Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 22 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone had a good week... crazy busy with school here ...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent week.
Bike 2x because I spent the weekend away from home running through the woods.
Swim -0 same reason as the bike
Run - 30 mi, 6 runs, all for the 3 day race. Had a really fun time and was pretty happy with my speeds.

6 weeks counting this one left in the residency.
Can't wait for it to be over.

This week's goals - get back on track with the run mileage and biking/swimming.
swim 1x, bike 3x, run 6x
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goal for this week: at least 112 mi on the bike (not all at once ;-), swim at least twice, running whatever I feel like.

The only one I succeeded in was the running - super, super busy with schoolwork right now. I have a midterm tomorrow.
The big news is I got a new bike! I test-rode it Friday and brought it home that night. I'll get some pictures up soon. It's a Trek Lexa SLX in cherry/white. The women's specific frame fits really well and it's pretty comfy, as far as bikes go. I'm rather fond of it.

M - 5 mi run + 45 min yoga + 25 mi bike
T - 12 mi run
W - 5.3 mi run + 6000 yd swim
T - 8.5 mi run
F - 8 mi run + 45 min yoga + 10 mi bike
S - 13.1 mi run
S - 36 mi bike

Totals: 6000 yd swim, 71 mi bike, 52 mi run, 4 mi walking (cooldowns! With the heat last week, it felt so good to be drenched in sweat and in front of a fan on the treadmill walking post-run) and 1.5 hours yoga.

Goals for this week: swim 1-2x, bike 112 mi (not all at once ;-), running whatever I feel like. So far I have 2 runs and 36 mi on the bike done. I just got back from the ride - in the rain - it actually felt good to be outside in it; cleared my head. Well, not totally, I am still stressing, but it was helpful.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 5: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN with 4
- swim x 4: WIN including my fastest tri swim ever at the relay
- core/strength x 4: WIN

The relay tri was a hoot - race report is here. We had another event that afternoon, too; a memorial and awareness ride for fallen cyclists, which was a neat experience. Got a decently long (10 mile) trail run in on Sunday as I start to build for the Midsummer 30k in August, and had an awesome ride on my birthday!

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week:
Swim x 4: done!
Bike x 5: done!

Same plan for this week, with a bit more intensity. I go back to the PT on Thursday to see how I'm doing and find out if I can run yet.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy belated bday!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a train wreck. Last week I had a sinus infection sneak up on me as a result of the prior weekend's racing. So I wound up taking Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday completely off. Couple that with a dose of antibiotics, inhaled & oral steroids, anithistamines & my normal medications I've been way off volume. Having an obvious mental affect too. This whole month has been off-kilter from a volume standpoint.

Did go paddle my kayak with a new group on Tuesday night & had a blast. And went on a group ride on Thursday that kicked my tail but was fun. Paddled on my own on Sunday after swimming OW so that was a nice way to relax a bit after Saturday's complete inactivity.

M - PM Swim (5200 SCY)
T - AM Swim - FAIL, PM - Full Moon Paddle (weather looks iffy, I'll swim if we don't paddle since I bailed this morning)
W - AM Swim (LCM), PM Swim (SCY)
R - PM Bike (24 mi)
F - AM Swim (LCM) PM - Leave for vacation

Not sure what'll happen after we leave for vaca. May or may not wind up with any sort of workouts throughout the week. For now I'm focusing on staying sane, getting the steroids & antibiotics out of my body, surviving my period & hoping that life returns to some semblance of emotional stability next week.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in 30 miles of walking, inc. 3 miles of run at 1 minute increments, and 4 hours of easy bike on the trainer. It's progress.

This week I get to "run" at a ratio of 3 minutes walk/2 minutes run. Goal is total of 36 miles walk and 4.5 hours bike. Going to take the bike out on the road this weekend for the first time in many months.

See the sport doc tomorrow for re-eval. Here's hoping I "earned" a 4th day of training with all my core work. Also started acupuncture yesterday for chronic pain management. That was different. I'll start a new thread on that.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK week. I'm really failing on my long runs though and need to get those worked out. I'm heading out too fast then usually blow up about 2 hours in. I've got a couple more before the marathon so I need to get this fixed. My hydration is better and nutrition seems good, now I just need to slow down!

My nutrition is coming along. I'm losing inches and pounds while still hitting my calorie goals and feeling strong. Getting my base number of calories figured out then eating to account for that day's training has been awesome. I'm not even targeting weight loss anymore and it is still coming off. I've cut back a lot on crap food which has helped. I keep putting on jeans and finding them loose.

I have been really tired lately so I've been going to bed earlier. Once I'm in bed I sleep pretty well. I got my iron and B12 tested. Iron is good, B12 is a little low so I'm supplementing. Maybe that will help. I just switched the sleep schedule and added supplements a couple days ago so it's too soon to tell if they are affective.

This past Monday a friend died from colon cancer. She was diagnosed stage 4 last fall and for a while it looked like she was going to kick it. Two months ago it came back with a vengeance and there wasn't anything they could do. She was younger than me and has two kids who are teenagers. It was devastating to watch her go through it and I wasn't even there day to day, most just online contact after she got really ill. Her death inspired me to contact friends I hadn't seen in a while and I'm filling my schedule with get togethers. Life is too short to lose a good friend just because you got busy.

Take time this week to reach out to everyone you care about and let them know how important they are to you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss. Her poor kids :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a tough loss. Two years ago a dear friend of mine in her 30s died of aggressive breast cancer, leaving behind three young children--and many friends that still miss her. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: Bike x2, Run x2, swim x1. Mon & tues off (craziness at the beginning of 2nd session summer school) worked a swim meet on Saturday (turns out I'll have worked 4 weekends in a row at various swim meets.)
This week
Mon- swim -done (2600 yds)
Tues- yoga- fail
Weds- run (before going to run injury prevention clinic)
Thurs- open water swim/run
Fri- may run (working swim meet in Mission Viejo)
Sat- may bike (working swim meet again)
Sun- long bike
getting back in the groove, coach wants me to do more of my workouts, but don't have a schedule for this week yet.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some progress, some setbacks, trying to stay upbeat and positive. My PT said he thinks I'm overtraining, which almost made me laugh (or cry) because I feel as if I'm doing so little. He's good at reading me and doing whatever he can to help me deal with the mental part as well as the physical. We talked about doing some strength training and about getting my fast-twitch muscles activated (assuming I have some!), and he set up a workout for me after my PT session - it was tough but felt awesome! We also talked about needing to rest to heal. I haven't been sleeping well because my head, neck, and/or shoulder ache, and I hate taking meds because they mess up my stomach, but I've gone back to taking them at least after my PT sessions when I know I'm going to be sore.

I'm also enjoying working with my little group of newbies in the open water - I'm still a "guppy" and my sighting isn't great, but my goal is to just help them get over the fear of swimming in water that you can't see through. It's so rewarding when they realize they can handle it. I'm hoping to get a bigger group out in the next couple of weeks so they can practice a mini-mass start with some contact.

My bike is still in the shop, so I haven't had to deal with getting back on it, and I'm actually getting a little impatient. I did get a new helmet and think I'm ready mentally to at least go for a ride in a nearby park with almost no vehicle traffic. It's been nice to see how many people have offered to come and ride with me, but I think I'm going to go with one or two good friends with whom I've ridden before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well not great but I ended up riding 3x after all - elbow didn't like it day 1 but it's OK now. Kids call it the Zombie Elbow. It's still gross. I can't keep it bandaged as it just stays goopy. So I have these odd situations at work where I have to try and keep it outta site but without covering it. Spent the weekend relaxing with the fam at the beach, it was nice to do a lot of walking and loafing. :-)

This week I had all these plans to get back at the running. Ran Monday just fine, did some stretching & core work at lunch, lots of walking. Yesterday tho, the hip/glute in/lower back/ab/psoas thingy started again. So I bailed and just walked. Trying to catch it earlier now. I'm still riding to and from work, and I think, no I know, the riding is probably not helping, but I'm not convinced that it's hurting (i.e.: making it worse). As long as I keep moving I am ok-ish, but if I sit at my desk for too long, and then get up, it's super stiff. Lots of time withe a golf ball under my butt/back these days. :-( Will get to Physio next week when the work sked is more accommodating. I am dealing with a major customer problem right now so fingers crossed I do not have to go to the site (Gudalajara MX) next week.

Sigh. Good thing my A race is long done....

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply