Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet fit
Quote | Reply
I bought a size M Giro helmet the other day (I think it's an Eclipse). The guy at the store helped me fit it and said he thought the M fit better than the L. Even though the lock adjustment at the back was fully extended and didn't click in at all, this helmet was more secure on my noggin and didn't wiggle around as much as the size L.

I took it home and put it on and took a better look in the mirror. The thing *looks* too small to me -- like it's perched on top of my head. There's 1.5 to 2 inches between the helmet and the top of my ear. It does cover my forehead, but I feel like it should come down further on the sides and back of my head like my old lid. Does this matter?

FWIW, I have a "tall" head and I have a very hard time finding running hats that come down far enough to stay put.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't get any giro helmet to fit me right... They just look too tall on my noggin nd don't come down far enough. I don't have that problem with the Bell helmets, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old helmet is a Bell -- maybe there's something to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. That's weird. I can tell you this: When you evaluate helmet fit think of it in these terms- The helmet must stay on your head THROUGHOUT an impact with a car and then the pavement. That means, it must stay on between the primary and secondary impacts.

I was a cyclist who acted as the victim in the reenactment of the fatal accident of best friend, Michael R. Rabe, who died May 2nd of this year. He was rear-ended by a small car travelling at a minimum of 30 mph and likely somewhat faster, perhaps as fast as 40+ mph according to investigators. I rode the same course as Michael R. Rabe did the night of his accident, on the same bike, in the same clothes and helmet while forensic investigators evaluated the crime scene and video taped the reenactment. Rabe's death was ruled a "negligent homicide". I also examined the gruesome crime scene photos. Based on my observation of the photos and the nature of the victim's injuries- and I must emphasize these are my assumptions only, not necessarily based on any fact other than my examination of the crime scene photos and participation in the reenactment: RAbe helmet was ejected from his by the primary impact with the vehicle. This impact was (likely, in my layman's estimation) not fatal. The secondary impact, his head with the concrete, inflicted the fatal injuries.

Less than 40 minutes before Michael R. Rabe died I tried his helmet on. It was a new helmet (it is inappropriate to identify the brand and model I feel)and was the topic of some discussion prior to his departure from our store. Michael R. Rabe and I wore the same helmet size with the helmets adjusted similarly. In the moths prior we made a point of switching helmets during a ride to try each other's helmets out. We made no adjustment during the switch and they fit fine- very snug and correctly positioned.

Here's my point (at last): The thing HAS to fit right. If it doens't it could cost you your life. I believe Michael R. Rabe helmet WAS correctly adjusted and DID fit him correctly. I tried it minutes before his fatal accident. It appears to STILL have been ejected due to unknown factors.

Whatever you do, make sure you helmet fits correctly and be picky about adjusting it. If your life depended on it (and it does), would you trust it?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a good test to see if the helmet fits. Put it on your head, and without securing the chin strap, turn your head upside down. If the helmet falls off right away, it doesn't fit well. I always do this test, and refuse to use any helmets except the Limar F105/F107. I'm not saying they are the best for you, you have to try all of them on, those are the ones I know work for me (especially the 105 which saved my life in an awful car accident).

If the helmet slips right off, return it and try on a new one. As for what it covers, the helmet should protect your brain case from front, side and rear collisions with the ground, vehicle, whatever. It doesn't have to cover down to your ears, it should cover your temples though. Anything lower and it probably doesn't do you any more benefit. What situation would the helmet not protect you in? You may want to get on the floor and try different head positions if you are worried. Is there a way for your brain case to touch the ground with the helmet on?

Ok - enough rambling - hope it helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. When looking for new helmets, I thought the Giro Eclipse '02 was a sweet looking helmet that I would like to own. Then I went to try one on and was thoroughly disappointed. I continued to wear my old helmet (Bell brand) until I tried a Bell Phi Pro that was on sale at Performance. It was sweet and very reasonable at less than $50. At this point, I'm sticking with Bell until they no longer continue to fit my noggin.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've decided that while the helmet may fit perfectly snugly, it does not protect my entire head to my satisfaction. There's no protection for the back sides of my melon. I'll take it back. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Quote Reply