brakes - 306g, with pads
HED ultralight disc with Continental tire, no cassette or skewer - 1600g!!!
Diacomp brake levers - 182g for the pair
IS6 integrated headset - 58g
Syntace C2 ultralight with all hardware - 417g
Syntace bullhorns - 243g
Terry Liberator Ti-Race - 263g

I'm not really a weight nut, I was taking my old bike apart and had the scale on hand. Man, that HED "ultralight" disc is really heavy. I wonder what the actual weight on the Zipp 909 disc is?

I decided to go 9 DA 9 speed for the new bike. Too much $ and trouble (new cassette width) for the '04 DA 10 speed stuff.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Continuing new bike saga, from Caliente to Typhoon, still need some advice... [mdileo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Yeah, those HED disks are pretty heavy...Yours is a 650C tubular and is still heavier than a 700C Renn (yes, I took the plunge and am quite pleased...See lin-mark.com for Patriots Day Triathlon 2003 results).

I've seen people post actual weights of the Zipp disk, and seen it weighed in a shop and it is nearly right on the 960 grams advertised weight. When you pick it up, you won't believe how light it feels, lighter than most spoked wheels. But, it should be for over $1,000.

MC
Quote Reply
Re: Continuing new bike saga, from Caliente to Typhoon, still need some advice... [mdileo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark

Did you have an opportunity to test ride both the Tiphoon and Caliente? If so can you comment on relative difference? As I understand it they are identical geometry so this would be an interesting comparison. Both of these are on my short list for new bike this off season. Although not sure I can convince myself Tiphoon is worth the big bucks. Kind of interesting that the ti frame is so much heavier... I have looked at one close up and it is indeed a piece of beauty.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Continuing new bike saga, from Caliente to Typhoon, still need some advice... [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I did not have a chance to ride either bike. I guess it's a little crazy but I bought on what I've heard, read, and a gut feeling. I have to tell you, if you're not sure about the Typhoon and haven't rode either, I would seriously consider the Caliente since there is a LARGE price differential. It's a really nice frame but I do wonder how the carbon-aluminum bonding area to the dropouts and seatpost will hold up over the years though.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Continuing new bike saga, from Caliente to Typhoon, still need some advice... [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Cobb has some comment about the caliente and typhoon somewhere on his site. He describes the Caliente as a "poor man's Typhoon."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, I did ride both a TiPhoon and a Caliente before deciding on the Caliente. To be fair, there was a difference in the frame size between the two; 59 cm in the Ti and 61 cm in the Caliente. At 6'2" I am kind of "between" frames so in order to get the cockpits identical we had to use a 100 mm stem on the Caliente and a 130 mm on the TiPhoon (even w/ the Caliente being bigger it was lighter). On the trainer while being fitted I could not tell which bike I was on so the fits were well done. My ride impression of the Caliente was one of smoothness. All I can say is that even though I was zipping along at times it didn't feel like it. The bike was very stable, climbed well, cornered predictably and braked under control (even panic stops). The TiPhoon felt differently (and not necesarily better) but not enough to justify the additional price. The only negative with going with the 61 cm frame (vs. 59 cm) is that I had a greater ability to go lower because of the shorter head tube. This is not a factor for me as I still have room to go down on the 61 cm but it may be for someone else. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Continuing new bike saga, from Caliente to Typhoon, still need some advice... [EaganMNTri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for you Mr. Great White North:

Does it feel comfortable even on long rides or on lousy road surfaces? I have been riding carbon frames for last six years and have this "fear" of aluminum. I'm sure it is not a rational fear given improvements in design and manufacturing of aluminum bikes but still have a bias for CF. My plan was to see what the new KM40 looked like but really liked the Caliente when I took one for a 20 minute test ride at a bike shop. Seemed to fit me perfect. For some reason I can't seem to convice myselft the material doesn't matter.

In any event, thanks for your great input on the bike. Sounds like you are very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMike, I have not had the Caliente on a real long ride (longest is 24 miles) but it was very comfortable. As far as bad road surfaces go, again it seems to do a very good job of soaking them up. I've never ridden carbon fiber before (always thought I was too big) so I can't give you a direct comparison. I can tell you that it is more comfortable than my P2K (I just sold this bike). While the P2K wasn't harsh in any way, the caliente is just so much smoother. That was my dilema about sizing in that a 58 cm cervelo is inbetween a 59 and a 61 cm QR. I'm not sure why but when between frames, I've always felt better on the bigger frame. In the case of the 59 cm TiPhoon and the 61 cm Caliente, they're pretty close so getting the same cockpit (as each other as well as the P2K) was not an issue. Nothing really jumped out at me, it was more just a subjective feeling, I felt better on the Caliente. Could have been the larger size, the frame material a combination, I'm not sure. One more thing about sizing (to show you how bizarre it can be) is the other bike I was seriously considering was the Javelin Arcole and the size that fit me in that frame was a 57 cm. However, "key" measurements of the frame were VERY close to 61 cm QR (the arcole actually had a longer top tube center to center). Go figure. Good luck on your decision.
Quote Reply