Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best substitute for running
Quote | Reply
Dear All,

I am a long term Triathlete. I did my first Hawaii Ironman in 1982 and have completed 27 since then. I used to run faster (10k in 36:30 way back when). I am swimming at the top of my age group (55-59) and cycling near the top. But the running? It sucks.

Reason: running injures me. Calves especially. The question is: What is the best substitute for running? I have been doing a lot of time on an eliptical trainer with 90 rpms and enough resistance to keep my heart rate in good range, and that seems to be pretty good.

Any ideas?

I am now running 1 day a week or sometimes two. Any more I have problems.

Three 45-60 minute workouts on the eliptical with good heart rate and no problem and no injury. But it hasn't translated into fast paced running.

Help!

dm
Quote Reply
Re: Best substitute for running [DMMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DMMD,

Have you tried mixing the eliptical up with the treadmill or a stair climber? Also, would you send me your secrets to your successful training regimen? I'm 48 and I am very impressed by what you have accomplished.

-Jim-

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Though I don't own a pair (yet), Powercranks are said to give an incredible boost to your running ability. If I'm not mistaken, yaquicarbo has even said that he doesn't need to run as often as he once did because he is getting a running workout while on his PCs. I also remember reading that Steve Larsen has a similar problem to yours, i.e. gets injured when he ups the miles, so he is getting his "running" in while riding on PCs.

Again, I'm just reporting what I have read. Do a search on the site for Powercranks and you will get everything you ever wanted to read, and more (much, MUCH more).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing some water running twice a week. I'm trying to push the envelope a bit on my run fitness, without pounding myself to bits. 20-30 minutes in the pool with simple running motion. No flotation devices -- just using hands to hold place. I go 1 minute hard, 30 seconds easy over and over again. This is a whacking hard workout if done right. It really surprised me how hard it is. I did 20 minutes right after a 60 minute run on Monday and I was drained, but without the pounded-leg feeling I get from a long run. Today, I'll run 2 miles to the pool, do 20 minutes of water running, and run back to the office.

It's very similar to what you get out of a Powercranks workout. Lots of hip flexor and hamstring work.

You might also try a treadmill. Many people with chronic issues find relief on a treadmill.

Finally -- something is causing your calf pain. I'd go see a good sports therapist and get it figured out. You might need orthotics or different shoes or who knows what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best Masters triathletes in my area (47 yo) is a religious water runner. He is also injury prone due to run training, and he thinks it is almost as good as the real thing. He claims that proper technique is the key to H2O running.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also an older age (50-55) AG triathlete that has an issue with running. That issue is absolutely hating it. I came from a running background in highschool as a 100 m sprinter, so long distance running has never been my strength.

I ran a 5 kms fun run race on the weekend and set my second fastest ever time. This has been with minimal running all summer tri season but with long hours spent on the bike. I usually participate in a 5 or 10 km run race about once a month but most of my training for this is never consistant. Essentially I'm a cyclist who enjoys doing sprint/Oly tris. I've concluded that cycling and X-country skiing does help with running somewhat.

However I'm sure that there is no substitute for actually getting out and running if you wish to be a good runner. If I really hammer on the bike sometimes a podium AG finish is possible, but if ever to get really serious about tri and be on the AG podium consistantly then I'll have to devote more time to running. I am very aware of this, but what the heck, life is short and I'd much rather be riding the bike.

I've found over the years that if ever to get an injury, running will be the likely cause. I had a bit of shoulder problems with swimming that went away with stroke correction and the bike doesn't hurt one bit barring a crash, but I've had all kinds of pain asociated with running.

My wife is a serious runner and a groin pull sidelined her training this past winter for three months.

A number of posters have claimed the PC cranks have improved their running as well as their biking. You might want to investigate this further. IMO, anything that might improve running without having to actually run is worth looking into.

" a triathlon is just a TT with a warm up swim and cool down jog attached at either end"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water running for sure. Although it is SOOO boring, you can really get am amazing workout if you focus on what you are doing. Earlier this season, I had a class 4 ankle sprain from trail running. I could not do anything for two weeks then was limited to water running for 4 weeks, then soft gravel after that. I would do 2 sessions a week in the pool for around 50 minutes to an hour as my run substitute. But be warned, after about 30 minutes is can be painfully boring. But it is absolutely worth it.

When I started back on the road, I lost very little endurance. In fact, I was just as strong if not stronger. It probably took me about 2 or three road run's to get the feel back, but I was at normal milage shortly after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DMMD, you are a total stud. I'd like to be able to run when I am 55. I'm 38 and have been doing tris for 18 years. I try to avoid running off pavement at all costs except on race day. I pay the price on race day, but I think it saves me. XC skiing is a great replacement for running if you live somewhere cold 4 months a year. I also got a set of Powercranks, and initially I found that they helped my running as I did short rides at high RPMs, but when I started doing 6 hour rides, I ended cranking more, and my legs were pretty fried for a lot of my summer runs. Now, I have cut back on training and doing shorter 60-90 min rides at high RPM on powercranks and the transfer to running is great. You may want to try this.

Anyway, any advice we give a vet like you is likely something that you already know. I just hope I can run when I am your age. At the moment, I have 11 Ironmans under my belt, and I hope to get up to what you and Joe Boness are at (except I do 1 Ironman a year and Joe does 5) !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another tactic might be to try to self-treat the injuries you get from running so that you can maintain the mileage/pace you need to get to your goals.

I have nowhere near the experience at this that you do, but for the few years I've been running I've been plagued by IT band syndrome. When I up my mileage or do hard runs, that turns into locked-up left leg syndrome, and I have to take several days off to avoid really wrecking myself. Cycling seems to make it worse.

Since I'm training for a marathon, I've recently started a combination of massaging and stretching my legs after every workout and before my long runs, and it's really helping. I got some 1.5 inch dowel from the hardware store and cut an 18" length. After my run, I can use it to work out the kinks in my leg, then stretch the muscles out. (If I can't bring the dowel, I use my forearm & fists.) By doing it religiously, I've been able to increase to 3 runs during the week and an almost pain-free 20+ mile long run on the weekend. I admit, my leg seems to hurt the day after the long run, but I don't get the "hard to heal" injuries like patellar tendonitis that I used to get. And I'm better by two days after my long run. Also, I think the additional flexibility is helping me lengthen my stride, which is a very good bonus.

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running now for about 20 years and cycling for about the same amount of time.

During that time I remember being injured enough not to be able to run on only two occasions. The first came after a particularly foolish interval workout where my teammates and I finished our repeats with 25-second 200 meter laps on an unbanked indoor track. I could barely walk the next day and was limped through the rest of the indoor season. The second was a bad case of IT band problems that didn’t get better with rest.

I use these two example to illustrate why most people are injured running.

1) They run too fast or too much before their body is ready for it. 2) They don’t stretch enough. Neither one of these is a problem when cycling, because the range of dynamic motion on the bike if very limited.

Nearly all leg problems can be alleviated with four basic stretches. A) Hamstring stretch B) Calf stretch C) ITB stretch and finally a D) Quad stretch. All the muscles and tendons are connected together and tightness in one affects the other. When I was a kid or even in my 20’s it didn’t matter. Now that I am in my mid-30’s I feel it if I get lazy and don’t take the time.

Problem 1 is much harder to remedy. We are not patient and we always push too hard. I used to run low miles with lots of speedwork. Now I run twice as many miles with half as much speed. The result? Faster run times than 10 years ago when I was in college. My advice to anyone who has running injuries would be to start slowly and build up their mileage until they get to 40 or 50 a week. Until you run that much, no speedwork you do will make you as fast as you will be by building a bigger aerobic engine. If I was older and my goal was to do Ironmans, I would never do speedwork. Leave it for the guy who can do Kona in under nine hours.

Oh, and I also change out my shoes very frequently. Some might think it expensive to spend $70 on shoes every other month, but it keeps my feet happy and I keep on running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i also have some pretty severe biomechanical issues with my running (bow legs, over-pronation, etc.). i agree with deep water running. lots of research to back it up too, just do a google search and you'll find tons of articles on it. in my experience those elliptical trainers you find at the gyms aren't worth sh*t. i've also found trail running and running on a good treadmill helpful as neither one beats you up quite as much as running on the road.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Best substitute for running [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While my reasons for not running are different than yours (I am 22 weeks pregnant and running more than 3 miles a week is just not comfortable nor realistic), I wholeheartedly encourage you to try the water running, or if the boredom of water running is killing you, a deep water aquafit class. Most of the motions in these classes are running, most classes are 1hr to loud music and you get to interact with others. While doing these classes, I pass on the floatation belts and devices they offer you, and get an even better workout. It feels like a good tempo run at the end of it.
Quote Reply