Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are aero front mounted water bottles UCI/USCF legal?
Quote | Reply
I ran across this UCI/USCF rule and I want to clarify it:

1.3.024 Any device, added or blended into the structure, that is destined to decrease, or which has the effect of decreasing resistance to air penetration or artificially to accelerate propulsion, such as a protective screen, fuselage form of fairing or the like, shall be prohibited. A protective screen shall be defined as a fixed component that serves as a windscreen or windbreak designed to protect another fixed element of the bicycle in order to reduce its wind resistance. A fuselage form shall be defined as an extension of a section. This shall be tolerated as long as the ration between the length and diameter do not exceed 3. A fairing shall be defined as the use or adaption of a component of the bicycle in such a fashion that it encloses a moving part of the bicycle such as the wheels or the chainset. Therefore, it should be possible to pass a rigid card between the fixed structure and the moving part.

OK now, does this mean that aerobar mounted bottles are illegal? Are they considered a windshield? What about older designs from Profile and HED, are these larger plastic bottles illegal also? Anyone have any insight here? Seems that the USCF has adopted the UCI's rules on this matter.

Gary
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero front mounted water bottles UCI/USCF legal? [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for bringing up this subject. I've been unclear about this too.

I did my first time trial on the 13th. It was a USCF sanctioned local TT. I brought my profile aero bottle and asked around to see if it was legal to use it. No one could tell me for sure. I didn't get a chance to ask the head ref if it was legal or not cause I had to go warm up. I chose to use it knowing that I might have to take it off at the starting line. When I got to the starting line the ref was there and I didn't say anything about it, neither did he. I don't know if he let me ride with it on because it is infact legal, I'm only a Cat 5, or he just didn't notice it. Then, at the end of the race I was so exited to have finally done my first TT, I forgot to go back and ask him. I've got to remember to ask him next time I see him.

IMHO, maybe as long as the bottle doesn't exceed the 3:1 rule and can pass a card between it and the head tube, it's ok. I'm gonna go measure my profile bottle right now.

BTW, speaking of the HED aerobottle. I was on ebay today and saw one up for auction.

I'd also love to hear other people's opinions or experiences regarding this rule and how it was interpreted.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Are aero front mounted water bottles UCI/USCF legal? [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are legal (at least for USCF). The rule has always been interpreted as something addied solely to aid aerodnamics, such as a fairing like on a motorcycle. The bottle has another function (drinking). That said the UCI interpretes the rules somewhat oddly. If a small american team uses them first they are likely to be banned. If an Italian team uses them they will be OK.
Quote Reply