Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I've made my new bike choice...
Quote | Reply
It came down the Javelin Arcole and the QR Caliente, I took both home and rode them on my normal routes (about 60 miles on each) but in the end it was the Caliente that got my money. The fit on both was very close (I would say identical) with all key cockpit lengths being the same. What really swung me to the Caliente was how smooth it rode. Bad chip seal and even bridge expansion joints were much smoother on the Caliente with none of the frame "buzz" that I felt with the Arcole. To make sure the tests were the same I used my training wheels for both at the same PSI. Other factors were DuraAce on Caliente versus an Ultegra Gruppo on the Arcole as well as the Caliente being $450 less expensive (that just kind of sealed the deal). While the Caliente may not have the "cool" factor that the Javelin would have had (let's face it , QR's are everywhere but I learned that probably is for a reason) but it worked out to be better bike for me. Now I just have to wait for next season to see the impact on my results. Thanks to everyone who did give me feedack on both bikes last week, they were helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: I've made my new bike choice... [EaganMNTri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Javelin is a sharp bike, but I think the Claiente has plenty of "cool factor". I saw one a few weeks ago and thought it looked awesome. Are the seat stays carbon fiber on the Caliente? I think they are and suppose that is the reason for the smoother ride. I ahve been lusting for a carbon bike but this may be a good alternative.

Good luck with our new bike,
Dennis
Quote Reply
Re: I've made my new bike choice... [dennisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Caliente also has carbon spokes (Spinergy Xaero) and a carbon seatpost. I would guess they contribute more to the smooth feel than the seatstays. I test rode one and really liked it. In fact, I probably would have bought one if they were available frame-only. Are you listening American Bicycle Group?
Quote Reply
Re: I've made my new bike choice... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they aren't. Our Litespeed sales went to practically nil this year after a strong season last year. It was becasue of their ridiculous "complete bike" policy. When we buy complete bikes from ABG we have to play a long, expensive and frustrating shell game to spec the bike for the customer. Consumers in those price points don't want complete bikes. RETAILERS in those price points don;t wnat exclusively complete bikes. They want the choice. Frame or complete bike. Rumor mill suggests ABG may return to frame only sales. That would be a great idea for them. If they did, we could sell $150,000+ more of their bikes at wholesale every year. Complete bikes at that level don;t make sense to the retailer. They may make sense to ABG, but then again, ABG doesn't have to buy them...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I've made my new bike choice... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I am concerned ABG - DESTROYED Litespeed.

I called them...I want another Ultimate...I want it WITHOUT a Integrated Headset and and WITHOUT that stupid carbon seat stay get up. I am willing to pay more for the changes (and really just makes it a 2000-2001 Ultimate). Not only were they not willing...they were pretty damn rude to me about it and thought it was a "dumb idea"...you know what...there are many custom frame guys who dont think that consumers have to many dumb ideas. Especially when all I am really looking for is a bike like they used to make. Oh...and no more polished frames!!! Ignorant.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: I've made my new bike choice... [EaganMNTri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Caliente is a sweet bike. I test rode one a few weeks ago. I am going to hold out to see what the new KM40 looks like before I decide. Have you seen the 2004 Caliente? Comes with Kryseriums (sp?) vs the Spinergy's. I have been riding carbon bikes for last 10 years but must confess the Caliente rode pretty nice...better than I expected. I even made the dealer pump up the tires to near max pressure and rode it on some crappy roads.
Quote Reply
Re: I've made my new bike choice... [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went another group ride last night (25 miles) the first time in the "configuration" I wanted it. Not sure about the complete bike vs. frame only but my LBS did allow me to change out parts for small upcharges. I left most of the components alone (f/r deraillurs DuraAce, brakes Ultegra, BB Ultegra and cranks Truvative). I did switch out the Profile Design base bar/aero bars (very cheasy) to an Oval Concepts one peice base bar/aero bars ($100) and I did buy the bike w/o wheels (-$250). I already have two sets of training wheels and wanted to put that money (as well as the $450 difference between Caliente and Javelin) towards a set of HED H3 race wheels which I p/u this morning. I am not sure why the bike is so smooth, I'm sure carbon fork, seat stays and seat post all have somthing to do with it. On the ride last night the bike continued to amaze me. One thing I did find interesting is that I spoke w/QR before buying and asked the rep if the AN6 aluminum was the same as that being used in the Litespeed Aluminum road bikes (a proprietary version of AN6 called ALite) and he said yes. Not sure if this has anything to do with the feel of the frame but I know the bikes by Litespeed have gotten very good reviews. All I can say is I am very happy with the Caliente and can't wait to next year's tri season.

Re: the 2004 Caliente it is on the QR web site (www.rooworld.com). Unfortunately I like the color scheme of the 2003 better but most people seem to think the 2004 are pretty cool. The only difference that I was aware of was the seat stays are going to be bladed for better aero (and the color scheme). Other than that, it is the same bike. Hope this info helps.
Last edited by: EaganMNTri-Guy: Sep 24, 03 12:15
Quote Reply