Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit and pool chemicals...
Quote | Reply
I want to start training in my wetsuit once every week or so at my local pool. Aside from looking like an idiot because I am wearing a wetsuit in a pool that is heated to a balmy 82 degrees, is there any chance that the chlorine can damage it?

I have a QR Ultra Full.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and pool chemicals... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, chlorine is bad for your suit. You will need to rinse the suit thoroughly with fresh water immediatly after leaving the pool- take the suit off to rinse it. Also, limit the time you are in the pool with the suit on. The chlorine is hard on the suit- any suit. If you rinse it quickly and completely you should be OK but just using it in the pool may shorten its lifespan to a small degree.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
chlorine isn't good for it.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the few times I've used a wetsuit in the pool I rinsed it afterwards, then washed it once I got home with wetsuit shampoo (or baby shampoo, much the same thing). No discernible bad effects yet, suit is several years old.

Since chlorine is hard on everything else (swimsuits, skin, breathing, etc) and is highly reactive, I'd imagine the chances for damage are good.
A quick Google on chlorine and neoprene gets:
Neoprene, natural rubber, and styrene-butadiene elastomers contain carbon-carbon double bonds as an essential part of their polymer chains.These bonds are susceptible to oxidative damage from species such as ozone and chlorine.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and pool chemicals... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bring lots of drinking water, as cold as possible. you won't believe how hot you'll get.
Quote Reply